NY Times Gopher Preview (Gopherhole gets some love)

Reaction score
I think #63 is low, but at least it's up from #101. And we came in #2 for top five NFL alumni.

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/30/the-quad-countdown-no-63-minnesota/

"Where do Minnesota fans congregate: For the second year straight, we start with GopherHole.com, the hardest-working Minnesota fan site on the Web. I’ll add GoldenSports.net and GopherIllustrated.com for a pair of recruiting Web sites. If you like blogs, check out The Daily Gopher."

Thanks for the link Dinkytowner.

That is quite the complement from the NY Times on GopherHole two years in a row! It's great that all of the Gopher sites are recognized and it's clear that Gopher sports is increasing in popularity which is the #1 goal for all of us!

thats a well done preview. good research. i think we'll finish somewhere in the middle around 7-8 wins. good pub for gopherHole and well deserved.

Two things:

1. That preview is surprisingly good. We're just so close to the team and every detail, I'm very impressed when a national publication can do a preview that good.

2. Yeah for GH! :clap:

Where do Minnesota fans congregate: For the second year straight, we start with GopherHole.com, the hardest-working Minnesota fan site on the Web.

How come no one ever told us about the 1st year? Haha!

thats a well done preview. good research. i think we'll finish somewhere in the middle around 7-8 wins. good pub for gopherHole and well deserved.

well, not sure how much credence i want to give their research since even their simple math is suspect. i mean after all they did say in the article: "After spending the last 17 years at the Metrodome, sharing that arena with the Minnesota Vikings and the Twins, the Golden Gophers will move into a new, on-campus facility, TCF Bank Stadium, in 2009."

17 years? try 27 years NYT (1982-2009). unless it is really only 1999?? and in that case i can only say: "oh crap! i need to get ready for Y2K!" ;)

The Gophers did spend the last 17 years at the Metrodome. It just happens that the Gophers also spent 10 years before that in the Metrodome, so it's technically accurate.

This part is a bit of a problem: "There aren’t many breaks on this schedule, other than the home date with South Dakota State and the home opener at Syracuse." What a bold move, to have the home opener on the road.

Impressive

I'm very impressed with the info contained in this preview. It's not often you get this kind of depth from a national source. Well worth reading!

I'm very impressed with the info contained in this preview. It's not often you get this kind of depth from a national source. Well worth reading!

true. although i am not sure how much credit you want to give them. i feel like i have read 90% of that stuff and many of the other team's previews elsewhere on the internet already. a bunch of copying and pasting for each team i would think.

true. although i am not sure how much credit you want to give them. i feel like i have read 90% of that stuff and many of the other team's previews elsewhere on the internet already. a bunch of copying and pasting for each team i would think.

I thought, all things considered, it was a decent preview. It had a few errors, and it may have been largely pirated as you've theorized, but considering it's an outlet like the New York Times, I'm surprised the preview had as much information as it did.

One other thing I thought was strange -

it says 16 returning starters (9 off, 7 def)

- and then right below that says Simmons is the only graduating offensive starter, while VDS, Hightower and Brock are the only defensive starters not returning.

It should've said 18 (10, 8). I think VDS and Brock are the only ones we'll miss (fingers crossed that Brock returns by some miracle).

also this little nug:

"Two more 2008 starters must be replaced: the weakside linebacker Deon Hightower and the safety Tramaine Brock. As seniors, the pair finished third (Brock, 73) and fourth (Hightower, 67) on the team in tackles."

i know that hightower was a senior, but i was under the impression that brock was a junior :rolleyes: . oh well, i guess i would rather have the readers of this NYT blog believing that brock graduated rather than knowing that he flamed out.

There are a few mistakes but overall its a well done preview and impressive that they Times dedicates that much content to each team, even if its just online.

Top Bottom