Marcus' blog: Barnes to decide after taking official visits

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Harrison Barnes to decide after official visits
By Marcus Fuller

The Gophers top recruiting target and Iowa standout Harrison Barnes doesn't seem to want to decide on a school until after he takes his five official visits.

Barnes, a 6-foot-7 wing from Ames High School, told gocyclones.com last week that he probably would start cutting his list down after the summer AAU season was over. He didn't know if he would narrow it to five schools.

"So far, the only thing I know is I'll make my decision after my official visits," he said in the article. "I don't know if I'll sign in the early period or the late period."

Besides traveling with Howard Pulley's AAU team, Barnes was invited to the Paul Pierce Skills Academy and the LeBron James Skills Academy this week. He reportedly has made unofficial visits to North Carolina, Kansas, Duke, UCLA, Stanford and Minnesota.

Barnes was leapfrogged in the Rivals.com's national rankings by Florida guard Brandon Knight for the No. 1 spot in the 2010 class. But Barnes is still the top player in Scout.com and ESPN.com's rankings.

-- It was surprising that Columbia Heights guard Jacob Thomas, ranked No. 75 by ESPN.com, wasn't invited to any of the prestigious NBA player camps this summer hosted by stars such as Pierce, James or Vince Carter. The fact that no Minnesota player participated in any of these camps is a sign of how far the in-state talent has dropped from the 2009 class with Royce White and Rodney Williams Jr.

-- Several of Minnesota's top prep players, including Thomas and his Howard Pulley teammates, will be competing in the Next Level Invitational this week in Milwaukee. The Gophers' targets expected to attend are from the 2010 class: Thomas, Chad Calcaterra, Vander Blue from Wisconsin, Jesse Berry from Indiana, Mike McCall from Illinois, Chim Kadima from Wisconsin. And from the 2011 class: Marcus Alipate from Bloomington, Markus Crider from Ohio and Joe Hanstad from North Dakota.

-- Former Gophers center Jon Williams is scheduled to play with the Howard Pulley Bye team in the Pulley Pro City League this week.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2009/07/harrison-barnes-to-decide-afte.html

Go Gophers!!

Was just looking at NBADraft.net's 2011 mock and they have Barnes #1 overall.

Top Bottom