Kent Youngblood blogs after TCF Bank Stadium tour

BleedGopher

Reaction score
TCF Bank update
Posted on July 9th, 2009 – 11:49 AM
By Kent Youngblood
Greetings
A bunch of us from the Strib went over to walk through TCF Bank Stadium, which is approaching completion.

We’ll be writing reams of stuff on the stadium in the coming weeks, but here are some off-the-cuff impressions:

–This stadium will take pretty good care of the regular guy/gal. By that I mean those not holding the so-called premium seats. First of all, I don’t think there is a bad seat in the house. I believe every one of the 50,000 or so fans there will get the feeling this is a relatively intimate stadium. The seats are very, very close to the field. The concourses are huge. I mean really, really wide. And, unlike the Metrodome, when you go back to the concourse to, say, get something to eat, you’ll still feel connected to the game given the open design.

–The football-shaped locker room is cavernous. Sixty yards long. They could hold walkthroughs there.

–The recruiting room will make an impression. It, too, is huge and right off the locker room. There will be a slew of comfortable leather sofas and chairs and a slew of big tvs. It will far out-strip the tent they used to erect next to the Metrodome for visiting athletes and their families.

–The feeling of walking down the ramp from the locker room to the field, with the view of the campus and Minneapolis, is inspiring.

–I know nearly $290 million is a lot of money. I still say that, compared to other projects and renovations that have been done on the pro and college level over the past few years, you will get a lot of bang for the buck as fans.

–Every sink I saw had a block ”M” in it. Talk about attention to detail. I didn’t check the toilets.

Hmm, what else? I’m told their still kicking around the idea to cover all the concrete walls circling the field with a brick finish. currently they’re just concrete, with padding covering the walls at either end zone. I think adding the brick would be a nice touch that would tie the stadium to the old Brick House.

I’m also told the placing of the field will eliminate much of the sun from affecting play. In the fall the sun’s path should be blocked, for the most part, by the high south side of the structure.

–The field sports the latest generation of Field Turf. And, incidentally, the field is barely crowned. Doesn’t need to be, thanks to the state-of-the-art drainage system.

On another note, I just got off the phone with Karl Mecklenburg. He played alongside Rene Capo on the Gophers’ defensive line back in the day. Here’s what he had to say about Capo:

”Rene Capo was a tough kid and a great friend and teammate,” Mecklenburg said. ”He was full of life and enthusiasm. Even when I was down Rene would make me smile. His stories of growing up in South Florida with the gangs and drug trade scared this Minnesota boy half to death. His openness and willingness to discuss problems in school, football, or relationships with his friends was a reflection of how important teammates and friendship were to him. I had the pleasure of getting to know many great football players in my years in college and pro football but never met anyone who cherished being a teammate like Rene. This dedication was reflected in his work ethic in football and later in Judo. I already miss my teammate Rene.”

Mecklenburg lives in Colorado. He used to be a neighbor of Tim Brewster’s. The U of M coach had Karl come talk to the team last year.

I also got an e-mail from Ross Fortier. He was the coach at Moorhead State University (now Minnesota State University, Moorhead) from 1970 to 1992. Apparently Capo had a year of eligibility left and used it at MSU in 1984. ”He had a dominant season and was named NIC all-conference and NAIA honorable mention all-American,” Fortier wrote.
Capo did return to the U of M to get his degree.

http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs.../?location_refer=Homepage:PromoScroller:Blogs

Go Gophers!!

Good to hear they are still talking about a brick facade on the interior of the stadium. I've been thinking about this....how much could it really be to put brick on a 8 foot wall for 120 yards on both sides (~720-750 feet)? Are we talking $50k? $200k? $500k

I really have no idea.

It could be a fundraising opportunity. You could sell people the opportunity to lay a brick -- and collect donations for inscirptions too.

I wonder if they are not just keeping this in their back pocket for a later date.

We just had brick work done at our house

And given my calculations it cost us about $90 square foot but that included demo work, haul-away, foundation prep work, limestone cap, materials and labor. Would guess a project that size would be much less expensive per sq. foot. Would like to think the foundation was properly prepped so it would be just the brinklaying having to be accomplished.

I for one would not just want any rubes slapping some mortar on a brick and throwing it against concrete. Additionally I hope they do this sooner than later and use the same brick subcontractor that was used do the exterior of the stadium. Brick colors can change from lot to lot in the manufacturing process given all the variables that go into making a brick a brick.

Seriously, what's an extra $100,000 - 200,000 at this point?

I too zeroed right in on that "brick on the wall" comment. Great to hear. I hope it happens sooner than later. I wonder if they press if they could even do it prior to THIS SEASON? I'm looking forward to those "reams of stuff" they are planning to write about the stadium.

And by the way... am I the only one who has NOT had a tour of the stadium?

And by the way... am I the only one who has NOT had a tour of the stadium?

I also have not and feel the same way.

I would bet that they would use the precast brick in sheets similar to the exterior if they do the field wall. It would apply directly to the concrete wall and not add much thickness.

I also have not and feel the same way.

I would bet that they would use the precast brick in sheets similar to the exterior if they do the field wall. It would apply directly to the concrete wall and not add much thickness.

Its also less labor intensive (thereby being cheaper and quicker). And you won't see the difference on TV, even in HD.

Just a note, they didn't use precast everywhere on the exterior...just on the upper half of the stadium I believe.

And given my calculations it cost us about $90 square foot but that included demo work, haul-away, foundation prep work, limestone cap, materials and labor. Would guess a project that size would be much less expensive per sq. foot. Would like to think the foundation was properly prepped so it would be just the brinklaying having to be accomplished.

I for one would not just want any rubes slapping some mortar on a brick and throwing it against concrete. Additionally I hope they do this sooner than later and use the same brick subcontractor that was used do the exterior of the stadium. Brick colors can change from lot to lot in the manufacturing process given all the variables that go into making a brick a brick.

Doesn't have to match. Since you can't see the inside and outside at the same time really (just the small parts of the open end entrances), what does it matter? But I imagine sooner than later is still right. I imagine the color will fade, just like anything else.

That actually gave me a cool idea. I know some people were disappointed that the bricks they were selling weren't going to be used for anything other than putting on your mantle. How about using those bricks to line the inside of the stadium and letting some of those people actually lay their own brick (Supervised of course).

Not sure how many bricks it would take to line all the exposed concrete, but it's most likely more than they've sold so far. They could make the brick donation price based on the required brick total. Say $100 gets you your name on a brick that would be used in lining the stadium, $200 and you get to put it in yourself. I don't know if it would be feasible logistically and insurance wise, but it would be awesome to be able to say that you "helped" build a part of the stadium and be able to point out your brick. If they had enough takers, they could fund the whole interior brick decor from donations.

I personally think it would be dumb to put bricks that have writing on them inside the stadium. Just my opinion. Just put up the brick.

The precast thin brick was all the columns around the stadium and the brick spandrel above the columns.

I agree that it is preferable to not have bricks with writing on the inside of the stadium. Part of the appeal for getting your name on a brick is that it would be accessible in an area where you and others could walk by it.

Pre-cast fascia brick added to the concrete would be easy

Adding i the fascia brick to the concrete would be a lot easier and cheaper than real brick and still
look relatively old school. almost classic. That would be a nice finishing touch and could be done in time for the start of the place. Would like to see the names of all past All Americans, listed in the endzone on the walls and a memorial plaque acknowledging the students contribution to this place.

Adding i the fascia brick to the concrete would be a lot easier and cheaper than real brick and still
look relatively old school. almost classic. That would be a nice finishing touch and could be done in time for the start of the place. Would like to see the names of all past All Americans, listed in the endzone on the walls and a memorial plaque acknowledging the students contribution to this place.

They have this outside the student entrance.

Top Bottom