Looks like we're playing Butler in the 76 Classic

jjgopher

Reaction score
per sportsline.com

Organizers of the 76 Classic have informed participating schools of the bracket for their event.

The bracket, according to a source, is as follows:

* Texas A&M vs. Clemson
* West Virginia vs. Long Beach State
* UCLA vs. Portland
* Butler vs. Minnesota

Butler will likely be a top 15 team when face them. They have an outstanding front court with Matt Howard and Gordon Hayward. Haywood made the U19 team that RSIII got cut from. Brad Stevens is a very good young coach and Butler always plays fearlessly on the road and in neutral court situations. It should be a great contest and good measuring stick for the Gophs.

Is the bracket above listed as it would be in bracket format? As in, does the winner of our game get the winner of UCLA/Portland?

I know it's too far in the future, but I hope we get credit for Butler if we beat them. Those talking heads all over TV love to spout off if Butler beats you, but those teams hardly seem to get credit when they actually beat Butler.

Looks like they seeded the teams

Not sure if they did, but it appears they probably seeded the teams. If so, they did a nice job. It sure looks like they considered how teams performed last year, in combination with what their expectations are this year. The only minor quibble I'd have is West Virginia should be the top seed (UCLA lost an awful lot), and I'd flip-flop Long Beach & Portland.

1= UCLA
2= West Virginia
3= Texas A&M
4= Butler
5= Minnesota
6 = Clemson
7= Long Beach State
8 = Portland

I know it's too far in the future, but I hope we get credit for Butler if we beat them. Those talking heads all over TV love to spout off if Butler beats you, but those teams hardly seem to get credit when they actually beat Butler.

I don't think that will be an issue. They are not quite at the level of Gonzaga, but are probably the 2nd highest regarded 'small conference' team in the country. It certainly won't kill us if we lose. I'd rather have faced Long Beach for the Monson aspect, but given the sad state of the rest of our non-conference schedule, a game with Buter and hopefully UCLA to be follwed by West Virginia/Texas A&M is a nice way to get 3 quality games in.

If we lose to Butler, our potential great schedule will go down the shitter. If the brackets are correct, a loss to Butler means we would likley play Portland (barring an upset) next. Uggh.

Now, if we beat Butler, it will be a top tier schedule for certain.

If we lose to Butler, our potential great schedule will go down the shitter. If the brackets are correct, a loss to Butler means we would likley play Portland (barring an upset) next. Uggh.

Butler, Portland, Clemson is not that bad.

I can't wait for that game! My gf is a Butler alum. Granted I've converted her to a Gopher fan (she's even a season ticket holder for football), I know she'll be cheering for the Bulldogs.

In my eyes, I think that Butler tries to imitate the BADgers. They recruit guys that are committed to the system, play within their own games, and don't make mistakes. Considering we beat the BADgers twice last year (that won't ever get old) and our added athleticism this year, we should win this game.

Portland will be a very experienced team as they return 100% of their roster. Portland could conceivably win the WCC next year with the heavy losses to graduation/the draft that Gonzaga and St. Mary's will have to endure.

Butler, Portland, Clemson is not that bad.

Considering the field..I'd say its pretty bad. By themselves, it would be nice to have those three...not at the expense of playing UCLA, A&M, W.Virginia..

That said, Butler is a great matchup which should be fun.

Buter, UCLA and West Virginia would be awesome. Portland may be tougher than UCLA early on...as UCLA lost a lot. That said, UCLA should be good by the end of the year and a win over them would be a nice addition to the resume. A win over Portland is expected and a loss would be a bad loss any way you slice it.

I'm just happy we will get some quality games.

Anyone Going to Anaheim?

I have relatives in southern California and will be visiting over Thanksgiving, and attending the games.

Not sure if they did, but it appears they probably seeded the teams. If so, they did a nice job. It sure looks like they considered how teams performed last year, in combination with what their expectations are this year. The only minor quibble I'd have is West Virginia should be the top seed (UCLA lost an awful lot), and I'd flip-flop Long Beach & Portland.

1= UCLA
2= West Virginia
3= Texas A&M
4= Butler
5= Minnesota
6 = Clemson
7= Long Beach State
8 = Portland
Interesting seedings. My admitted small sample of early preseason polls have only three of those teams consistently ranked in the top-25 and UCLA is not one of them.

1. West Virginia .... #9
2. Butler #10-#15
3. Minnesota #23-#25

How good will Clemson be next year?

Top Bottom