Wills

Rotundo

Reaction score
Is this guy still terribly obese? From what I saw in the spring game I don't have much hope for him at all and I certainly don't expect him to help if he hasn't changed his body a great deal. Anybody see him recently or hear anything?

it was reported over on the scout board about a month ago that Willis has lost over 60 pounds since his weight was last announced and is now down to a decent weight. Regardless of whether or not he is a football player, that is impressive. Can't wait to see this kid on the field!!

Anyone else find it ironic that this question is from a poster with the screename rotundo???

Davis has handed Wills the #1 job over Wynn who started 12 games last season and I think at LG against KU. Wills kept the gig through the Spring inspite of being overweight.

I think most people trust Davis's judgement due his experience going with Wills. IMO Wills developement/conditioning will worth watching. Newbies replacing a past starter should be an automic upgrade in talent and performance. Same with Carufel at RG over Tavale and Burris. Wynn, Burris and Tavale must have 50-60 starts between them and they will likely be on the sidelines behind two guys with 3 starts total. The OL situation this Fall will be veryinteresting.

Bayfield, I think Coach Davis moved Wynn inside to center. During the spring, Trey Davis was with the Field Team. Stommes, Alford, Mr. X. Carufel, Wills. Personally, you have three choices at Center, Tow Arnett offers experience, Wynn the talent, and Davis the tenacity that only a wrestler can give you. It wont take a huge performance in the fall by Burris to unseat Alford. I think Alford plays too high to be effective.

Bayfield, I think Coach Davis moved Wynn inside to center. During the spring, Trey Davis was with the Field Team. Stommes, Alford, Mr. X. Carufel, Wills. Personally, you have three choices at Center, Tow Arnett offers experience, Wynn the talent, and Davis the tenacity that only a wrestler can give you. It wont take a huge performance in the fall by Burris to unseat Alford. I think Alford plays too high to be effective.

What do you think the odds are that Stommes keeps his starting spot through the season. He appears to be one of the two (Carufel being the other) most athletic o-linemen on this team. I know this was a stretch, but I heard that NFL scouts were kind of wide-eyed over his athleticism. Hopefully he can use that athleticism to his advantage for the Big Ten season. He has one of the most important o-line roles having to protect Weber's blind side.

Stommes is just now growing into his body. He of the big raw boned farm kid. When you say athletic include Wynn in that mix. That and his size, and starts make him the odds on favorite at Center. To your point, can he keep the position for the season? YES!

Davis obviously saw something in Stommes that the past OL coach, Dunbar and Brewster didn't. Potential and ideal body size. All of us were surprised when he was named starter against KU. He held off the competition during Spring ball and I hope he will be game ready by Sept 5.

I agree with you Husker RE: Alford as he appears to be top heavy. I like OG's that have square builds, thick legs, big behinds, low COG, above average strength, etc. I trust that Davis is making the right calls RE: his starting 5 but there are a lot of ??'s at this point. What CFB team could have 4 times the starts riding the bench than the guys starting? Replacing incumbents with newbies should equate to better talent and more OL production.

Part of being a good coach is being able to recognize talent and get it in the right position. Yrs. ago John williams was a FB, DE, before he became an all-big ten and all-pro OT. Davis seems to have that ability. Same goes for a head coach, he does little coaching, but a good one has the ability to get recruits and good position coaches.

This thread got me thinking about the OL and how Minnesota compares size-wise to others in the B10. I compared only Jr & Sr eligibility-wise since they have been in the weight room long enough to be at their playing weights. Every Jr/Sr OLman, regardless of playing status, went into figuring a mean weight. I also provide the #>300lb/total Jr, Sr OL.

MN 307 4/7
IA 295 6/10
WI 311 4/4
PSU 298 3/5
OSU 293 3/11
MI 292 0/4
MSU 306 5/9

Several things jumped out at me. The Jr/Sr OL for the Gophers are as big, weight-wise, as any B10 team other than WI. Granted, Wills tips the scales a bit, but there are some other big boys at other schools as well.

IN, Purdue, NW and IL aren't included in these calculations (not all roster sites are sort friendly like the Gophers), nonetheless MN has 7 OL that are Jr or Sr, the average of these teams is 5. So I regard MN OL as quite experienced compared to the rest of the B10. Some teams have a lot of older OL, such as IA, OSU and MSU, which I thought was interesting.

While I expected the Michigan OL to be lean and mean, I was very surprised to find Ohio State's and Iowa's OL very similar in size, as well as Penn State's. For some reason I found it a bit surprising that there were so many teams that had experienced OL that average <300 lbs.

Is this guy still terribly obese? From what I saw in the spring game I don't have much hope for him at all and I certainly don't expect him to help if he hasn't changed his body a great deal. Anybody see him recently or hear anything?

dude, most of your comments so far seem to have a rather negative slant when it comes to the gophers, recruits, coach brewster, etc. what is the deal? are you yet another reincarnation of "wren"?!?! please tell me you're not!

By the way, if you're using the federal government guidelines on obesity, then Brett Favre, at 6'2", 228#, is also in the category of "obese." :eek:

60 Lbs? That's amazing... Jeff Wills didn't look bad at the spring game - if he was 380 moving like that and he lost 60 LBs and has all the time in the world to build muscle? I'm predicting 2nd round draft pick in 2 years!

Top Bottom