Seat Backs for Bleachers?

Reaction score
Does anyone know when/how I can order my permanent seat back for my bleachers seat at TCF? It was mentioned in another thread, but no specifics were given. Anyone know how much they are?:confused:

I haven't heard they were doing this, but I would think it would be much cheaper just to get one of the stadium chair/cushions. Especially if you end up moving seats each year. I won't need to sit though watching Weber/Gray to Hayo for six every Saturday afternoon for the next two years. :cool02:

Does anyone know when/how I can order my permanent seat back for my bleachers seat at TCF? It was mentioned in another thread, but no specifics were given. Anyone know how much they are?:confused:

since the process is new to pretty much everyone my suggestion for the best, most thorough answer to this particular question: call the gopher ticket office. (612) 624-8080 or 1-800-UGOPHER or Email: [email protected]

i am sure they have all the details regarding the seat-back process. also, i believe any seat-backs and/or cushions have to be ordered through the gopher ticket office anyways in order to have one in the stadium, so i would just go straight to the source.

I haven't heard they were doing this, but I would think it would be much cheaper just to get one of the stadium chair/cushions. Especially if you end up moving seats each year. I won't need to sit though watching Weber/Gray to Hayo for six every Saturday afternoon for the next two years. :cool02:

i am not sure, but i don't believe people will be allowed to bring in their own seat-back or cushions. think you have to get a seat-back through the U of M, similar to how other schools do it.

From what I remember reading Season ticket holders were going to get a letter regarding the seat backs. Its an outside company that is providing the seat backs and I'm pretty sure the cost was $42 per seat for the entire season.

i am not sure, but i don't believe people will be allowed to bring in their own seat-back or cushions. think you have to get a seat-back through the U of M, similar to how other schools do it.

I think that cushions are ok but that seatbacks other than those sold by the U are not.

just make sure all you "seat-backers" still get off your arses and cheer!

both loudly and frequently! ;)

Fair warning to those in section 135

Feel free to get a seatback, but my group plans on not sitting during gameplay. Maybe it will be worth it for time outs?

Stand all you want

I'm in the first row of the upper deck so my seat back will get used plenty.

215178 Quote: I'm in the first row of the upper deck so my seat back will get used plenty.

Careful, 215178. You just committed a blunder that the GopherHole Gestapo is not going to be happy about. As a newcomer to GH, you are probably not aware that Gopher fans are now going to be expected to stand for extended periods at Gopher football games. It doesn't matter how old you are, how old the person sitting behind you is, or what kind of physical affliction either of you may be dealing with. Unless everyone gets on their feet they are going to miss a lot of the action, and they will be subject to criticism for not cheering hard enough and loud enough.

215178 Quote: I'm in the first row of the upper deck so my seat back will get used plenty.

Careful, 215178. You just committed a blunder that the GopherHole Gestapo are not going to be happy about. As a newcomer to GH, you are probably not aware that Gopher fans are now going to be expected to stand for extended periods at Gopher football games. It doesn't matter how old you are, how old the person sitting behind you is, or what kind of physical affliction either of you may be dealing with. Unless everyone gets on their feet they are going to miss a lot of the action, and they will be subject to criticism for not cheering hard enough, and loud enough.

Wow...you really are an annoying dickhead aren't you....

Letter in the mail came today

I just received a letter in the mail about he cushions. The cost was correct at $42 + tax for the season for a total of $45.27. Order by Sept. 1 and they will be installed prior to the first home game. It's waterproof, cushioned and has a beautiful block M on the back rest. I will have to check with the guy I share tickets with, but I think I will probably be ordering a couple.

The letter also mentioned that there will be no outside seat backs allowed in TCF bank stadium and that supply is limited (although I question just how limited).

I just hope the maroon on the cushion matches the maroon on the field, on the other seats and on the uniforms. ;)

I just went to the company's web site and saw that one of their many customers is Wisconsin. Anybody here sat in a bolted on seat at Camp Randall? And if so, was it comfortable and would it be worth an extra $6 per game?

I did NOT get the letter yet. I'll have to check the mail again tomorrow. I have four seats together in the corner and a fifth seatback ticket on the other side. I think I am going to get the seatbacks for the two outside seats on the four I have together in the corner.

I just went to the company's web site and saw that one of their many customers is Wisconsin. Anybody here sat in a bolted on seat at Camp Randall? And if so, was it comfortable and would it be worth an extra $6 per game?

Seat backs are nice. One, for the colder games when the aluminum sucks the heat out of your ass. Two, it keeps folks from encroaching onto your seats.

After sitting in many games at Lambeau, they are great "place holders", but then again the average Packer fan is 375lbs.....

Bunch of Mularkey

This whole Leasing your seat backs is a bunch of cr@p. Not once did the U ever say in the entire seat picking process that you couldn't bring your own seat back into the stadium. They said in the pamphlet that seats will be available to rent, but never did it say you couldn't bring in your own. Many people, not just us, thought that you could bring your own in, so for me to pay $45 (after tax) x 4 = $180 to lease a seat for the entire season is ridiculous. I could go out and buy 4 nice ones for that same price and have it for many years. We chose to sit in the bleachers because we were under the impression that we could bring them in, but HAD we known they were not allowed (all they had to do was put in one of the 3 pamphlets that we received that OUTSIDE SEAT BACKS NOT ALLOWED IN TCF BANK STADIUM), we would have probably got a chairback seat. When it was our time to pick there was plenty of chairback seats still left, but we have been in the end zone for 9 years so we wanted to stay in row 1 of EZ. We, as well as others, might have had a different outlook if the Gophers HAD told us that we couldn't bring in our own. $180 on top of our $1100 purchase price is a lot, I don't mind doing a one-time investment to get good ones, but to have to pay that EACH & EVERY year is not right. Not sure if others are with me on this, but if you are, contact the Gopher ticket office and tell them you are not happy. You can call me a whining crybaby all you want, but if you're going to make a rule like this, make it known from the get go, not 2 months before the season starts and after all the seats have been picked. This seriously leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, so voice your opinion if you agree.

Sorry dnord...I've never been to one college stadium that allows people to bring in their own seatbacks. They could have said it though.

This whole Leasing your seat backs is a bunch of cr@p. Not once did the U ever say in the entire seat picking process that you couldn't bring your own seat back into the stadium. They said in the pamphlet that seats will be available to rent, but never did it say you couldn't bring in your own. Many people, not just us, thought that you could bring your own in, so for me to pay $45 (after tax) x 4 = $180 to lease a seat for the entire season is ridiculous. I could go out and buy 4 nice ones for that same price and have it for many years. We chose to sit in the bleachers because we were under the impression that we could bring them in, but HAD we known they were not allowed (all they had to do was put in one of the 3 pamphlets that we received that OUTSIDE SEAT BACKS NOT ALLOWED IN TCF BANK STADIUM), we would have probably got a chairback seat. When it was our time to pick there was plenty of chairback seats still left, but we have been in the end zone for 9 years so we wanted to stay in row 1 of EZ. We, as well as others, might have had a different outlook if the Gophers HAD told us that we couldn't bring in our own. $180 on top of our $1100 purchase price is a lot, I don't mind doing a one-time investment to get good ones, but to have to pay that EACH & EVERY year is not right. Not sure if others are with me on this, but if you are, contact the Gopher ticket office and tell them you are not happy. You can call me a whining crybaby all you want, but if you're going to make a rule like this, make it known from the get go, not 2 months before the season starts and after all the seats have been picked. This seriously leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, so voice your opinion if you agree.

I'm too drunk to go looking for it so I can't speak to whether the 3rd mailing discussed this or not. However, the online Gopher Points page noted the fact that outside seatbacks would not be allowed since the time the 3rd mailing was sent. Check it out here if you don't believe me (its under the section titled TCF Bank Stadium). I don't think you're a crybaby. I'm just saying that the U wasn't hiding the fact that only their rentals would be allowed.

Sorry dnord...I've never been to one college stadium that allows people to bring in their own seatbacks. They could have said it though.

When my wife and I were living in Phoenix in 2005, we were able to bring our own chairbacks into Sun Devil Stadium for ASU football (had season tickets there for 1 year). They gave you the option of bringing your own in or renting one of theirs. So unless they've changed it since 05, ASU allows it. It's probably the rules around the Big Ten, so the gophers are following their lead regarding seat backs and alcohol consumption.

I'm too drunk to go looking for it so I can't speak to whether the 3rd mailing discussed this or not. However, the online Gopher Points page noted the fact that outside seatbacks would not be allowed since the time the 3rd mailing was sent. Check it out here if you don't believe me (its under the section titled TCF Bank Stadium). I don't think you're a crybaby. I'm just saying that the U wasn't hiding the fact that only their rentals would be allowed.

Thanks GoAupher for pointing that out. I guess I missed it on the website. In the 3rd mailing, all it says is "portable seat backs will be available for rental to season ticket holders with a bench seat location. More info will be forthcoming." All they had to do was add it there and it would have been a known fact. I guess I'm just mad because we were able to bring our own chairbacks into Ariz State football games, plus they're basically charging us the cost of one each & every year. It would have been a wiser financial decision to just buy a 4-set for $180 or so and bring em in than pay $180 PER SEASON. After 10 years, that's over $2000 (assuming they kick up the price over time) for something that could have been had for under $200. Either way, I'm still pumped for the season, cannot wait!!

I got the mailing yesterday as well. I had suspected from the beginning that we wouldn't be able to bring our own backs in.

As for comfort, I've sat on one of these bench backs at the Camp, and they beat the hell out of the bare aluminum bench.

Thanks GoAupher for pointing that out. I guess I missed it on the website. In the 3rd mailing, all it says is "portable seat backs will be available for rental to season ticket holders with a bench seat location. More info will be forthcoming." All they had to do was add it there and it would have been a known fact. I guess I'm just mad because we were able to bring our own chairbacks into Ariz State football games, plus they're basically charging us the cost of one each & every year. It would have been a wiser financial decision to just buy a 4-set for $180 or so and bring em in than pay $180 PER SEASON. After 10 years, that's over $2000 (assuming they kick up the price over time) for something that could have been had for under $200. Either way, I'm still pumped for the season, cannot wait!!

Ah...Now that you explain the ASU experience I can better see why you'd think that bringing your own would be ok.

We brought in seatbacks last year in Madison, and nobody said anything.

Does anyone have the website for the company selling the seat backs?

I emailed Maturi about not allowing people to bring seat-backs in and he flat-out said the U of M messed up by not notifying people about this. He didn't make any concessions; just admitted that they screwed up.

He also said they had already received a number of emails similar to mine (as of two days ago).

I was not happy about this since my group has already put forth an extra $1000 donation in order to be in a tailgating lot, and also reserved two additional spots in another lot, thus we have already contributed an extra $1500 here and yet we're not able to bring in a seatback that friends of mine have found in retail outlets for supposedly $22(!), which, assuming these are licensed products, the U of M is already making money off of.

Anyway, it is what it is and no use crying about it now, but I'm not renting them. For cold days, there are such things as blankets to sit on, ya know?

I emailed Maturi about not allowing people to bring seat-backs in and he flat-out said the U of M messed up by not notifying people about this. He didn't make any concessions; just admitted that they screwed up.

Kudos to Maturi for owning up to the mistake. The wording was vague enough where he could have hemmed and hawed about it while talking BS and he didn't.

Top Bottom