Tailgating Lots

Yah-E

Bulieve
Reaction score
Just so I am clear....

With the Stadium being "dry", talks in the past about the fraternity row being "dry", and our campus had been "dry", can we drink and bring alcohol to the designate tailgate lots?

Can I set up a Gopher inflatable jumpy thing with my Gopher 6 X 4 foot flag flying in the sky with the keg coolers built in?

No articles have touch upon this topic, are or will there be any University tailgating rules? Since this is our first year tailgating on campus, it's either going to be CRAZY awesome or the University will ruin it for us!

Any news or insights on this?

Republicans are the "moral crusaders" nomally....

depends whether or not the liberals catch wind of this....

So there is plenty of blame to pass around. The bill had bi-partisan support.

Just so I am clear....

With the Stadium being "dry", talks in the past about the fraternity row being "dry", and our campus had been "dry", can we drink and bring alcohol to the designate tailgate lots?

Can I set up a Gopher inflatable jumpy thing with my Gopher 6 X 4 foot flag flying in the sky with the keg coolers built in?

No articles have touch upon this topic, are or will there be any University tailgating rules? Since this is our first year tailgating on campus, it's either going to be CRAZY awesome or the University will ruin it for us!

Minnesota tailgating rules are posted in this thread:

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=4889&highlight=tailgating+rules

Just so I am clear....

Drink away friend!

Obviously the "rules" can change...they did for the suites and club seats....

Not saying they will change, just don't count your chickens before they hatch....

All it takes is for a couple of idiots to break the rules, and tailgating will be taken away from us.

Just keep the beer to plastic bottles and cans, and we'll all be good to go.

depends whether or not the liberals catch wind of this....

This is an example of the problem that caused the whole mess with alcohol (and major loss of revenue for the Gophers) in the first place. The law that forbids alcohol in the suites had nothing to do with one party being wrong and the other right. It's this constant need to pander to the public and make the "other guy" look bad that created this rediculous law that will eventually be changed but not before it costs the U millions.

If a person really felt the need to place blame for the constant funding cuts and continued decrease of state support for the U (and, in turn, the athletic dept.), they would be hard pressed to blame "the liberals".

Thanks for directing me to the "tailgating PDF".....

Since this tailgating thing is new to our campus in Bruinicks era, we'll see how long until the University revokes some of the tailgate privileges. Well at least the University Police prestinct will be put back to work.

Well at least the University Police prestinct will be put back to work.

IIRC, an article came out a couple months ago saying that the new stadium and the security/police needs around the game and campus had stretched forces so thin that there wouldn't be many, if any, "party patrols" monitoring situations in neighborhoods. Not sure how this applies to tailgate lots, but I imagine you won't have more than a single walk-through by a police officer, if that, while you're tailgating. I would imagine management of the lot and rules enforcement will be left to those staffing the lot.

IIRC, an article came out a couple months ago saying that the new stadium and the security/police needs around the game and campus had stretched forces so thin that there wouldn't be many, if any, "party patrols" monitoring situations in neighborhoods. Not sure how this applies to tailgate lots, but I imagine you won't have more than a single walk-through by a police officer, if that, while you're tailgating. I would imagine management of the lot and rules enforcement will be left to those staffing the lot.

Just an FYI:

The University PD is responsible for the stadium and U owned parking lots. The Minneapolis PD handles all the neighborhoods. Plus if the UPD is spread thin, they can always contract with other PDs to help out.

I dont think the U can charge all that money they are for these tailgating spots, and then try to tell people they cant have some beers. Maybe not kegs, but i dont see any way they will be able to limit people enjoying themselves in these lots. If they do try to implement some no-drinking clause, or have cops on patrol hassling people, I would ask for my money back on the parking spot.

sec. 231!!!

I dont think the U can charge all that money they are for these tailgating spots, and then try to tell people they cant have some beers. Maybe not kegs, but i dont see any way they will be able to limit people enjoying themselves in these lots. If they do try to implement some no-drinking clause, or have cops on patrol hassling people, I would ask for my money back on the parking spot.

sec. 231!!!

I'm surprised our lovely state govt hasn't went after the U on the issue of some people having non-tailgating lots that can't drink their beer......:clap:

When I visited Ann Arbor back in 2004 we parked on the high school field kitty-korner from the stadium. Since it was a high-school the official policy was "no alcohol on premisis" but we were quickly instructed by the Wolverine fans that this is not enforced. If you pour your beer in a plastic cup the cops will not question you. If you have a beer in the can/bottle they will ask you to "remove the container" and will often even provide you with a plastic cup which will assist you.

I am hoping the UPD and MPD have similar enforcement. (i.e. if you aren't being an idiot, you will be left alone)

I'm surprised our lovely state govt hasn't went after the U on the issue of some people having non-tailgating lots that can't drink their beer......:clap:

Agree. Why not pass a law that says that if one lot can have beer on the East bank, all lots can have beer on the east bank...after all, the tailgate lots on the east bank required a premium seat donation.

Come to think of it, they should dictate for all Twins and Vikings games Wally the beer man and his colleagues trudge their trays up to the top of the upper deck as many times as they traverse the lower deck. This will ensure that the fans in the cheap seats get equal access to the vendors. No sense letting the market work and have them go where the sales and tips are. After all the dome was paid for with taxpayer dollars. Maybe some of the beer law proponents for TCF can sign up to count their steps to ensure compliance....

Come to think of it, they should dictate for all Twins and Vikings games Wally the beer man and his colleagues trudge their trays up to the top of the upper deck as many times as they traverse the lower deck. This will ensure that the fans in the cheap seats get equal access to the vendors. No sense letting the market work and have them go where the sales and tips are. After all the dome was paid for with taxpayer dollars. Maybe some of the beer law proponents for TCF can sign up to count their steps to ensure compliance....

This makes no sense. There is ACCESS to beer at the dome for both the upper and lower decks. The law only states access or no access to alcohol for the entire TCF stadium. I don't care if the suites get free Guiness while I pay $7 for a Budweiser. It is access to beer for all or no one.

Seriously? You think that most of the people that agree with your general viewpoint (citizens and legislators pushing the bill) would be okay with the suite owners getting free beer while everyone else has to pay for it? Doubt it.

Why don't you fight for everyone else to have ACCESS to the better views, shelter from the rain, LCD TVs, and premium food whenever they want it while you're at it? Why is alcohol any different than these amenities?

Seriously? You think that most of the people that agree with your general viewpoint (citizens and legislators pushing the bill) would be okay with the suite owners getting free beer while everyone else has to pay for it? Doubt it.

Why don't you fight for everyone else to have ACCESS to the better views, shelter from the rain, LCD TVs, and premium food whenever they want it while you're at it? Why is alcohol any different than these amenities?

Because beer was available at the Dome. Seriously, if beer was never sold during Gopher games at the Dome I sincerely doubt this would be an issue.

Because beer was available at the Dome. Seriously, if beer was never sold during Gopher games at the Dome I sincerely doubt this would be an issue.

I agree with that, but it doesn't change the fact that their logic is flawed, they use straw man arguments, and fight for equality in one aspect and not others.

FTR, your posts concerning this matter have been level headed and well-stated.

I also think it's funny that there are 3 threads going on concerning this topic right now.

Top Bottom