Example of how much scheduling has changed. ...

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
over the years. This was the Gophers' nonconference schedule 30 years ago (1979-80), the year they finished second in the NIT. Though I know it will never happen, wouldn't it be cool to have a nonconference slate at least resemble this again? By today's count that would be 4 major-conference opponents coming to The Barn, not to mention 2 others on the road.

EASTERN MICHIGAN
FRESNO STATE
NORTH DAKOTA
NEBRASKA
at Tennessee
at Florida State
KANSAS STATE
RUTGERS (Pillsbury Classic)
TEXAS A&M (Pillsbury Classic)

Please note, I'm aware that some of these schools, i.e. Florida State (then Metro) and Rutgers (then A-10), now participate in stronger conferences.

Without looking up records for that specific year, I would question how good K-State, Rutgers, Tennesee or Nebraska were that year. And as you said, FSU was essentially a mid-major at the time. I'm not defending this year's schedule, but those names probably look more impressive in 2009 then they did then. Nebraska is not now, nor have they ever been good for more then 1 season at at ime. Tennesee's success is mostly recent. And I'm not sure K-state did much before Lon Krueger got there.

"But those names probably look more impressive in 2009 then they did then."

I don't disagree, but it's at least arguable.

Consider. ...

Florida State, Kansas State, Tennessee & Texas A&M all made the NCAA Tournament in 1979-80. ALL OF THEM them won at least one game in the NCAA Tournament that year, with A&M winning two. Tennessee was in the midst of 5 straight NCAA appearances (79-83), and 7 in 8 years.

Also, Rutgers was coming off a season (1978-79) in which it beat Georgetown in the NCAA Tournament.

"Nebraska is not now, nor have they ever been good for more than 1 season at a time."

Regarding Nebraska, I would respectfully argue that. Danny Nee did have decent success in Lincoln. Despite not winning a NCAA Tournament game, the Huskers made 4 straight NCAAs from 1991-94.

Different Tournament, Too

When you indicate the tournament success of the 79-80 NC foes, don't forget the tournament was at least 25% smaller (48 teams?), making the accomplishment that much greater.

I would take the equivalent of that schedule in a heartbeat.

I'm not sure K-state did much before Lon Krueger got there.

Jack Hartman (3 Big Eight titles, 4 Elite Eights)

Tex Winters (8 Big Eight titles, 2 Final Fours)

K-State actually has better history PRIOR to Lon Kruger taking over. They were a nationally-known team, occasionally ranked No. 1 under Hartman and Winters; and almost always in the hunt for the Big Eight title.

Hosting K-State in 1979 is VERY IMPRESSIVE (and certainly much more impressive than scheduling them now). Remember, they had one of the all-time greatest Big Eight players ever in Rolando Blackman that year.

I did a little research, and found this:

-Five of these six teams played in the post season, with four of them playing in the then 48-team NCAA Tournament

-Rutgers was the only team that did not play in the post-season

-Nebraska wound up finishing 2nd in the Big-8 and played in the NIT

-Kansas State finished the season in the Top-20 in the final coaches poll, losing in the second round of the NCAA Tournament 71-69 to the eventual national champion, Louisville

-Florida State finished the season with a second round loss in the NCAA tournament as well, losing to Kentucky

-Tennessee also lost in round #2 of the NCAA tournament, losing to Maryland

-Texas A&M went the furthest of any team of these, advancing to the Sweet 16 after knocking off both Bradley and North Carolina, before also losing to Louisville 66-55. They finished at #18 in the coaches poll.

If you're wondering, the Gophers beat four of these six teams, all of them at home:

Nebraska W 75-58
@ Tennessee L 71-64
@ Florida State L 112-91
Kansas State W 78-61
Rutgers W 98-59
Texas A&M W 69-63

Without looking up records for that specific year, I would question how good K-State, Rutgers, Tennesee or Nebraska were that year. And as you said, FSU was essentially a mid-major at the time. I'm not defending this year's schedule, but those names probably look more impressive in 2009 then they did then. Nebraska is not now, nor have they ever been good for more then 1 season at at ime. Tennesee's success is mostly recent. And I'm not sure K-state did much before Lon Krueger got there.

You're joking, right?

I hate to pile on...actually I don't. There is not a single statement in this post that is correct. The only statement that could be debated is that FSU was "essentially a mid-major at the time" as a member of the Metro conference, but Louisville, Cincinnati and Memphis State would probably disagree with you.

I would be willing to be that this is one of the most factually incorrect posts ever on this board (any board?). That is quite an achievement.

Marquette??? Why do we not play them every year?

There is a lot of history with Marquette and we used to play them quite often.

Are they not willing to play us?

We also should play Creighton, Drake, Nebraska, and DePaul once in a while.

Missouri would be a good team to play as well.

I hate to pile on...actually I don't. There is not a single statement in this post that is correct. The only statement that could be debated is that FSU was "essentially a mid-major at the time" as a member of the Metro conference, but Louisville, Cincinnati and Memphis State would probably disagree with you.

I would be willing to be that this is one of the most factually incorrect posts ever on this board (any board?). That is quite an achievement.

Well said.

Top Bottom