Former Gopher, Arland Bruce, catching heat for TD celebration

BleedGopher

Reaction score
TORONTO -- The CFL isn't all that thrilled with Arland Bruce's tribute to Michael Jackson in the Toronto Argos win in Hamilton.

The league is reviewing the Toronto receiver's TD celebration after scoring in Wednesday night's 30-17 victory.

Following a TD pass from Kerry Joseph that put Toronto ahead 6-0, Bruce removed his helmet, shoulder pads and uniform top and laid down in the end zone. Bruce said he was honoring the memory of Michael Jackson by pretending to be buried.

Bruce received two objectionable conduct penalties.

"I made the mistake of telling him in camp that once he got to the end zone, I didn't care what he did," coach Bart Andrus said. "But he's straight with it now and I think next time around he will celebrate in an appropriate manner."

http://www.cbssports.com/general/story/11916617

Go Gophers!!

I liked Arland as a Gopher but....

Why buried? Why not Moonwalk or wear a McMahon style headband message or something? I'm not a Michael fan or anything but can easily see people being offended.

TSN's branding rip off of ESPN is the worst I have seen since "McDowell's" restaurant in "Coming to America"

TSN is partially owned by ESPN, which would explain the similarity.

TSN is partially owned by ESPN, which would explain the similarity.

lol I was about to say, they even have SC updates, I'm pretty sure it's pretty much ESPN Canada, they're not just "ripping off" of ESPN.

I probably should have realized that if for no other reason, it is so similar it probably wouldn't even be legal if they weren't connected.

Bruce said he was honoring the memory of Michael Jackson by pretending to be buried.

When I read this, the only similar thing I could think of was from Happy Gilmore. "I played junior hockey and still hold two league records: most time spent in the penalty box; and I was the only guy to ever take off his skate and try to stab somebody."

TSN's branding rip off of ESPN is the worst I have seen since "McDowell's" restaurant in "Coming to America"

Being surrounded by Canadians over here in Canada they talk of TSN all of the time. It is a good place to check hockey updates however.

TSN is partially owned by ESPN (20%) so the presentations are almost exactly the same (As someone else mentioned, it's pretty much ESPN Canada). For those that aren't aware Middlebrooks and Thelwell are currently in the CFL as well. Jermaine Mays just got cut last month.

TORONTO -- The CFL isn't all that thrilled with Arland Bruce's tribute to Michael Jackson in the Toronto Argos win in Hamilton.

The league is reviewing the Toronto receiver's TD celebration after scoring in Wednesday night's 30-17 victory.

Following a TD pass from Kerry Joseph that put Toronto ahead 6-0, Bruce removed his helmet, shoulder pads and uniform top and laid down in the end zone. Bruce said he was honoring the memory of Michael Jackson by pretending to be buried.

Bruce received two objectionable conduct penalties.

"I made the mistake of telling him in camp that once he got to the end zone, I didn't care what he did," coach Bart Andrus said. "But he's straight with it now and I think next time around he will celebrate in an appropriate manner."

http://www.cbssports.com/general/story/11916617

Go Gophers!!

I remember Bruce doing the exact same thing after catching the "tip heard round the world" against Penn State in 1999. That time it was a tribute to Joe Paterno.:cool03:

Maybe my memory is a little fuzzy...

Top Bottom