New Commit

Reaction score
Gopher Illustrated is reporting another new commit....Mark Lenkiewicz ....an offensive tackle I believe out of Illinois....welcome aboard !

ESPN gives him a grade of 75.

For comparison, Eggen is a 76 and Epping a 73.

Talk about the summer of the offensive line. Davis must be convincing fellow. I remember there being talk of as many as 5 OL offers coming in this cycle in an early February prognostication and we are definitely pushing that number. Add in SH and that will be quite the haul.

In all seriousness though, does anybody know how many scholarships we have open this cycle?

He's not real big, he's going to need to add some bulk. Hopefully he doesn't mind playing behind Seantrel.

Did they have him in camp???

Gopher Illustrated is reporting another new commit....Mark Lenkiewicz ....an offensive tackle I believe out of Illinois....welcome aboard !

ahhh so he must hail from the "lenkiewicz" branch of the "doug mankiewicz" family tree. another last name that i will never remember how to spell! ;)

Not impressed with our recent OL recruits. Not bad, but just run-of-the-mill guys who could have easily ended up at a place like Indiana. Not impressive offer lists for any of them. Maybe our dynamic OL coach can mold them into good players, but I am not sure we will even have him as part of the coaching staff after this year. We are not real good about keeping coaches/coordinators.

Yup, these guys are obviously all going to be busts. They have tiny frames, and our coaches have no idea how to identify talent.

With the kid's measureables he'll most likely be groomed for blocking TE or DE. Lacks the bulk for OL (240lbs), and he's looking at adding +50lbs if he wants to play on a Big Ten line. He's an easy fit for the outside.

For this stage in our program, tweeners are an ideal fit because they are big "potential" guys, usually rated lower (less competition for them), and their position assignments are highly flexible. I have no problem with the pickup. Guys like Lenkiewicz, with large frames and room to grow, are what give intermediate programs continuity and longevity along the lines.

I believe this guy went to camp and earned a schollie. If the staff saw him perform at camp and liked what they saw, I'm OK with that.

With the kid's measureables he'll most likely be groomed for blocking TE or DE. Lacks the bulk for OL (240lbs), and he's looking at adding +50lbs if he wants to play on a Big Ten line. He's an easy fit for the outside.

For this stage in our program, tweeners are an ideal fit because they are big "potential" guys, usually rated lower (less competition for them), and their position assignments are highly flexible. I have no problem with the pickup. Guys like Lenkiewicz, with large frames and room to grow, are what give intermediate programs continuity and longevity along the lines.

A high school senior needing to put on 50 pounds over the next 2-3 years (before he is looking at serious playing time) is not an issue, assuming he has the frame to support it. Jason Smith, the #2 pick in the draft this year went from a 225 pound recruit to 305 pounds by his final year.

A high school senior needing to put on 50 pounds over the next 2-3 years (before he is looking at serious playing time) is not an issue, assuming he has the frame to support it. Jason Smith, the #2 pick in the draft this year went from a 225 pound recruit to 305 pounds by his final year.

Actually I think the physical development of a player from HS to College is a normal consideration in college recruiting if I am not mistaken. That is why there are what appear to be undersized OL and DL recruits all the time.

Though I have to agree that it is hard to get excited about the last three. Maybe it is because we are starting to get a taste for higher quality recruits? To balance it out, a few years ago these guys would be top end recruits for MN.

Well, I think that Tim Davis, a guy who was the offensive line coach AT USC (FREAKING USC!!!) and in THE NFL!!, sees something in these guys. I'll take Tim's side on this one.

I think 6'5, 250 is ideal; shouldn't be concerned about the kid being tubby and having to change a bunch of bad eating habits. Get him to the University and under the eye of Hill (S&C coach) and the Nutritionist and it will be sure that the right kind of weight is put on.

Can someone tell me how many scholarships the Gophs will have for this next year?

He will probably weigh 280 at the end of his redshirt year and 300 by the end of his second year in the program. He has a good frame so adding 50 lbs is not a concern.

I think 6'5, 250 is ideal; shouldn't be concerned about the kid being tubby and having to change a bunch of bad eating habits. Get him to the University and under the eye of Hill (S&C coach) and the Nutritionist and it will be sure that the right kind of weight is put on.

Can someone tell me how many scholarships the Gophs will have for this next year?

we have 25 scholarships for next year......A LARGE NUMBER

i would expect about 2 more o-lineman, a couple of receivers and ABOUT 10 DEFENDERS

we are in great shape

i also believe lamonte edwards is going to play linebacker.......I LOVE THE DIRECTION WE ARE HEADED........of course some of the defensive help has to become good players also

So far

QB parrish 1
HB Kirkwood 2
FB
WR big soph class, keise/allen/carpenter from last year
TE we should add one or two I would think
T Gjere, Eggen, Lenkewitz 3 4 5
G/C Epping 6
DE we got KGM and Garin last year, Wilhite/Combs/Jacobs good young depth
DT Definitely need some here, Small and Brown are gone, Edwards has 3 more years, but maybe a spot for a JUCO
LB Good depth here with Skyline Boys/Maresh essentially for 4 more seasons, but could use depth/development types maybe take a flyer on a few freak athletes
CB Veazie, Lewis 7,8
S needs here especially after 2010
K Smith 9
ATH Edwards 10

So... maybe add some safeties, DE/DT, WR/TE, more ATHlete types,maybe one more OT;)

Goldteam, thank you!

I figured we had a lot of schollies available, hence the Brew's willingness to get some of these guys locked in. If a coach waits on the big-timers before offering some of these other guys and doesn't get the big guys, it can prove to be too late for the less-heralded guys. This is good...

I heard from a reliable source that OL Josh Campion will grey shirt as he had some back surgery. That should free up one LOA.

Who is to say these signings might not be better then advertised. Granted, I am not all that excited, but since Brew and Crew have been on the job, they always seem to be ahead of the game in regards to recruits. Maybe they snagged a couple before anyone really noticed them.

Well, I think that Tim Davis, a guy who was the offensive line coach AT USC (FREAKING USC!!!) and in THE NFL!!, sees something in these guys. I'll take Tim's side on this one.

a-freakin-men

Top Bottom