Trevor Mbakwe Sets Record Straight

ChemEGopher

Section 133 Row 28!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Looks like Mbakwe did an interview with scout to address the rumors about his off the court behavior. I can't read the article but based on the lead-in it looks like he will for sure be in maroon and gold next year. Good news.

Link

From the story:

Mbakwe said that he was aware of the rumors about him not playing for the team this season.

"I know that people have been mentioning about me not playing, but is not true. I'm here. Nothing's changed. I'm still going to be a Gopher. I am still going to continue to play my last two years. I had a reporter and one of my coaches bring it to my attention. I was shocked. There have been rumors during my entire high school career, so it was nothing new to me. I don't really pay attention to the message boards that much. It's a whole bunch of people who know basketball and some who don't who just go by what they read. I don't really put that much thought into it."

Good work Monter!

Go Gophers!!

its nice to see that someone has their "facts"34 straight!

I had a reporter and one of my coaches bring it to my attention. I was shocked. There have been rumors during my entire high school career, so it was nothing new to me. I don't really pay attention to the message boards that much. It's a whole bunch of people who know basketball and some who don't who just go by what they read. I don't really put that much thought into it."

Like I said in the other thread -

My mom knows Jenny's mom.

Facts34 is full of shit and should be banned.

I have no idea who jenny is but you definitely were right Reserve!

I had a reporter and one of my coaches bring it to my attention.

Nice to know the reporters and coaches check out what's going on here though !

Once the season starts if you need to know anything .. ask us !

We have all the answers !

Facts34 is full of shit and should be banned.
Always be wary of mid-20's Eden Prairie High School grads :clap:

However, I'd heard a few rumblings about something as well, with some details, but thought better than to post it on a fan forum for the die-hards to mull over during the long, boring summer months.

I don't really pay attention to the message boards that much. It's a whole bunch of people who know basketball and some who don't who just go by what they read. I don't really put that much thought into it."

Bravo for Trevor Mbakwe. :)

Hard to know from one quote but that's a pretty mature attitude.

Anonymously damaging a young man's reputation on the internet. Bravo!

Why should Facts be banned? I don't think he ever said that Trevor would for sure not play for the Gophers next year. He just said that something hapoened and it MIGHT prevent him from being on the team. At this point it's pretty obvious that something happened as more and more people are coming forward saying they heard the same rumor (myself included). So in the end Facts' facts were correct. You can argue about the ethics of posting it on a fan message board all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that these were rumors out there. I suspect that you didn't hear the murmors because your connection to trevor is his future mother-in-law and the allegations against him were not something anyone would want their future mother-in-law to know about.

Not to be a wet blanket, but what else can he say?

I am going to hope it was all crap or it will blow over........... but this does not set any records straight if you ask me.

I just hope it is a sign that he will be a Gopher come fall.

This is an example of the cons that go along with the pros of staying close to home. Trevor is an easy target for speculation being this is his 3rd college team after playing for 3 high school teams. Anyone who has gone back to live or especially work as a professional in their hometown should be able to sympathize with him.

Why should Facts be banned?

I'm with you Chem. He absolutely shouldn't be banned, and I'd wager money that he won't be.

You can argue about the ethics of posting it on a fan message board all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that these were rumors out there.

That was the beef I aired in the original thread. I didn't see what was gained by anyone, outside Facts himself, by posting that prior to anything being official.

As Anti has said, it may also be premature to start throwing dirt all over Facts. I think time will prove what he heard had legs - even if I disagree with the timing and intent of him posting it - and there's no guarantee that this has completely blown over to this point. My hope is that you can take Trevor's comments at face value and those with connections saying that nothing will come of this are correct while those with connections that say this could be a problem are incorrect.

Mbakwe is someone who left Marquette the day before fall classes were to begin. He said he would be at Marquette right up until the day he was not.

give me a break, trevor was looking to get out of Marquette at the beginning of the summer but tubby wasn't interested in a transfer at that time. Everyone at Marquette knew he wasn't happy and wanted to be closer to his kid and no matter how much certain marquette fans whine about it, plenty of people in Milwaukee knew he was leaving most of the summer, as did alot of people in the twin cities, so it was no suprise.

Why should Facts be banned? I don't think he ever said that Trevor would for sure not play for the Gophers next year. He just said that something hapoened and it MIGHT prevent him from being on the team. At this point it's pretty obvious that something happened as more and more people are coming forward saying they heard the same rumor (myself included). So in the end Facts' facts were correct. You can argue about the ethics of posting it on a fan message board all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that these were rumors out there. I suspect that you didn't hear the murmors because your connection to trevor is his future mother-in-law and the allegations against him were not something anyone would want their future mother-in-law to know about.

I agree completely. This would be a boring place to post if people were not allowed to venture opinions. The facts will come out in the end. The only things that people shouldn't say is: "You can't say that".

give me a break, trevor was looking to get out of Marquette at the beginning of the summer but tubby wasn't interested in a transfer at that time. Everyone at Marquette knew he wasn't happy and wanted to be closer to his kid and no matter how much certain marquette fans whine about it, plenty of people in Milwaukee knew he was leaving most of the summer, as did alot of people in the twin cities, so it was no suprise.

Thanks. And the reason he was at 3 colleges in 3 years is because he didn't want to sit out a year. He could have very easily transferred somewhere (to a D-1) and sat out a year, but instead he went to a JUCO so he could play right away.

Mbakwe was telling everyone in the media who asked that he was not leaving Marquette. That is not unlike the what happened again. Mbakwe has a history dating back to high school of pulling quick changes out of his hat. No matter what happens this time you would have to have your head buried 6 feet in the sand to pretend that Mbakwe should be taken at his word based on previous history.

Mbakwe was telling everyone in the media who asked that he was not leaving Marquette. That is not unlike the what happened again. Mbakwe has a history dating back to high school of pulling quick changes out of his hat. No matter what happens this time you would have to have your head buried 6 feet in the sand to pretend that Mbakwe should be taken at his word based on previous history.

Can you provide any verification of your assertions my Vary Brady Reference? Not that you're not believable but you are questioning a very reliable poster here. I'm referring to Trevor's correspondence with the media.

I don't know what you were reading, but every MN recruiting fan knew he wanted to come here as soon as Crean left, and would be a Gopher as soon as Tubby decided to offer. Tubby just needed some time to warm to the idea of a transfer, talk to Mbakwe, etc.

I don't know what you were reading, but every MN recruiting fan knew he wanted to come here as soon as Crean left, and would be a Gopher as soon as Tubby decided to offer. Tubby just needed some time to warm to the idea of a transfer, talk to Mbakwe, etc.

Tubby offered the day before Marquette was to begin fall semester?

Tubby offered the day before Marquette was to begin fall semester?

I see what you're doing there... that's clever. In case everybody forgot Mbakwe decided to leave Marquette the day before fall semester began. HEY... HEY SERIOUSLY GUYS... LISTEN TO ME!

No - he offered while Mbakwe was in junior college this past winter. Perhaps you were hibernating?

Mbakwe wanted out of Marquette as soon as Crean left? He was waiting for Tubby to offer?

Yet Mbakwe did not leave Marquette as soon as Crean left. He waited until the day before fall classes were going to begin at Marquette. Six months after Crean left Marquette and months before Tubby offered him a scholarship to Minnesota.

Was Trevor held hostage for 6 months at Marquette? Did Tubby have an offer to Mbakwe that was not made public before he bolted from Milwaukee?

Give me a break, after Crean left there was no reason for Mbakwe to stay at Marquette, and everyone (maybe besides Marquette fans) assumed he'd transfer, and he did. It was consistent with all of the Internet chatter and the stories that whole summer. The only questions were whether MN would have a scholarship for him, whether Tubby would take another transfer, and whether he would go to JC first to avoid sitting out a yr (after already missing most of his freshman yr bc of injury). Working out the last question is probably why he didn't physically leaving Marquette until [whenever]. It wasn't official that he was coming to MN at that time, but I'm sure he didn't make the decision without getting a sense of what the MN coaches thought him playing JC a year.

When a guy goes out of state to school, then the coach that recruited him leaves, you can't blame him for transferring. The only tragedy is that he's been screwed out of 2 years of eligibility, first by playing some meaningless minutes after coming back from injury late his freshman year, and then playing at a JC (instead of just transferring directly, presumably bc he needed the court time after the freshman injury).

I can guarantee you there was never anything agreed upon prior to Trevor leaving Marquette (at least from a MN standpoint). In fact, there was a time where it looked like Tubby was probably not even going to offer Trevor. There was a time there where it looked like Trevor was going to end up at the other "U" - Miami (Fla). Then, after some evaluation, Tubby opted to offer Trevor and Trevor eventually accepted.

Give me a break, after Crean left there was no reason for Mbakwe to stay at Marquette, and everyone (maybe besides Marquette fans) assumed he'd transfer, and he did. It was consistent with all of the Internet chatter and the stories that whole summer. The only questions were whether MN would have a scholarship for him, whether Tubby would take another transfer, and whether he would go to JC first to avoid sitting out a yr (after already missing most of his freshman yr bc of injury). Working out the last question is probably why he didn't physically leaving Marquette until [whenever]. It wasn't official that he was coming to MN at that time, but I'm sure he didn't make the decision without getting a sense of what the MN coaches thought him playing JC a year.

When a guy goes out of state to school, then the coach that recruited him leaves, you can't blame him for transferring. The only tragedy is that he's been screwed out of 2 years of eligibility, first by playing some meaningless minutes after coming back from injury late his freshman year, and then playing at a JC (instead of just transferring directly, presumably bc he needed the court time after the freshman injury).

That still does not explain why Mbakwe was telling Marquette that he was returning right up until he did not show up for fall practices. He worked out with Marquette team all summer. You can't believe a word he says. That is his history like it or not.

How do you know he was telling Marquette he would stay? There were numerous stories in that time frame that indicated he was leaving, and I didn't see any that suggested he told Marquette he was staying.

At the end of the day, though, Gopher fans probably don't care now that he's here.

Top Bottom