Column on politics/new stadium

can you cut and paste it? It is requiring a login to read it.

Things must be going swimmingly at our nation's capitol. Apparently the problems with health care, unemployment and war are under control.

Arguments about the economy and climate change have evidently reached solutions.

Why else would Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah have enough time on his hands to dig into something as vital to our nation as college football?

I’ve always been critical of politicians who make a point of attempting to show their knowledge of sports. What credentials do they have to be considered experts? Our current president’s opinions on basketball and the NFL are of no more relevance than those of any other fan.

Generally, their efforts are mere publicity stunts used to garner support from the masses.

It gives the illusion of a common bond with the hard-core supporters who religiously follow their favorite teams.

Hatch’s disdain for the current system that crowns a national champion is not without some merit.

For years, the Bowl Championship Series has been under criticism for favoring schools from more established

conferences. Last season, his beloved Utes rolled through an undefeated season, and their Sugar Bowl destruction of highly regarded Alabama certainly put them among the nation’s elite.

But is being left out of national title consideration means for a congressional hearing?

After reading accounts of Tuesday’s session, one can understand why elected leaders receive so much criticism for wasting time and money. In the two-hour session, Hatch ranted long and loud about how unfair the BCS is, and how his team was cheated of playing for a championship.

He even partook in some good-natured debate with the president of the University of Nebraska about who has a better football program. Is this really taxpayer money well-spent?

It’s also disheartening to see our state legislature take an active role in the ongoing debate of alcohol sales at the new University of Minnesota stadium.

As at the national level, things must be going well here. Ample time was available for a debate on drinking beer at a football game.

Originally, the university was to allow alcohol in premium seats and luxury areas only. This would be in line with all Big Ten schools other than Michigan and Ohio State, who prohibit use altogether.

It’s a logical plan that’s been used effectively on campuses all over the country.

Unfortunately, many of our representatives have little knowledge of how major college football operates.

The university’s decision to go completely dry at TCF Bank Stadium is a direct result of a law passed allowing anyone of legal age to purchase alcohol, regardless of seating. The legislators supporting this believe everyone should have the same right, regardless of what they pay for a ticket.

While their hearts may be in the right place, their decision left the university in a precarious position. Do they allow alcohol and face the possibility of a lawsuit should an underage student be harmed after drinking in the stadium?

Do they want games to become a party that could get out-of-control, thus putting the school in a bad light?

As a Gopher season ticket holder and longtime fan, I have a pretty clear opinion on a solution. The university officials had it right with their initial idea.

To keep things on par with others in the Big Ten makes the most common sense.

Paying a higher price for premium seating should come with certain privileges, with alcohol being one of them.

It’s not much different than spending more for a first-class seat on an airplane, or upgrading to a nicer hotel room. In order to enjoy certain amenities, it usually costs extra.

I also like the idea of keeping the new venue more family-friendly and controlled.

One of my biggest worries is the stadium having an atmosphere like the Metrodome during Vikings games, where too many fans drink excessively while verbally abusing the opposition.

It’s too bad our government had to get involved. What’s wrong with a system that’s worked everywhere else? Do any of these legislators follow the Gophers or college football?

It’s funny that lawmakers tried make it our right to purchase a lukewarm $7 beer.

Perhaps next January they can debate the color of the end zones, or maybe whether games should really be played when it’s cold outside.

They seem to have the time.

No surprise that another guy got it wrong. Two weeks ago I heard President Bruininks on the radio discussing this issue. He couldn't have sounded less concerned about the revenue that will be lossed at Gophers Stadium. Bruininks said that the amount is not that significant and that the U will easily be able to absorb the loss. GopherHoler's need to get over this and get on with their lives. There are other things happening in the world that you should more concerned about.

No surprise that another guy got it wrong. Two weeks ago I heard President Bruininks on the radio discussing this issue. He couldn't have sounded less concerned about the revenue that will be lossed at Gophers Stadium. Bruininks said that the amount is not that significant and that the U will easily be able to absorb the loss. GopherHoler's need to get over this and get on with their lives. There are other things happening in the world that you should more concerned about.

I certainly hope you're including yourself in this comment given the fact that you're jumping into every thread on the topic despite vowing that you were done discussing it a while ago.

Not to mention that all those other things going on in the world should have had precedence in the MN legislature before worrying about the U's alcohol policy.

The point of this board is to discuss Gopher FB. The decision to not sell alcohol at TCF is a Gopher FB issue. If it can not be discussed here, then where? If you do not want to discuss this issue then do not participate in this thread. Furthermore, why do you care if people continue to discuss this issue? It is a major issue with respect to Gopher FB and is worthy of discussion.

For what it is worth, I think alcohol should have been served throughout the stadium. This argument about the U getting sued for underage consumption is nothing more than a red herring. Beer was sold throughout the Metrodome the entire time the Gophers played there and I am not aware of any lawsuits relating to underage consumption.

Lalaland

The Metrodome was not on University property nor a University facility. The Gophers leased it from the Metropolitan Sports Commission (think that's their name these days) and had no control over policy or whether or not beer was sold. If their was a lawsuit, the U wouldn't be the defendent. TCF is totally different.

Again, the legislature approved the plan 3 years ago to only serve alcohol in the preferred seating area and everyone was fine. Now, with all the other problems going on, they decided to pander to the lowest common demonimator (probably to save their jobs in the next election as most should be voted out for their incompetence).

here is something that should make any fair-minded person mad

so the new DECC hockey facility up in duluth, mn (the UMD Bulldogs facility) is receiving state funds for part of the construction costs of UMD's new hockey arena - similar to TCF Stadium. as i understand it the plan for UMD's DECC facility is to only sell alcohol in the controlled and monitored "premium" seating areas and not in general admission so as not to sell it in student seating, which again was the concern for the U of M at TCF Stadium and how it is done virtually everywhere else in the country.

how F-ING hypocritical of the MN legislature is this?!?! rep. pat garofalo (R) - farmington told me in his reply email that the main reason legislators voted for the bill and felt it necessary to inject themselves into the U of M's business on alcohol sales policy was because of the state money that had been used to construct TCF stadium. bullshit!

oh, okay rep. pat garofalo so by your own admission it is okay for UMD's DECC facility which is receiving state funds for construction as well to have a policy which only allows alcohol sales in premium seating, but that same logic for some strange reason can't apply to TCF, Mariucci & Williams?!?! you are really trying to tell me that rep. pat garofalo and these other legislative fools weren't trying to score cheap-ass political points because TCF Stadium and the U of M-Minneapolis is far more news worthy than UMD and the DECC facility?!?!

again, i will just say that the alcohol issue at TCF, Mariucci & Williams wasn't an issue of fairness (as the legislators want people to believe for political purposes) it was an issue of how to best pander to the lowest common denominator and get the most media coverage around the state while doing it. what a joke!

This is another apples/oranges thing....

so the new DECC hockey facility up in duluth, mn (the UMD Bulldogs facility) is receiving state funds for part of the construction costs of UMD's new hockey arena - similar to TCF Stadium. as i understand it the plan for UMD's DECC facility is to only sell alcohol in the controlled and monitored "premium" seating areas and not in general admission so as not to sell it in student seating, which again was the concern for the U of M at TCF Stadium and how it is done virtually everywhere else in the country.

how F-ING hypocritical of the MN legislature is this?!?! rep. pat garofalo (R) - farmington told me in his reply email that the main reason legislators voted for the bill and felt it necessary to inject themselves into the U of M's business on alcohol sales policy was because of the state money that had been used to construct TCF stadium. bullshit!

oh, okay rep. pat garofalo so by your own admission it is okay for UMD's DECC facility which is receiving state funds for construction as well to have a policy which only allows alcohol sales in premium seating, but that same logic for some strange reason can't apply to TCF, Mariucci & Williams?!?! you are really trying to tell me that rep. pat garofalo and these other legislative fools weren't trying to score cheap-ass political points because TCF Stadium and the U of M-Minneapolis is far more news worthy than UMD and the DECC facility?!?!

again, i will just say that the alcohol issue at TCF, Mariucci & Williams wasn't an issue of fairness (as the legislators want people to believe for political purposes) it was an issue of how to best pander to the lowest common denominator and get the most media coverage around the state while doing it. what a joke!

The DECC stands for Duluth Entertainment and Convention Center, As in city of Duluth. U.M.D has no say in procedures and policies. They can make suggestions, but The ass clown of a DECC director and the City counsel have the say. The thing about the D.E.C.C. is that alcohol has always been available. A couple years ago the "president" of UMD poured her beer on top of the head of a Siouxage fan at a Women's hockey game. The Duluth Curling Club has had a bar since day one of the old arena, and when the "new" convention center was added, The Blue Line Club was allowed to use one room as a bar for the general public.
I wish the legislature hadn't gotten involved, but with the stadium on campus and the "U" not willing to fight it, we will have to get through it. I just wanted to make sure people were clear about the fact that the D.E.C.C. is way farther of campus then the dump was.

The DECC stands for Duluth Entertainment and Convention Center, As in city of Duluth. U.M.D has no say in procedures and policies. They can make suggestions, but The ass clown of a DECC director and the City counsel have the say. The thing about the D.E.C.C. is that alcohol has always been available. A couple years ago the "president" of UMD poured her beer on top of the head of a Siouxage fan at a Women's hockey game. The Duluth Curling Club has had a bar since day one of the old arena, and when the "new" convention center was added, The Blue Line Club was allowed to use one room as a bar for the general public.
I wish the legislature hadn't gotten involved, but with the stadium on campus and the "U" not willing to fight it, we will have to get through it. I just wanted to make sure people were clear about the fact that the D.E.C.C. is way farther of campus then the dump was.

the point is still the same. both projects are receiving state funds for part of their construction cost and that according to lame ass rep. pat garofalo was the driving reason for the legislators who decided to get involved in the U of M's business when it came to alcohol policy at TCF, Mariucci & Williams.

it is not right for them to single out one specific project (soley because it will receive more news coverage considering it is in minneapolis) and not apply their same reasoning to other sport facilities also receiving state funds. it their new interventionist policy when it comes to alcohol sales is good enough for the U then it should be good enough for St. Cloud State, the DECC/UMD, Bemidji State's new arena, etc.

Living in Duluth, I can tell you the DECC is far separate from the University. At current UMD hockey games, they have a bar across the concourse from the actual arena. You actually have to leave the building (but not go outdoors) to get there. The bar is called The Blue Line Club but is not run by the booster group of that name. It is run by the DECC From what I understand, they will continue to do it this way when the new arena opens in 2011. They will also make alcohol available in private suites.
The story about our female chancellor was this: During a womens' game vs. Ohio State a couple years ago, she got into an argument with an OSU assistant coach. From her front-row balcony seat just above the OSU bench, she dumped water from a plastic bottle onto the assistant. At first she denied it, only to have several witnesses contact the local media to explain what really happened. She then recanted her story, and was suspended from attending womens' games for awhile. This dropped attendance from 48 to 47 for a couple of games.....Her infatuation with womens' hockey and the UMD coach is a major story the local media doesn't dare get into. This is a program that LOST $800,000 during the 07-08 season.

When listening to Bruininks he actually left the impression that he was not at all unhappy for the U to be joining Michigan and Ohio State as the only Big 10 schools to be totally alcohol free in their sports facilities. We already know that several members of the Board of Regents don't want beer sold in any of the U's facilities. Given that attitude it will not be surprising that the U makes little or no effort to lobby the legislature to reverse their action next year. Gophers Stadium could definitely be alcohol free forever.

Lalaland

The Metrodome was not on University property nor a University facility. The Gophers leased it from the Metropolitan Sports Commission (think that's their name these days) and had no control over policy or whether or not beer was sold. If their was a lawsuit, the U wouldn't be the defendent. TCF is totally different.

Again, the legislature approved the plan 3 years ago to only serve alcohol in the preferred seating area and everyone was fine. Now, with all the other problems going on, they decided to pander to the lowest common demonimator (probably to save their jobs in the next election as most should be voted out for their incompetence).

I understand that the University does not own the Metrodome and that it had a lease to play there. I also understand that because the Metrodome was not on University property alcohol sales were permitted.

I disagree with your statement that the U would not have been sued for an injury sustained by an individual resulting from the underage consumption of alcohol during a Gopher FB game. The mere fact that the U was a tenant of the Metrodome that did not prevent it from being named as a defendant in such a lawsuit. Now there was likely an indemnity provision in the lease agreement between the U and MSC requiring MSC to defend the U in such a lawsuit. However, the U would still have been named in the lawsuit. As a matter of fact, I would argue that a plaintiff's attorney's failure to name the U in such a case would be committing legal malpractice.

If a minor was severly injured due to the underage consumption of alcohol during a Gopher FB game (even if the U was not sued, which I contend would not happen) the media would have picked up on any such story as it would have made great headlines about alcohol and college sporting events. Even now you would think the media would come up with some stories about underage college kids getting killed or seriously injured after being served alcohol at the Metrodome during a Gopher FB game.

The fact of the matter is no such story exists because the people that operate these venues are pros at carding minors and preventing these incidents by cutting people off, kicking people out of the stadium or hospitalizing severely inebriated people. The people operating venues like the Metrodome and the U's TCF Stadium understand the liability involved and are very proactive in preventing problems. Ask yourself, how often, if ever, have you seen someone in the Metrodome falling down drunk? It does not happen because those people are detained and dealt with accordingly.

The fact of the matter is MN has a hang up about alcohol. I still do not understand why you can not buy regular beer on Sundays. I attribute it to all the Norwegians.

Anyway, I have accepted the U's decision, even though I think it is flat out wrong.

When listening to Bruininks he actually left the impression that he was not at all unhappy for the U to be joining Michigan and Ohio State as the only Big 10 schools to be totally alcohol free in their sports facilities. We already know that several members of the Board of Regents don't want beer sold in any of the U's facilities. Given that attitude it will not be surprising that the U makes little or no effort to lobby the legislature to reverse their action next year. Gophers Stadium could definitely be alcohol free forever.

As long as were just speculating, something tells me that his comfort level with being alcohol free is tied to how well the premium seats sell. I don't think he'd kamikazee the dept over this...if he wanted to be booze free that bad he would have pushed for it from the start. But if they can still sell the premium seats and make money then I can see the U backing off. As for the board, I don't recall many regents being gung ho about going dry. What they were gung ho about was getting the legislature to respect the U's rights of self-governance.

Ask yourself, how often, if ever, have you seen someone in the Metrodome falling down drunk? It does not happen because those people are detained and dealt with accordingly.

In my decade watching Gophers games in the Metrodome, I saw this dozens, if not hundreds, of times. Every instance occurred in the student section.

the point is still the same. both projects are receiving state funds for part of their construction cost and that according to lame ass rep. pat garofalo was the driving reason for the legislators who decided to get involved in the U of M's business when it came to alcohol policy at TCF, Mariucci & Williams.

it is not right for them to single out one specific project (soley because it will receive more news coverage considering it is in minneapolis) and not apply their same reasoning to other sport facilities also receiving state funds. it their new interventionist policy when it comes to alcohol sales is good enough for the U then it should be good enough for St. Cloud State, the DECC/UMD, Bemidji State's new arena, etc.

It's not the same. The DECC is essentially the same as the Metrodome. It's not on University property and not owned by the University but happens to have a college team playing there. You were able to drink for the above reasons at the Dome. And people at the DECC can and will do the same.

In my decade watching Gophers games in the Metrodome, I saw this dozens, if not hundreds, of times. Every instance occurred in the student section.

Not true about it only happening in the student section. I saw this several times outside of the student section. Specifically, when the pigeons or skunks were in town.

Not true about it only happening in the student section. I saw this several times outside of the student section. Specifically, when the pigeons or skunks were in town.

I should have been clearer. Every instance I saw with my own eyes happened in the student section.

In my decade of watching Gopher games in the Metrodome, I saw exactly ONE out of control person who had too much much to drink. If that kind of thing was happening in the student section it was because they CAME TO THE GAME DRUNK. Although a beer garden for regular seatholders at Gophers Stadium will not solve that problem, at least it will go a long way to satisfy the objections of Minnesota's college football Purists and Puritans.

Ask yourself, how often, if ever, have you seen someone in the Metrodome falling down drunk? It does not happen because those people are detained and dealt with accordingly.

In the past eight years, instances I've seen would be in the double digits. Majority would be students, but a few older Wisconsin fans come to mind.

I'm guessing the Iowa mom in the bathroom would be considered "falling down drunk". That only made national headlines.

In the past eight years, instances I've seen would be in the double digits. Majority would be students, but a few older Wisconsin fans come to mind.

I'm guessing the Iowa mom in the bathroom would be considered "falling down drunk". That only made national headlines.

Who thinks the Iowa mom was "falling down drunk" from drinking too many $6.50 Metrodome beers?

I would also agree that since I graduated (2007) and have sat in the student section for 2 years I have seen plenty of people that are "falling down drunk." Some were students, some were not. Some of the instances they were being led out by stadium security to be detained or kicked out.

Is there any way to prove that the Iowa couple didn't have a few at the game and that is what set it over the top? I'm guessing they did. No way to prove either way though, so your argument is invalid. Also, my point is not to say that regular folk can't handle their booze and that's why it should be in premium seats only.

If that kind of thing was happening in the student section it was because they CAME TO THE GAME DRUNK.

Riiiiiight. Because no U of M students ever USE FAKE IDs. And because every single person serving beer at the Metrodome ALWAYS CHECKED IDs. And every single person who sat in the student section WAS UNDER 21.

I would estimate that, on any given gameday, I saw at least 4-5 people who should've been thrown in the drunk tank.

Riiiiiight. Because no U of M students ever USE FAKE IDs. And because every single person serving beer at the Metrodome ALWAYS CHECKED IDs. And every single person who sat in the student section WAS UNDER 21.

I would estimate that, on any given gameday, I saw at least 4-5 people who should've been thrown in the drunk tank.

So you are telling me that many people sitting in student section DO NOT spend several hours before the start of the football game drinking as much beer as they can until they need somebody to point them in the right direction in order for them to be able to find there way to the game?

On my side of the Metodome I saw exactly ONE drunk in 10 years. The problem is primarily a student drinking problem, and that can be easily controlled through the establishment of a beer garden for non-premium seatholders.

If you are really concerned about what people in Oregon and Vermont think you would not be a Gopher football fan.

Jeebus...are you really saying that being concerned about how the University is seen nationally means someone is not a Gopher FB fan?

Top Bottom