U Revenue Loss Due to Banning Alcohol

mplsbadger

Reaction score
At a loss of $1 million annually, this amounts to the legislature mandating that the U incur a cost of $3 per seat per game so that we can feel good that a rich guy in a suite isn't drinking a beer. This has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen our legislature do. Hopefully the refunds are only for this year and they can undo this next year.

Bummer.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/50088357.html

Wow reading the comments many people still don't get who forced the U in to this corner and why the decision was made to have no alcohol sales. There is nothing the U could have done to win in this scenario, in my opinion.

The comment sections in that article make my blood boil

Betcha can't pick out my $0.02 comment.

Wow reading the comments many people still don't get who forced the U in to this corner and why the decision was made to have no alcohol sales. There is nothing the U could have done to win in this scenario, in my opinion.

fully agree. the funny thing is that most of those posters would also be the first in line to complain about something they bought not meeting the sellers' representations. The U promised a product. People bought that product. Now the U has been placed in a position where it cannot provide that product. go figure that adjustments have to be made to make the buyers happy.

generally only the govt can get away with changing the rules in the 9th inning, and on top of it feel good about itself.

If the University wants to make up for that $1M loss of revenue, how will they do it? They will raise ticket prices for the general seating and/or concession area. Who does that hurt the most? The middle class.

Government intervention = price breaks for rich + increased cost to middle class + nobody happy

This is a crap situation for the U to be stuck in....no easy way out.

However, I don't know if the U got the rebate values right for games at the Bank. The way I see it the indoor club (while losing a bit of value) still maintains significant value because it offers a climate controlled environment to watch from, which for a lot of people will be a huge difference with some of the later season cold games especially since we ticketholders are not used to it.

On the otherhand the outdoor club seats really lost most of their value without booze options. Those ticketholders could have easily purchased the $500 donation seats instead with the almost the same views of the game.

Maybe some ticketholders in these seats have a different viewpoint on it. What do you all think? Is this enough? Too much? There is no way they will make everyone happy in this situation but I think one of the worst things in the long term is if they were to chase away big $ ticketholders before at least getting a chance to talk the legislature into changing the laws for future years.

The loss is not only the 1 million rebate but the loss of revenue from the beer sales itself.

We see this more and more each day, not only from the local level but the national level also.
The Government is getting more and more into running our lives. What's next?

We see this more and more each day, not only from the local level but the national level also.The Government is getting more and more into running our lives. What's next?

Be careful posting something like that Rog...

130-126~Big-Brother-is-Watching-You-Posters.jpg

Garofalo: "It’s going to be the same as the last 26 years when the Gophers were playing at the Metrodome...The only thing that’s changing is where they’re playing football."
and:
"They trusted the taxpayers of the state to pay for the stadium,” he said. “They can trust the taxpayers to have a beer at a football game."

I get so angry at this guy I just can't explain it. Way to shove this down the university's throat.

Garofalo: "It’s going to be the same as the last 26 years when the Gophers were playing at the Metrodome...The only thing that’s changing is where they’re playing football."
and:
"They trusted the taxpayers of the state to pay for the stadium,” he said. “They can trust the taxpayers to have a beer at a football game."

I get so angry at this guy I just can't explain it. Way to shove this down the university's throat.

No doubt, that guy just doesn't get it. The U now owns and operates the new stadium. They get to make decisions based on their best interests for fans and making money. The U had a great plan with regards to serving beer and making money. For some reason, the govt thinks they should be running everything in this country. I do not like the direction we are going.

And why shouldn't this new bill apply to Mariucci and Williams then? Don't those people want beer too?? As a hockey and football fan, that wouldn't be fair.......lol.

I sent a letter to Rep. Garofalo posted below. I would encourage others to do the same. Follow up with a letter to your legislators (Senate and House) expressing your views.

Mr. Garofalo,
As a graduate of the University of Minnesota and avid football fan, I am disgusted by the legislature's decision to meddle in what should be a University decision on whether and how to sell alcohol in the stadium. I read your comments in an article in the Minnesota Daily student newspaper and felt compelled to respond.
The University did not own the Metrodome and had little clout on whether alcohol was sold there. Furthermore, they do not have the level of liability that they do in TCF, which they own and operate.
If you have ever been to a Gopher football game and walked into the student section it would become clear very quickly that many students under 21 had beers in their hands. You can argue for the "right" of adults to legally enjoy a beer at the game, but inevitably under age students will drink and the U will be liable for the results.
I am sure you are also aware of the recent deaths of Minnesota college students that have been alcohol related. It seems irresponsible to put students in a position to repeat such tragedies due to binge drinking at football games.
The NCAA gave the University a grant recently to develop activities as alternatives to drinking and fight dangerous drinking habits by students, which would ring hypocritical if they turned around and offered alcohol to their students inside the stadium.
Furthermore, if you had researched this at all you would see that exactly ZERO Big Ten stadiums offer alcohol to students. This standard is replicated in stadiums all across the country in every conference. College sports are not professional sports and most state legislatures seem to recognize this - why can't you?
Legislators asserting that TCF is taxpayer-supported conveniently ignore that offering alcohol in premium seats only was the plan FROM THE START. The legislature passed a funding bill knowing full well (or should have known) the alcohol serving plans. The University was perfectly clear and up-front about it, and has been selling premium seats with that in mind the for almost two years. This last-minute intervention, throwing the U's plans into chaos, is reckless and immature.
Following your logic, shouldn't the next cause to rally our righteous legislature be requiring alcohol sales at high school events? After all, aren't high schools taxpayer-supported? Certainly of-age fans should be able to enjoy a beverage responsibly. What is the difference between high schools and universities? Simply that a portion of the student body is 21+? Certainly only showing an ID to show age would be enough?
The University, like the legislature, has issues of great importance to tackle in order to keep higher education in Minnesota excellent and affordable. Dealing with the legislature's idiotic meddling distracts all sides from spending their time improving the University.
I am not a member of your legislative district, but there is a way I can protest what I see as nothing less than idiotic meddling on the part of self-righteous and self-promoting legislators. I intend to donate $100 to your opponent in the next election cycle strictly because of your inability to focus on issues that truly impact Minnesota and instead insist on making legislative issues out of what should be an internal University matter. I further intend to urge friends, colleagues, and fellow alumni to vote against you because you obviously cannot resist spending your time tying up the University with issues that do not benefit higher education in Minnesota.

Well put on all fronts. Pretty much sums up my frustrations in a non-threatening way. I will also send a letter.

borninthebarn

Tim Brewster would say you showed "tremendous passion" with that letter. Please post his response should you receive it. :clap:

It's a good thing that we aren't currently suffering through the worst economic crisis (hopefully) that most of us have to endure in our lifetimes. Otherwise it would be awfully stupid for our representation to be bickering about alcohol being served in certain areas of a football stadium.

You guys need to get over this. GopherIllustrated has not had a single thread on this issue for weeks. You are obsessed with it. You seem to think that the U is a private oranization that should be able to do whatever it wants. I have a news flash for you. The U is owned by the citizens of Minnesota, and it gets at least 50% of their funding from taxpayers. The U is a very public institution and the Governor and the State Legislature have a hell of a lot to say about how it is operated. In addition to taxpayer funding, all 12 members of the Board of Regents are elected by the Legislature. The U does not operate independently of the Governor and Legislature. Period.

The Governor and Legislature have clearly spoken on this issue. Bruininks and the Board of Regents made an irresponsible financial decision and the U is going to have to live with the consequences for the next year. Hopefully, Bruininks and the Board will come to their senses next year. They should reverse their ridiculous decision and decide to substantially increase revenues at Gopher Stadium by establishing a beer garden for non-premium seatholders and allowing the premium seatholders to drink until they fall over. Any other decision should be considered nonfeasance in office and the whole lot of them should be fired.

The Governor and Legislature have clearly spoken on this issue.

When they passed a bill they knew would bring about the exact opposite result? Wow, that's so clear.

You guys need to get over this. GopherIllustrated has not had a single thread on this issue for weeks.

Memo to Gopherhole: Any new thread created must have a corresponding thread at GI.

in addition, once the legislature and governor speak, its over.... never, ever bring it up again... just like the abortion debate or taxes...once its "decided", it's decided forever...

You guys need to get over this. GopherIllustrated has not had a single thread on this issue for weeks. You are obsessed with it. You seem to think that the U is a private oranization that should be able to do whatever it wants. I have a news flash for you. The U is owned by the citizens of Minnesota, and it gets at least 50% of their funding from taxpayers. The U is a very public institution and the Governor and the State Legislature have a hell of lot to say about how it is operated. In addition to taxpayer funding, all 12 members of the Board of Regents are elected by the Legislature. The U does not operate independently of the Governor and Legislature. Period.

I think everyone agrees that the U is not completely separate from the state and that they do depend on the legislature for funding. But as has been pointed out multiple times, when if comes to how the U is run it does operate independently. Its called Constitutional Autonomy.

If the legislature has problems with how the Regents run it then the need to elect new ones. Meddling in the internal policies of the U is outside their Constitutionally granted authority. Maybe not a big deal to you, but I kinda like it when the government follows, ya know, its basic legal principles/documents. And I'm quite proud to be obsessed about that.

Everything's OK!!

Someone started a new thread about the Daily article over at Gopher Illustrated. It's now okay to discuss this at Gopherhole. Carry on!

Someone started a new thread about the Daily article over at Gopher Illustrated. It's now okay to discuss this at Gopherhole. Carry on!

Whew! I'm glad we have the go-ahead now. Maximus you crack me up, definitely one of my favorite posters.

Whew! I'm glad we have the go-ahead now. Maximus you crack me up, definitely one of my favorite posters.

Finally, something we can agree about. Maximus is one of my favorite posters too.

EDIT - I want to point out that Rep. Garofalo emailed me again and apologized if he sounded too hostile and that he simply believed that the reasons behind the legislation were good ones. I am not going to post that email, but I probably egged him on a bit, and I'll respect the fact that he wants a reasonable dialogue.

Thank you for the email. While you are entitled to your opinion, here are some corrections to your email.

1) The University had absolute control over whether to sell alcohol at the Metrodome. There was no requirement that alcohol be served at Metrodome events.
2) There is no liability issue for alcohol sales. The vendor selling the alcohol would be required to have the appropriate insurance and would be liable for any alcohol claims.
3) I've been to many Gopher games and can assure you that this change in alcohol policy will have zero effect on under 21 drinking.

There are many more important things than this issue. That being said, I don't believe that the price of a person's ticket determines their ability to responsibly use alcohol. The academic and corporate elites feel that way, but I don't....and neither do a vast majority of Democrats and Republicans. If the University wants to be high and mighty, then they can stop selling cigarettes on campus too.

I would encourage you to tell as many people in my district as possible about my position on this issue. So far the calls and emails are running 10 to 1 in favor of my position.

But like I said, there are more important things to be working on. The media just chooses to cover some of I and other elected officials do.

Thanks again for the dialogue. Please keep in mind I and others are simply asking that the alcohol policy stay the same, it is the U who wants to change things.

They should reverse their ridiculous decision and decide to substantially increase revenues at Gopher Stadium by establishing a beer garden for non-premium seatholders and allowing the premium seatholders to drink until they fall over. Any other decision should be considered nonfeasance in office and the whole lot of them should be fired.

Hey, one-track-mind-idiot, please explain to the less enlightened of us on the board how a beer garden will prevent underaged individuals from being served alcohol sold to them by the U.

Many on this board need to finally believe that the public (10 to 1 according to this rep and online responses to newspaper articles) thinks beer should be sold everywhere at TCF. The world will not end if TCF sells beer. There will be many drunk students and fans at TCF regardless of if TCF sells beer.

When the U comes to the government next year asking for money don't you think the government will say the U decided to refund $1 million to ticket holders and miss out on another $__ in beer sales. You must not really need more money. Would the public be happy to pay more taxes or higher ticket prices next year because beer is sold at TCF?

The liability arguement is pretty much thrown out the window when Joe Public knows the government told the U to sell beer and the vendor is responsible for liability insurance and making sure they only sell to those over 21. Ask a student and most will tell you they get wasted before the games and can't afford the $7 beers sold at the game.

I know the board will disagree with me but the public generally feels this way. The U might as well not give away the beer money when it is needed in these times.

Overall a decent response with some good info in it (assuming he's right which I'm willing to do). Some thoughts on his specific points.

1) The University had absolute control over whether to sell alcohol at the Metrodome. There was no requirement that alcohol be served at Metrodome events.
This was what I had always understood too. I think the reasoning behind the U's choice would be clear though...revenue. The U got next to no money on anything at the Dome except food and beverage sales (at least that's how I understood it) and beer = money they needed to fund the dept. This is also the #1 reason undercutting the U's decision in the eyes of the wider public. Even though the Dome was off campus, the U made the choice to serve beer to everyone (including students) in return for money and are willing to forgo that money only now that there are other sources of revenue in TCF. The optics of this are definitely negative.
2) There is no liability issue for alcohol sales. The vendor selling the alcohol would be required to have the appropriate insurance and would be liable for any alcohol claims.
Even if true, the U would likely be sued in addition to the vendor in the event of a death/injury. Also, lack of liability legally doesn't have anything to do with liability in a PR sense. Again, the U's decision to allow beer sales at the Dome undercuts them here a little, though had there been an incident at the Dome the U would likely have gotten more leeway since the Dome is off campus and not U owned.
3) I've been to many Gopher games and can assure you that this change in alcohol policy will have zero effect on under 21 drinking.
This is the argument I hate the most because its so dumb. Of course underage students will be drunk if they want to be. No one disputes this will happen with or without alcohol sales. But the key is the source of the booze. Did the U provide it at TCF? Or did they guzzle it down at a house party? To ignore this fact is to ignore the PR elements at play. Again, while the U may have allowed beer sales at the Dome they were insulated from criticism because it was the Dome. Not so at TCF.
That being said, I don't believe that the price of a person's ticket determines their ability to responsibly use alcohol. The academic and corporate elites feel that way, but I don't....and neither do a vast majority of Democrats and Republicans.
Ugh. Such a straw man. When did the U say they thought rich people would be more responsible? Also, great use of the pandering populist lingo by tossing in "elites".
Thanks again for the dialogue. Please keep in mind I and others are simply asking that the alcohol policy stay the same, it is the U who wants to change things.
Again, a little misdirection here. The U is changing course with respect to whether beer gets served at a Gopher FB game, this is true. However, they are being completely consistent in how they handle the policy of serving alcohol at U controlled facilities. When you highlight the former while ignoring the latter you aren't making an honest argument.

I also liked how Garofalo never addresses why he or other legislatures never once complained about the U's decision in the past. They've known about this for years but only now do they make a stink.

Many on this board need to finally believe that the public (10 to 1 according to this rep and online responses to newspaper articles) thinks beer should be sold everywhere at TCF. The world will not end if TCF sells beer. There will be many drunk students and fans at TCF regardless of if TCF sells beer.

When the U comes to the government next year asking for money don't you think the government will say the U decided to refund $1 million to ticket holders and miss out on another $__ in beer sales. You must not really need more money. Would the public be happy to pay more taxes or higher ticket prices next year because beer is sold at TCF?

The liability arguement is pretty much thrown out the window when Joe Public knows the government told the U to sell beer and the vendor is responsible for liability insurance and making sure they only sell to those over 21. Ask a student and most will tell you they get wasted before the games and can't afford the $7 beers sold at the game.

I know the board will disagree with me but the public generally feels this way. The U might as well not give away the beer money when it is needed in these times.
It's clear that the U put themselves at a disadvantage b/c of their previous decisions to allow beer sales at the Dome. Take that away and no one would say a word.

To be honest, I'd care less about the legislature's moves here if:
1) they had been opposed all along instead of waiting for the negative phone calls following a STrib story. The pandering and intellectually dishonest elements of their arguments is part of what riles me up.
2) they weren't ignoring the fact that the U does in fact have the right/power to control their own policies. I'm not a big fan of ignoring constitutional protections/restrictions. It is possible for the popular position to be wrong. That is why the U was granted their autonomy in the first place.

Less than 50% of the U's funding is provided by taxpayers. Check it. Page 9 shows clearly that 43.9% of the U's revenue for FY09 was from the state. That is how it typically is in a given year. In addition, less than half of the funding for the stadium was from the state - 48%. Close to 50%, but the U still found funding for over half the stadium cost from private venues, either student services, corporate donations, or private donations. And they have done a hell of a job getting that done as well.

The whole "taxpayers paid for the stadium, they deserve alcohol" argument is so tiring. Don't forget that 3,000+ (6%) fans can be assumed to be from out of state. Why oh why are they reaping the benefits then????

The legislation DID have their say in the matter when they had the choice to approve or disapprove the proposal for the stadium. As borninthebarn's letter stated, the U's plan for premium seating, concessions, alcohol, and everything else was clearly defined with a full budget layout and prediction for revenue based on this plan for many years. They (legislature) approved it.

In addition, as you stated, the legislature already had their say in who runs and operates the U by appointing the Board of Regents themselves. They deemed that this group of 12 was capable of making the decisions like this so that the entire legislative body wouldn't have to. No, the university does not operate independently of the gov. and leg., but they do have autonomy from the state as defined by our state constitution (look it up). The state has the right to affect how the U operates by approving its budget and appointing the board of regents.

Bruinicks and co made the right decision to ban alcohol sales. Period. There is too much liability in selling alcohol to the general public, not even mentioning students and the underage drinking that will go on (guaranteed). Possible law suits and bad publicity are not what they need (from a financial standpoint). As Bruinick's stated many times, selling alcohol in the general seating does not conform to the U's mission, or line up with Williams or Mariucci's policies (which the legislature obviously had no problem with). Selling alcohol in the general seats also doesn't line up with the rest of the college football world.

The fact is that this pandering and meddling pisses a lot of people off. The equal right to have beer everywhere argument is complete and total BS. Just because taxpayers helped pay for something doesn't give them the automatic right to have the opportunity to be served alcohol there. The U has the right to decide how to make the most money with the lease amount of risk, and they decided providing alcohol in the suites and premium areas was in their best interest (from a competitive standpoint of selling suites and the ability to hose events like weddings, etc). As others have posted in other threads, why stop at alcohol? Don't regular folk have the right to a chair-back? Or the same concessions that are available in the premium areas? Pretty sure the state helped fund every other stadium/arena, but they didn't force the variety of food options on every concession stand in every joint.

Furthermore, suite/premium seat holders paid more for their seats, therefore they deserve better amenities and options. Just like everything else in the world. How much has the state poured in to the MSP airport and NWA? Yet people riding in first class still get full meals, free booze, better seats with more room, and their own entrance line at check-in, security, and boarding. Wow... How many more examples of this do you want?

Wow in the time it took to write that quite a lot went on...

Top Bottom