Summertime Quiz - Super Scorers

MillionMoves

Reaction score
Among Big Ten schools, which one has the most players (historically) that have scored 50 or more points in an NBA game?

Hint: The number is 4 different players. 5 of the 11 Big Ten schools have never had a single player reach 50 in an NBA game.

I know we have had at least three score 50+ as Sweet Lou Hudson, McHale and Willie all scored 50+ at least once in their NBA career. I can't remember if we've had anyone else reach that total.

Go Gophers!!

Ohio State-Jimmy Jackson, Micheal Redd, Havlicek and Jerry Lucas.

Not too sure on that last one.

Upon further study it wasn't Lucas...it was Neil Johnston. So Jackson, Redd, Hondo and Neil Johnston

How many points did Breuer reach in that out of the blue explosion for the T-Wolves? Was it 43? I didn't realize Burton eclipsed 50 points in an NBA game.

How many points did Breuer reach in that out of the blue explosion for the T-Wolves? Was it 43? I didn't realize Burton eclipsed 50 points in an NBA game.

You are right , Breuer came very close. Burton did it while he was with the 76ers in a year where he averaged very few points a game.

How many points did Breuer reach in that out of the blue explosion for the T-Wolves? Was it 43?

Randy Breuer scored 40 points for the Wolves against the Warriors in 1990. Just 2 days before that game, former-Buckeye Tony Campbell scored 44 for the Wolves against the Celtics. This was during the first season of the Timberwolves, coached by ex-Gopher coach Bill Musselman.

I think former Gopher Ray Williams had a 50-point night years ago.

However, I'm not use Sweet Lou ever broke 50.

Here's some of the others:

Purdue-Joe Barry Carroll

Michigan-Glenn Rice, Chris Webber

Iowa-"Downtown" Freddie Brown

Illinois-Nick Anderson

Answer

Hondo scored 54 against the Hawks in the 73 Playoffs.

Sorry, I didn't realize my source did not include playoff games. So my question should have been for regular season games only.

Anyhow, the Gophers led with 4 different players and here is the complete list, again for regular season games only:

Illinois - Nick Anderson (50)

Indiana - none (best was Walt Bellamy and Mike Woodson at 48)

Iowa - Freddie Brown (58)

Michigan - Glen Rice (56), Jamal Crawford (52), Chris Webber (51)

Michigan State - none (best was Magic Johnson at 46)

Northwestern - none

Minnesota - Lou Hudson (57), Kevin McHale (56), Willie Burton (53), Ray Williams (52)

Ohio State - Michael Redd (57), Neil Johnston (50), Jim Jackson (50)

Purdue - Joe Barry Carroll (52)

Penn State - none

Wisconsin - none

My source: The Association for Professional Basketball Research

Some names I'm surprised that aren't on this list:

Glenn Robinson
Isiah Thomas
Steve Smith

You'd have thought Big Dog would be a certainty on this list, the way he liked to jack up shots.

I was going to but down Crawford but for some reason I had convinced myself he played for Iowa State. I also believe that Brown scored 50 twice as did Mike Redd.

Top Bottom