At least Carl Henry is honest...

The Truth

Reaction score
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1293180.html

Yet, while freshmen Thomas Robinson and Elijah Johnson are already on campus attending classes like most others around the country, the Henrys remain here. Carl says he encouraged Xavier to attend summer school.

“He doesn’t wanna go,” Carl says. “I said, ‘Well, you call Coach Self and tell him you don’t want to come.’ ”

Xavier says it’s nothing personal. He had to get his braces off and recently had root canals done on his front two teeth. Carl says it’s more that Xavier is not interested in attending class.

“If he didn’t have to go to college, he wouldn’t do it,” Carl says.

A month after signing with the Jayhawks, Carl says, the family looked into Xavier playing in Europe

That quote wasn't even the most shocking or outrageous claim in the article by Carl Henry. It's a fun read though.

No one is trying to go to college with braces, no one.

If he had ended up going to Kentucky like all of you assumed he was going to do, and his dad used this line about his not wanting to go to summer school: "You call Coach Cal and tell him."

THEN:

1) Would you have posted the article here?
2) What would your reaction be? C'mon, we want the truth from The Truth:)

I mean let's face it - Cal was not only in bed with this "outrageous" and "shocking" player and his family, but you all were pulling for him to don Kentucky blue! I find it a bit disingenuous of you to now go on any message board and call the kid out. You Kentucky folks were going nuts that this kid would follow your beloved Cal to Kentucky and you were already hanging the banners. But, he opts for Kansas and now you think he's "outrageous" and "shocking", etc. I kind of doubt that would be your reaction had he become a Wildcat.

Thanks for the link, The Truth. . .stories like this make you understand why college coaches look to the NBA. My favorite quote in the article is how Carl Henry expects oldest son C.J. to be a one-and-doner and that Sherron Collins has nothing on his oldest son.

If he had ended up going to Kentucky like all of you assumed he was going to do, and his dad used this line about his not wanting to go to summer school: "You call Coach Cal and tell him."

THEN:

1) Would you have posted the article here?
2) What would your reaction be? C'mon, we want the truth from The Truth:)

I mean let's face it - Cal was not only in bed with this "outrageous" and "shocking" player and his family, but you all were pulling for him to don Kentucky blue! I find it a bit disingenuous of you to now go on any message board and call the kid out. You Kentucky folks were going nuts that this kid would follow your beloved Cal to Kentucky and you were already hanging the banners. But, he opts for Kansas and now you think he's "outrageous" and "shocking", etc. I kind of doubt that would be your reaction had he become a Wildcat.

I don't want this thread to devolve into a Kentucky one so I'll just say this: I don't like overbearing parents. I've coached youth basketball since I was in high school in everything from church leagues to AAU and I've had to deal with my fair share of "Sports Dad" and it can be a real pain in the ass. I had a team two years ago in a junior pro league where a parent had to be removed physically from the gym because he walked out onto the court during a timeout and threatened an offical just because his kid was being whistled for obvious fouls. The age of the children in question? 7. I've seen a fight break out between a coach and parents over playing time, I've seen a coach be "removed" from a team because he was playing all his kids regardless of ability and they weren't winning enough and I've seen other things that would make your head spin. And this stuff was happening with kids under the age of 10!

My dad coached us one year in Little League Baseball. He wanted all the kids to learn to play the game, have fun and the wins/losses didn't really matter. After we had lost a couple of games in a row the parents on the team actually cornered my father and the other coaches after a practice, surrounded them in a circle and berated them for being "losers" and not letting the best kids play more while threatening to have them "fired". My dad never coached again after that season.

Thanks for the link, The Truth. . .stories like this make you understand why college coaches look to the NBA. My favorite quote in the article is how Carl Henry expects oldest son C.J. to be a one-and-doner and that Sherron Collins has nothing on his oldest son.

It's nice to have confidence in your children's ability but keep that kind of stuff to yourself. Nothing good will come of it by airing these kind of sentiments publically.

I don't like overbearing parents. I've coached youth basketball since I was in high school in everything from church leagues to AAU and I've had to deal with my fair share of "Sports Dad" and it can be a real pain in the ass. I had a team two years ago in a junior pro league where a parent had to be removed physically from the gym because he walked out onto the court during a timeout and threatened an offical just because his kid was being whistled for obvious fouls. The age of the children in question? 7. I've seen a fight break out between a coach and parents over playing time, I've seen a coach be "removed" from a team because he was playing all his kids regardless of ability and they weren't winning enough and I've seen other things that would make your head spin. And this stuff was happening with kids under the age of 10!

My dad coached us one year in Little League Baseball. He wanted all the kids to learn to play the game, have fun and the wins/losses didn't really matter. After we had lost a couple of games in a row the parents on the team actually cornered my father and the other coaches after a practice, surrounded them in a circle and berated them for being "losers" and not letting the best kids play more while threatening to have them "fired". My dad never coached again after that season.

I agree with everything you've said there. No doubt, coaching youth sports is a thankless job. Dealing with parents - not the kids - is the worst part of it.

I don't want this thread to devolve into a Kentucky one.

That wasn't my intent. I was just curious what your take would be had this kid gone to Kentucky like so many Wildcat fans had hoped. Laying low on the answer is fine. No big deal.

My response TJ would be the same: Shut up Carl, let your kid enjoy his experience, be a part of the team/program and let the chips fall where they may.

Sadly, this is the price you pay with these uber-talented kids sometimes. I just read an article in our local paper about "helicopter parenting" and how it's even extending to post-graduation with parents butting into salary negotiations. I don't think this stuff is confined just to the sporting world these days. Parents (and I'm probably guilty of it from time to time) are projecting onto their children their own desires, whims and even failures instead of letting children learn to overcome mistakes and be their own people.

I worked for a man when I was an undergrad, a successful man who had come to this country from Vietnam during the early 60's with literally only the clothes on his back, and built a solid business from the ground up. We got into a discussion on children (I being a new parent and he having raised six children of his own) and he crowed on and on about how all his children were Doctors and Engineers now. I asked him what if his children had wanted to be police officers or artists? He looked at me like I was insane and said "You force your children to be successful. Doctors, professionals..nothing else. I knew better what was good for my children, not them". Maybe it was a cultural thing but I never thought that was the way to raise a kid; by forcing your dreams upon them instead of finding their own.

This is getting crazy

http://theshiver.com/2009/06/carl-henry-clears-the-airpart-1/

“All of that is false,” Carl Henry said about the article in the Kansas City Star. “I had a friend of mine in Kansas City read me a lot of what was printed and it’s false,” Henry added.

The article didn’t only bother Carl, but it also bothered his sons, Xavier and CJ. Their frustration about what they deem to be misquotes and untruths has really started to really get to both Henry brothers.

“It’s almost like they don’t want us up there, and right now, my kids don’t want to go because of that article,” Henry said.

Seems that a man who played at Kansas and had a brief pro career would understand that the press often misconstrues things, takes things out of context, and one has to be careful when speaking with them. The more elder Henry talks, the more skeptical I become. He certainly positioned himself in the two-part article as keeping everything together for his kids to arrive in Lawrence-seems he's more interested in his self-image than that of his sons.

One would think that Henry's kids would be looking forward to getting to Kansas if Dad would keep his mouth shut. Here's some of the comments in the Kansas City Star article, plus the comments from the Shiver interview where Carl Henry speaks on his sons' behalfs. I certainly wouldn't want my father saying these things as representative of me:

“He doesn’t wanna go,” Carl says. “I said, ‘Well, you call Coach Self and tell him you don’t want to come.’ ”

“If he didn’t have to go to college, he wouldn’t do it,” Carl says.

“I don’t like stepping on people’s toes,” Carl says, “but I just know what I know. I watch them play, all the Kansas kids. I like all these kids, (Sherron) Collins, (Tyshawn Taylor), they’re good kids, man. But they’re not better than C.J.”

“Everybody’s gotta be on board,” Carl says. “The coach has got to be on board.”

“It’s almost like they don’t want us up there, and right now, my kids don’t want to go because of that article,” Henry said.

“I tell you the truth about it. His mother (Barbara Henry) said she wasn’t moving to Kentucky,” Henry said. ”Xavier then decided to keep the family together and head to Kansas, where I was telling him to go. I played at Kansas, I know Kansas, and that is where I wanted them to go,” Henry added.

“Xavier has a lot of dental stuff going on too, which would have caused him to drive back and forth, and back and forth. He is having 4 wisdom team pulled, a root canal, and some other stuff,” Henry said. “If Coach Self told him it was mandatory, he would have been there. Now if it were me, I would have gone myself. Now we got radio stations down here calling Xavier a prima-donna and what not and they have never even met him,” Henry added.

“Barbara told Xavier she wasn’t moving to Kentucky, so Xavier chose Kansas to keep the family together and to keep everyone happy. She then told him that he can go where he wants to after all this stuff started coming out and she was upset. Xavier thought about switching to Kentucky then, and CJ would have followed, but I kept this Kansas thing together,” Henry said. “I told them that after going on television and saying that you wanted to be with your family and everything, that they need to go to Kansas. Plus they could win the national title and are ranked number 1 already,” added Henry.

“We are going out to L.A. in August, like the 2nd-9th, to work out with a lot of pros out there. Paul Pierce, Derrick Rose, Sheldon Williams, and Tyreke Evans. I know a lot of those guys from my days andwe think it will be great for them to work out with those guys,” said Henry.

He spends the first part of the article giving an explanation on why his kids wouldn't/shouldn't go to Kansas and the second part on why Kansas is such a great fit for his children.

Carl really needs to give it a rest at this point. His children made a decision and they should stick with it. Maybe the decision wasn't the one they really wanted in the first place (and a lot of people were saying this weeks ago. There was a poster on a Kentucky site who laid out every single thing Henry has said to both the KC Star and to Shivers weeks ago and Carl Henry felt he needed to issue a statement to "deny" them and that he'd never heard of the guy) but they gave a commitment and should honor it.

I don't know if Carl likes just to see his name in the papers but the fact that he's giving interviews and statments through the press is kind of sour to me. Your children have to grow up some time Mr. Henry.

At this point all schools should send a message

and not give these kids squat if they leave KU.

Good lesson for them and Daddy to learn to be honest. Welcome to the real world Henry boys

Top Bottom