13 year old commits to Tennessee

It kind of seems like this kid is being recruited on his pedigree/genetics and not on what he can actually do. I'll eat my words if I'm wrong, you know, four or five years down the road when he's actually a high school senior.

This is beyond ridiculous.

The first thing I thought when I saw the headline on SI.com last night was that football is the last sport that should be recruited this far out. In virtually any other sport, you can at least have a good idea of what the kid's ceiling is going to be when they're entering high school. So much can change over the next 3-4 years in terms of his football ability that they have no way of knowing whether he'll be the next Ronnie Lott or the next Rudy Ruettiger.
While they say that Tennessee hasn't commented on it, there has to have been some reciprocal interest or this wouldn't have been publicized. This is a symptom of Kiffin hoping he will be as good as his older brother. You can safely assume that an offer will not be extended if he proceeds to suck.

While this is just plain wrong...

Remember that The "U" hockey team had two different players commit at crazily early ages, and only one of them ever actually made it to the program. Just think off all the things that could change between now and then, Kiffin could get fired, (though in fairness, the kid sounded more like a legacy commit, then because of Kiffin.) the program could get NCAA plenties, Or Georgia could buy him that car he always wanted. Who knows. I think it's stupid to to take this seriously, The "U" had its really early legacy commit back out already, so only time will tell. The way that these kids take committments so lightly now has rendered them just about meaningless anways.

A kid can commit

Tennesee football under Kiffin is becoming a bad joke. the NCAA needs to step in and put a limit on when kids can comit.

But they can't get offered until after their sophomore year. And most programs don't offer until after the Jr. season.

Chris Leak was offered a scholarship by Wake Forest when he was in the 8th grade...

When Kiffin was at USC he also offered Matt Barkley a scholarship in 9th grade and it worked out pretty well for USC as he is there now and competing for the starting job as a true freshman.

Top Bottom