Darren Wolfson: Brewster's Bunch not running on empty

good thoughts. I agree with your thoughts on Fisch. He seems like a fast riser in the profession. I hope we have some continuity with the staff and coordinators and I hope Fisch is as good as advertised.

I know Fisch was like choice No. 5, but I feel like I have a decent understanding of how he'll run/do things...and really believe he'll succeed.

Nice write up Dooige

I hope you are right about Fisch. Question about your opening line:

If the Gophers fail miserably to establish some semblance of a running game this year, it'll have very little to do with the news of the day – four-star recruit Hasan Lipscomb did not qualify to play and will attend Blinn Junior College in Texas.

It will be impossible to know, but if we do struggle running the ball isn't the Lipscomb news going to have a a lot to do with it? I'm not saying he's the savior at running back but this certainly makes things more difficult. We certainly don't have a power back among the 4 you mentioned, or a homerun threat for that matter, Bennet being the closest thing to that. My hope was that lipscomb would give us that speedster.

My fear is that we are going to ask Weber to do a lot of the rushing that he has done the past two years, or does that get taken out completely with the new scheme?

I hope you are right about Fisch. Question about your opening line:

It will be impossible to know, but if we do struggle running the ball isn't the Lipscomb news going to have a a lot to do with it? I'm not saying he's the savior at running back but this certainly makes things more difficult. We certainly don't have a power back among the 4 you mentioned, or a homerun threat for that matter, Bennet being the closest thing to that. My hope was that lipscomb would give us that speedster.

My fear is that we are going to ask Weber to do a lot of the rushing that he has done the past two years, or does that get taken out completely with the new scheme?

I think the backs we have are talented enough to make plays if the OL gets their act together. I think Doogie's point was that the OL is the key, not a true frosh recruit. Also, I would expect Weber to run the ball MUCH less since option runs/QB keeps typically don't make up a huge part of a power run offense.

If you take Fisch at face value, the Weber running question was tossed his way a handful of times in Feb. and March...his response: While being under center a lot more, he'll still run at times.

Whaley

I know Whaley is small but I think he'll make a big impact this year! Whaley has that speed we desperately need at running back!

The running game is not about Bennet, Eskridge, et al. Its about what's up front.

If my pencil is correct

Stommes, Alford, Wynn, Carufel, Wills, Hageman.

I for one would like more information on Jeff Wills. From what I read, he has lost 60 pounds and they want him stronger. That begs two questions, how much does he weigh currently and how much can he bench, how much can he squat?

-Husker, you love you some O line don'tcha:)
I'm penciling in Trey Davis at center personally, he's a tough grinder type, and also a great athlete(I'm a HS shot/disc coach and he's one of the more impressive throwers recently from MN)

I gotta agree with doogie's take though, it's going to be the blocking schemes and playcalling that determine the running game's effectiveness. We have adaquate backs, no gamebreakers, but solid D1 types that can pick up enough yardage that can be effective.

The Center spot is up in the air...
LT - Stommes
LG - Alford
RG - Carufel
RT - Wills (although needs to get A LOT stronger in all areas - bench, squat, clean...that was the word all March & April...maybe he's made some progress the last few months...will attempt to find out)
Brewster's goal is to be anti-Mason and target the big O-Linemen...he's well on his way to doing that.

Ole

I like Trey also. I love his wrestling background, his leverage, ability to beat the man in front of him, and some nastiness. If not at Center, certainly at guard, or vise versa with Wynn. I think Alford is definitely penciled in, but the eraser is poised.

Offensive Line in the weight room

I think I read about Jon Hoese getting a t shirt label its a big mans game. When it comes to the offensive line, how many of them can squat 500 pounds? Anyone over 600? And in the Hang and Clean anyone over 400? If not, where are we?

What I wrote back in early April

If professional football doesn't work out for senior defensive tackle Eric Small, manual labor definitely could, paging Two Men and a Truck. Small, after practice today, told an intrepid reporter, that he is now one of four players with a "Big Man's Game" t-shirt. To enter the prestigious club, you need to have at least these three accomplishments in the weight room: a 350 LB Clean and Press, a 400 LB Bench Press, & a 500 LB Squat.
The other three players in Small's group, according to Small are: defensive end Anthony Jacobs, OL D.J. Burris, & DL Barrett Moen.

So, I am to assume no one has cracked 600 in the squat, I have seen 721 and I for one would love to see Gophersports.com post the all time weight and condition recrords at the U.

Other interesting accomlishments would be vertical leap, 40 time, 10 yard time, pro agility drill.

So if a player comes in squats 700, benchs 450, power cleans 550 does he get a t-shirt, starting position, or access to the weights any time he wants?

Top Bottom