1990's Recruits

mailman25

Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on Gopher recruit rankings from the 1990s.

I was watching the Badger-Gopher game from the 96-97 season, and they kept mentioning our highly-ranked recruits like Charles Thomas, Quincy, and Courtney James. That should've been a pretty highly-ranked class.

It was

I'm pretty sure they didn't have the insanity of recruiting coverage back then, but I remember sitting at Bravo Burrito in November of that year reading a Strib article about what a highly touted class it was (despite also including Miles Tarver).

I can't remember the exact number, but I'm pretty sure that was a top-10 class. Lewis and James were the two big names.

I can't remember the exact number, but I'm pretty sure that was a top-10 class. Lewis and James were the two big names.

Not to mention Bobby Jackson as JC college transfer, and Charles Thomas, who also had been drafted by the Yankees that spring for baseball.

I don't think there were rankings as such back then. Or if there were, they were done by individual writers that probably had never seen have the players they ranked, not organized services.

Man our '97 team had serious talent. 4 future first round picks, and James may have been a 5th had he not gotten kicked out.

I don't think there were rankings as such back then. Or if there were, they were done by individual writers that probably had never seen have the players they ranked, not organized services.

QUOTE]

Yes, there were rankings back then. My earliest recollection of rankings were the ones given to Randy Carter and Jayson Walton in the late 80's, but that might just be becasue I wasn't paying attention before then.

Hoopscoop ranking

There were rankings for this class. Linked are Clark Francis' ranking for HoopScoop. As you will see, Michigan had a few higher ranked kids, but the Gophs also had Bobby and Mark Jones, who were both highly regarded JC players. No mention of Thomas or Tarver here, but I know Thomas was on a top 100 list or two. Quincy was also higher on some lists. Most lists I saw back then had Courtney in the top 30-ish range.

http://www.hoopscooponline.com/members/top100classof1995.html

Holy crap, that was an awesome class ... top 11 --

Garnett, Marbury, Mercer, Traylor, Abdur-Rahim, Hood, Wayne Turner, Vince Carter, Roberson, Pierce, Bullock.

Don't forget Jamison at 17 and Billups at 22. And Brian Cardinal at 71 :)

QUOTE]

Yes, there were rankings back then. My earliest recollection of rankings were the ones given to Randy Carter and Jayson Walton in the late 80's, but that might just be becasue I wasn't paying attention before then.

Bob Gibbons ranked players starting in the mid 1970's. Street & Smith ranked Top 100 (entering college) going back to early 1970's and named pre-season HS All-Americans teams, too.

I have Gibbons' stuff going back to 1979 (somewhere).

Top Bottom