Air Force's Calhoun = Fiesty

Rescooter

Section 243
Reaction score
Air Force doesn't get much press, but Troy Calhoun comparing the BCS system to the former Soviet Union is classic. I'm not weighing in on whether he's right or wrong, but I respect his fiestiness.

http://www.thewizofodds.com/the_wiz_of_odds/2009/06/air-forces-calhoun-unloads-on-bcs.html#more

Air Force's Calhoun Unloads on BCS

A day after the Bowl Championship Series Presidential Oversight Committee slammed the door on the Mountain West Conference's plan for an eight-team playoff, Air Force coach Troy Calhoun ripped the system designed to exclude non-BCS teams from lucrative top-tier bowl games.

"We basically have a system for college football that too closely resembles the old Soviet Presidium," Calhoun said, referring to the policymaking and governing body of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union.

"You have a seven-member politburo that's decided if you aren't one of those party members, then you're unable to participate."

Calhoun was just getting started.

"I thought there was a proposal that was put in place that was extremely fair," he said. "It was very reasonable, and it made you earn access.

"You think back to the old Soviet Presidium, and what happened was you told every person, 'Hey, you aren't going to be able to grow a whole lot. We're going to tell you all you can earn.' That was the approach. ... There's a very, very strong resemblance that unfortunately is a part of college football."

Colorado State coach Steve Fairchild join Calhoun in criticizing the BCS.

"Utah, in my mind, was the best team in the country last year," he said. "What they did to Alabama right after Florida struggled with them says it all. And I'm not sure if you play our league over again last year if TCU doesn't win our league. So we've got some extremely talented football teams. It almost seems like a lawsuit in terms of trying to hold revenue back from certain conferences."

Members of the 'Buro, I immediately nominate товарищ Minnesota for immediate consideration as Chairman of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet.

Mtattoo1.jpg

Top Bottom