Damn, Hasan Lipscomb, headed to JUCO

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus Fuller:

Top Gophers football recruit headed for junior college instead

For the second straight year, one of the University of Minnesota's top football recruits apparently did not qualify to play for the Gophers out of high school.

Four-star Houston Cypress Ridge High School running back Hasan Lipscomb was expected to compete for a starting spot at Minnesota this season, but didn't get the college-entrance-exam score he needed and will attend Blinn Junior College in Brenham, Texas, Cypress Ridge coach Gary Thiebaud wrote in an e-mail to the Pioneer Press today.

"He hopes to play for the University of Minnesota in the future," Thiebaud wrote. "He has to go the JC route first."

Last season, Gophers coach Tim Brewster had the 17th-ranked recruiting class in the nation and third-ranked class in the Big Ten. But four-star quarterback MarQueis Gray from Indianapolis couldn't play because of an invalid ACT score. Gray eventually joined the team for spring practice this year. Rivals.com had ranked the Gophers' 2009 recruiting class No. 6 in the Big Ten. Rivals also called the 5-foot-11, 200-pound Lipscomb a "major get" from one of Texas' best high school teams, and "tough enough to be an everyday, carry-the-load type of back."

The top recruit in this year's incoming class, College of the Canyons (Calif.) All-American wide receiver Hayo Carpenter, hasn't enrolled in summer school at Minnesota yet.

But College of the Canyons coach Garrett Tujague told the Pioneer Press last week that Carpenter was on his way to Minnesota with "transcripts in hand." Carpenter is projected as a potential starter for the Gophers alongside All-Big Ten receiver Eric Decker.

Even without Lipscomb, Minnesota still returns redshirt sophomore Duane Bennett, sophomore DeLeon Eskridge and redshirt freshman Kevin Whaley, who had a strong spring.

Go Gophers!!

Now we have to wait until the other shoe drops with Carpenter and we should be ready to ROCK AND ROLL this season!!! YEAH BAY-BEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDDDGEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDDDGEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only he didn't say "Fudge." He said THE word, the big one, the queen-mother of dirty words, the "F-dash-dash-dash" word!

I hope Bennet's knee feels good-n-frisky. This news was a major bummer. Similar to losing Gray last year.

Well that just plain sucks. Figured it was coming but always hard to hear the other shoe fall.

Someday I hope we are in a position to get solid student athletes to headline our classes.

Big Loss, but to be honest, I always felt like he was going to redshirt, just a feeling dunno.

Carpenter news sounds good though, similar to Traye Simmons JUCO deal last year, hopefully Brew and Crew keep in touch with Hasan and get him to join next year.

When you throw out Lipscomb, Hayo and Searcy the 09 class doesn't look so great. Brewster really needs a very good season this year or the shine will be completely off, if it was ever there to begin with. Does anybody really expect Hayo to make it?

When you throw out Lipscomb, Hayo and Searcy the 09 class doesn't look so great. Brewster really needs a very good season this year or the shine will be completely off, if it was ever there to begin with. Does anybody really expect Hayo to make it?

Why would you throw out Searcy? It was never presumed that he would be with the team this fall.

per Marcus Fuller:

Top Gophers football recruit headed for junior college instead

For the second straight year, one of the University of Minnesota's top football recruits apparently did not qualify to play for the Gophers out of high school.

Four-star Houston Cypress Ridge High School running back Hasan Lipscomb was expected to compete for a starting spot at Minnesota this season, but didn't get the college-entrance-exam score he needed and will attend Blinn Junior College in Brenham, Texas, Cypress Ridge coach Gary Thiebaud wrote in an e-mail to the Pioneer Press today.

"He hopes to play for the University of Minnesota in the future," Thiebaud wrote. "He has to go the JC route first."

Last season, Gophers coach Tim Brewster had the 17th-ranked recruiting class in the nation and third-ranked class in the Big Ten. But four-star quarterback MarQueis Gray from Indianapolis couldn't play because of an invalid ACT score. Gray eventually joined the team for spring practice this year. Rivals.com had ranked the Gophers' 2009 recruiting class No. 6 in the Big Ten. Rivals also called the 5-foot-11, 200-pound Lipscomb a "major get" from one of Texas' best high school teams, and "tough enough to be an everyday, carry-the-load type of back."

The top recruit in this year's incoming class, College of the Canyons (Calif.) All-American wide receiver Hayo Carpenter, hasn't enrolled in summer school at Minnesota yet.

But College of the Canyons coach Garrett Tujague told the Pioneer Press last week that Carpenter was on his way to Minnesota with "transcripts in hand." Carpenter is projected as a potential starter for the Gophers alongside All-Big Ten receiver Eric Decker.

Didn't Patrick Reusse "call this one" about 6 months ago? It sounded like Reusse had some inside info at the time.

Searcy was always going to Greyshirt, and I fully expect Hayo to be here when camp starts.

He just got his transcripts like last week, I'm sure it will take a week or so to get himself packed and ready to move, he should be here before too long.

Reusse "calls" whatever negative possibility he can think of, throws it up on the wall and take credit for whatever sticks. He's a CLOWN!, sorry but the guy literally is the worst form of gutter journalist in the TC area. Anything to trash or cut down a local team just to get attention.

If you trust his JC coach, yes Hayo will be here. But reservations stem from the fact that the man said that in Janauary, and again in May however Hayo has yet to be seen.

But I too am thinking that if you look at the casualties from 07, 08, and now 09 Brewsters MO as recruiting savant is struggling to hold water as there has been a lot of top of the class losses who never showed up or couldn't make it into their second season.

Will Hasan be back? I will commend Brewster's ability to stick with Gray and bring him back into the fold and definitely think that he proved he will put the work in to keep those who fell a little short.

But I too am thinking that if you look at the casualties from 07, 08, and now 09 Brewsters MO as recruiting savant is struggling to hold water as there has been a lot of top of the class losses who never showed up or couldn't make it into their second season.

Until you become a destination, you take risks on top athletes. I think Brewster has met and exceeded expectation getting the classes together that he did. There is risk and we will lose a few along the way until we are good enough to demand both student and athlete.

I think Brewster expects all incoming to enroll in Summer session. When they aren't it raises red flags unless they are RS or grey shirts. Not a huge surprise as I was kinda expecting this being absent.

Unless Brewster sticks with him like smell on a pile of fresh dog do-do, or the kid really, really wants to be a Gopher, the chances of him playing for us down the road has been greatly minimized.

If you trust his JC coach, yes Hayo will be here. But reservations stem from the fact that the man said that in Janauary, and again in May however Hayo has yet to be seen.

Is '07 really Brewster's class considering he was hired 2-3 weeks prior to LOI day? Did we actually have any losses from the "top of the class" in 2007 because after Jacobs (the only 4* and a projected starter this year) I struggle find the top of the class and Jacobs doesn't fit your characterization. As far as 2008, the last time I checked the only 4* that committed that is not expected to be on campus this is fall is Hill.

This stuff happens to even the best teams that can afford to be more selective than Minnesota. OSU has already had one RB announce he is going to Juco and their other RB commit is facing charges for drug possession in FL (recently downgraded from felony possession). Michigan has had a slew of transfers including McGuffie, their top RB prospect in the 2008 class. Iowa already had a TE from their 2009 class arrive on campus in January to participate in spring practice that has decided to transfer. The recruiting services redo their rankings for enrollment every year because most teams have at least one casualty that never makes it to campus.

What matters now is wins. If we win games, losing the top end guys in each class won't matter. If we keep losing it won't matter if we get everybody in. Wins and losses are now the way to judge Brewster.

Is '07 really Brewster's class considering he was hired 2-3 weeks prior to LOI day? Did we actually have any losses from the "top of the class" in 2007 because after Jacobs (the only 4* and a projected starter this year) I struggle find the top of the class and Jacobs doesn't fit your characterization. As far as 2008, the last time I checked the only 4* that committed that is not expected to be on campus this is fall is Hill.

This stuff happens to even the best teams that can afford to be more selective than Minnesota. OSU has already had one RB announce he is going to Juco and their other RB commit is facing charges for drug possession in FL (recently downgraded from felony possession). Michigan has had a slew of transfers including McGuffie, their top RB prospect in the 2008 class. Iowa already had a TE from their 2009 class arrive on campus in January to participate in spring practice that has decided to transfer. The recruiting services redo their rankings for enrollment every year because most teams have at least one casualty that never makes it to campus.

I understand that this happens, seemingly more and more, especially in the Big Ten. It is troublesome because keeping the talent that Brewster garnished in his 08 and 09 classes was the obvious road to elevating this program and looking forward to this season how much will we be missing Brock, Smith, Hill, Gayden or even Harold Howell (former GHole golden boy). Okay not so much Howell. The stacked group of WR we were talking about in February '08 is looking less stacked.

What was really frustrating is that we thought we had two rivals 4 star RB coming in as of this time last year, and now we have nothing but question marks moving into 09. Three backs with old serious injuries in Whaley, Bennett, and Thomas and two former true freshmen who didn't exactly radiate glory on the field last year in Salamon and Eskridge. I think we can officially keep the pressure on '10 RB prospects!

PS Have we not heard enough from the '07 apologists? It was a short class but it is all Brewster, so enough with the BS and move on.

No doubt 07 has to be on Brewster, but I think it's obvious what he was trying to do. Bring in immediate talent and speed, he took alot of risks and many of them bit him(Thomas, Howell, White, Spry,Uu) I won't blame him for trying to get some playmakers ASAP, he did bring in a few quality players that year, Small, Theret, and kept most of the Mason recruits.
It was a hit or miss class that was put together in a hurry, but was still better than what would have been if Mason had been in charge. The reason this squad has had problems the last few years wasn't because of the 07 class, it's been the 04,05,06 classes.

I am so tired of hearing about kids who can't qualify because of school. I realize our educational system in MN is more gooder then in other places but lets be honest, if you put in any effort AT ALL you will do good enough to get into a college especially if you are an athlete. Ugh I was a huge Brewster backer before but now I am VERY VERY slowly starting to get turn against him. Can we please recruit some STUDENT athletes?? If Hayo doesn't qualify, I may punch a baby.

I am so tired of hearing about kids who can't qualify because of school. I realize our educational system in MN is more gooder then in other places but lets be honest, if you put in any effort AT ALL you will do good enough to get into a college especially if you are an athlete. Ugh I was a huge Brewster backer before but now I am VERY VERY slowly starting to get turn against him. Can we please recruit some STUDENT athletes?? If Hayo doesn't qualify, I may punch a baby.

you wrote: "i realize our educational system in MN is more gooder then other places". are you f-ing serious?! apparently you did not partake in our "gooder" education system in MN if this is the level at which you write basic sentences. talk about the pot calling the kettle black. wow!

p.s. also, please get off you high-horse about brewster and his recruiting. he is doing a fine job of it given the circumstances in which he must work.

you wrote: "i realize our educational system in MN is more gooder then other places". are you f-ing serious?! apparently you did not partake in our "gooder" education system in MN if this is the level at which you write basic sentences. talk about the pot calling the kettle black. wow!

p.s. also, please get off you high-horse about brewster and his recruiting. he is doing a fine job of it given the circumstances in which he must work.

I pray that the above 'more gooder' comment was sarcasm. I took it as such, obviously you did not. For the sake of the author, I hope it was.

What matters now is wins. If we win games, losing the top end guys in each class won't matter. If we keep losing it won't matter if we get everybody in. Wins and losses are now the way to judge Brewster.

He used a variation of the word "win" three times in four sentences.

I think you're onto something, Bronko...this guy is suspiciously Wren-ish.

Holy hell BNG relax. It was sarcasm. Do you know what that is? Bad day at work?

PS Have we not heard enough from the '07 apologists? It was a short class but it is all Brewster, so enough with the BS and move on.

Would you have preferred not using scholarships for 2 years? As you know we are limited to 85 scholarships and 25 per class. With the number of players graduating in 2008 the 2008 class was going to be a full class regardless of how many players we took in 2007. Consequently not filling the 2007 class would have left scholarships unused until we could give them as part of the 2009 class.

You can complain about getting hit by APR and losing 3 scholarships but I agree with the choice to take academic risks in 2007. Not taking the risks would have had the effect of not using all 85 scholarships in 2007 & 2008--the same as taking a penalty a few years later if the students don't work out. The alternative choice would have been to take good students that are borderline DI prospects hoping that one or two is a late bloomer.

The sad reality about college athletics is that this happens at every school. Last year the only teams in the top 25 ranked classes on LOI day that had every player on campus in September were Notre Dame and UCLA. From the top 10 classes on signing day Alabama lost 3 4-star players, Florida lost a 4-star safety, OSU lost a 3-star DT, Miami lost a 4-star OL & 3-star LB, Oklahoma actually had every player make it but a 4-star WR got kicked off the team in August, Georgia lost a 4-star DE, FSU lost 3 players including 1 4-star, USC lost 2 4-star players and a 3-star, and Michigan lost a 4-star LB. Feel free to make your own opinion on our coaching staff but at least recognize that we're not unique in not having big time players qualify. Mason always had issues too but the players that failed to qualify like Jamar Howard didn't garner the same attention that a Hasan Lipscomb does.

The sad reality about college athletics is that this happens at every school. Last year the only teams in the top 25 ranked classes on LOI day that had every player on campus in September were Notre Dame and UCLA. From the top 10 classes on signing day Alabama lost 3 4-star players, Florida lost a 4-star safety, OSU lost a 3-star DT, Miami lost a 4-star OL & 3-star LB, Oklahoma actually had every player make it but a 4-star WR got kicked off the team in August, Georgia lost a 4-star DE, FSU lost 3 players including 1 4-star, USC lost 2 4-star players and a 3-star, and Michigan lost a 4-star LB. Feel free to make your own opinion on our coaching staff but at least recognize that we're not unique in not having big time players qualify. Mason always had issues too but the players that failed to qualify like Jamar Howard didn't garner the same attention that a Hasan Lipscomb does.

Please save this information and post it everytime someone complains about "this Brewster" recruiting non-student athletes.
My other favorite quote was by someone on this board. "The best way to enjoy college football is to be blissfully unaware about what goes on behind the scenes."

Top Bottom