Trevor Mbakwe rumors?

Weisbrod

Banned
Reaction score
I read on Scout.com that there was some rumors about Mbakwe not playing for the Gophers this upcoming season. He denied everything, but where did these come from? Personally, I think he is going to make the biggest impact of any incoming player.

Haven't checked other posts yet, but can somebody post that article from scout?

Sorry...figured I would end up finding the article in a different post...

Here you go:
http://minnesota.scout.com/2/878000.html

Trevor Mbakwe sets record straight about rumors

By Chris Monter

Posted Jul 9, 2009

Trevor Mbakwe, a 6-foot-8 forward who is expected to add a physical presence to the Minnesota Gopher frontcourt this season, showed off his aggressive play as he scored 29 points to pace Errol Carlstrom Playaz to a 119-109 win over B-2-X at the Pulley Pro City Summer League. GoldenSports.Net caught up with Mbakwe after the game to talk about rumors about his playing status and his role this year.

Trevor Mbakwe was named FCAAA Southern Conference Player of the Year this past season at Miami-Dade (FL) CC as he averaged 16.3 points, 13.2 rebounds and 2.7 blocked shots per game. He shot 61.1% from the field and 67.4% from the line. Mbakwe has paced the Sharks to a 26-3 record this past season and they finished ranked third in the country in the final NJCAA poll. Mbakwe is averaging 13.0 rebounds per game, third in the NJCAA. His inside game is likely to make an immediate impact for Minnesota next season.

Mbakwe is averaging 23.0 points per game for the Errol Carlstrom Playaz, who are off to a 3-1 start. He scored a personal-best 29 points as he was quick to credit his teammates for their help in a 119-115 win.

"We just played as a team. I had a good showings my last couple of games, but got in foul trouble and we lost (by one point 96-95). I wanted to come out and play with intensity and play hard like I usually do. Today, I was playing some good competition with some bigger players, so I used my quickness a little more I want to keep evolving my game and that will come along."

Mbakwe had good chemistry with Gopher sophomore point guard Devoe Joseph, who had 31 points. Joseph threw a pass off the backboard in the fourth quarter that Mbakwe dunked ferociously, drawing a big response from the crowd.

"I love playing with Devoe. I feel that we are the best two-on-two combo out here so far. He is a good player and I am looking forward with this fall and we are playing really well together."

Mbakwe is taking summer classes to make the adjustment after spending last year at a junior college. Mbakwe played as a freshman at Marquette, but left the Big East school after head coach Tom Crean left for Indiana.

"School is going really well. We have a couple of more weeks left. and I'll finally get my summer break."

Developing more of my 15-foot range and working more from the elbow and out. I'm not going to be able to just back people down. That is just going to open my game."

Mbawke and incoming freshman Rodney Williams Jr. wowed the crowd with their highlight reel dunk Tuesday. Mbakwe is hoping that Gopher will see the two makes their share of exciting plays this upcoming season.

"When Rodney committed and I committed, I knew that this was going to be one of the most athletic teams in Gopher history. With Royce and us, I am really looking forward to it. He can jump out of the gym."

Mbakwe said that he was aware of the rumors about him not playing for the team this season.

"I know that people have been mentioning about me not playing, but is not true. I'm here. Nothing's changed. I'm still going to be a Gopher. I am still going to continue to play my last two years. I had a reporter and one of my coaches bring it to my attention. I was shocked. There have been rumors during my entire high school career, so it was nothing new to me. I don't really pay attention to the message boards that much. It's a whole bunch of people who know basketball and some who don't who just go by what they read. I don't really put that much thought into it."

LOL!!!

"There have been rumors my entire high school career..."

That's because they were true. How many high schools and colleges has this kid attended?

While I applaud Trevor for not paying attention to the messageboards I still don't have a clue what the " rumors " are.

Would anyone mind saying exactly what they are ? It seems a lot of people have heard something but aren't willing to reveal, here anyway, what they heard.

See the "PiPress..." thread further down in this forum.

Doesn't fully explain what the rumor is, but no one is saying more than that.

LOL!!!

"There have been rumors my entire high school career..."

That's because they were true. How many high schools and colleges has this kid attended?

If they were true he wouldn't have passed the clearinghouse to play at Marquette. Playing at Juco was so that he didn't have to sit out a year for transferring and it allowed the Gophers to monitor his progress.

I just heard a rumor that he has a wildly mutating form of the Swine Flu. He will be lucky if he is able to play...

Not sure what this counts for...

but I will vouch for Trevor, his character, and the fact that he will be a Gopher.

I'm not going to pull a Sid and say that Trevor is close, personal, friend of mine. But what I can say is that he's impressed me beyond what I could have imagined. This is a kid who's grown up a lot. Trust me...when I heard he may be transferring here, I had my questions too...those were pushed aside when I met this young man.

Out of all the recruits I've worked with, he is by far, one of the most mature and reliable ones. He's also a nice kid, with a great sense of humor. I'm not sure where these "rumors" stemmed from - but he is mature enough at 20 or 21 years old, to not let if effect him. He's just going to get business done on the court.

I have been extremely impressed by Trevor, and I'm pretty sure, you all will be too.

Doesn't fully explain what the rumor is, but no one is saying more than that.

No one is willing to reveal what these dreaded rumors are ?

Enquiring minds want to know.

It sounds to me like the rumor is is that there's a rumor about Mbakwe. But that's only a rumor, because we don't even have a sniff of what the rumor really is. (tongue in cheek)

Top Bottom