Marcus Coker slightly favors Maryland over MN, Stanford and Wake

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this update from SuperPrep.com:

Maryland was the first program to offer in-state running back Marcus Coker last December. “The coaches are very cool,” Coker said. “They are all down-to-earth and they don’t seem like they’re super strict or anything. I feel like I could talk to them about anything.” Maryland is recruiting Coker as an all-purpose back. “They said I’d rarely come off the field...”

Marcus Coker, the 6-foot, 230-pound, three-star running back/linebacker from DeMatha Catholic High School in Hyattsville, Md., has 10 scholarship offers and the school to beat is in-state favorite Maryland.
“It’s only 10 minutes away,” Coker said. “And that doesn’t really matter too much, but I like that it’s close for my family to see me.”

The ‘Terps were Coker’s first offer last December. “The coaches are very cool,” he said. “They are all down-to-earth and they don’t seem like they’re super strict or anything. I feel like I could talk to them about anything.”

Maryland is recruiting Coker as an all-purpose back. “They said I’d rarely come off the field,” he said.

Scout.com’s No. 60 running back now favors Maryland slightly over Wake Forest, Minnesota and Stanford. All of his favorites have offered as well as Michigan, Michigan State, Kansas State, Iowa, New Mexico and Delaware.

Besides Maryland, the only other school that Coker has actually visited is Wake Forest. “The academics at Wake are great,” he said. “I love how it’s a small school. It’s a community and very family-oriented.

“I felt very welcome there and at home there,” he said. “It’s really cool because everyone seems to know your name and everyone is really friendly.”

Coker plans on visiting the Demon Deacons again in July. He doesn’t plan on attending any camps this summer.

Growing up, he says he followed Georgia, but says the Dawgs haven’t been recruiting him.

“I really want to be able to see myself make a difference and play for an offense that fits me,” Coker said. “It needs to fit my playing style.

“I also want to make sure I get along with the coaches,” he said. “I want to feel like I could go to them and talk about anything.”

Coker says he doesn’t have a time frame for a decision, but admits he’d like to take official visits to Minnesota and Stanford this fall.

“They have a pretty good history of backs,” he said. “I like the Big Ten a lot and I think I’d fit their offense. They like big downhill power runners like me.

“I like Stanford’s offense too,” Coker said. “They said they like how I’m an all-purpose back and think I’d be able to play early.

“Stanford is also really high on academics,” he said.

Coker admits he’s still trying to find a school to fit that fifth spot. “Michigan is a contender,” he said. “I haven’t really been thinking about a top five too much. It’s not for sure yet.”

The Wolverines are one of the few schools that have offered Coker as a linebacker instead of running back. Kansas State and Delaware are also recruiting Coker for defense.

“I’ll play either one,” he said. “That doesn’t matter.

“I think I’ll know when it’s time to commit,” he said. “I’ll just go by how I feel.”

Coker finished his junior season with 1,100 yards rushing for 19 touchdowns on 108 carries.

“I can run downhill,” he said. “I don’t waste movements and have football smarts. I’m a big bruising back and play with a lot of power.”

He says he can bench 360-pounds, squat 490 and has a 31-inch vertical jump.

“I want to improve my agility,” he said. “And make people miss more.”

Coker plans on majoring in astronomy and reports a 3.3 core GPA and 1010 SAT (two-parts).

http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=176&p=2&c=875852

Go Gophers!!

with lipscomb, a higher rated kirkwood, and a chance lamonte plays running back

i really could care less at this point about coker

with lipscomb

Not yet on campus

a higher rated kirkwood

He hasn't signed anything yet (have we learned nothing from Zagsebski?)

and a chance lamonte plays running back

You said yourself on a different thread that he'll almost certainly play LB

I'm not saying any of these things will happen. In fact, all three may very well end up in the Gophers' offensive backfield. But you must have contingencies in place. If nothing else, guys like Coker might be the best backup plans we have.

with lipscomb, a higher rated kirkwood, and a chance lamonte plays running back

Isn't his HS a hotbed of talent usually? If it is then that's another potential recruiting pipeline we could open by getting him here.

check out this kid's video, he's much more talented than kirkwood.
I have to say though, Edwards looks impressive at HB, he very well could stay there in college.

As far as Lipscomb goes, I really hope he is here and contributing ASAP, but if not, I'd feel better about having a guy like coker in the mix, 3 HB's isn't too much, especially when you're overhauling your offense to a power game.

In any way, it's never bad to be picking up big, strong, runningbacks, who know's where they could end up playing, DL wilhite and Anthony Jacobs were HB's in HS, now they are DE's.

Top Bottom