Why they will never sell alcohol in Gen Adm

Reaction score
I love beer and would love to have the ability to buy beer in my general admission seats. However, here are my 3 reasons they will never let it happen.
1. Channel 9 will have 20 year olds with hidden cameras trying to buy beers within the first 4 games. It will run during sweeps and be promoted non-stop. Plenty of self righteous speeches about public financing of sports stadiums and the evils of under age drinking. They will interview some upset mother about her tuition dollars and taxes going to providing alcohol to her freshman at the U. Chances of this are 100 percent.
2. Some 19 year old will drink too much before the game, find some way to get served at the stadium, and then go home and continue to drink. He then wraps his car around a tree or ends up in the hospital and blames the U for serving him at the game. Chances of this are slim, but the liability is too great for a University to be sued for getting it's students drunk.
3. I wouldn't have thought this was possible until last years Iowa game. Instead of a 26 year old pig farmer having sex with a 35 year old housewife from Des Moines who doesn't remember any of it...this time it is a couple of 19 year old freshman who got their hands on alcohol in the stadium. They have sex in the bathroom, she doesn't remember any of it. They blame the university. Channel 9's news directors have a simultaneous orgasm with all the stories they plan.

Once again, I would love to have beer at the stadium, and I don't think the problem is selling alcohol to 38 year old fans in general admission. The problem is students. It's o.k. for the Metrodome to provide alcohol to students. It's understood that students are drinking before and after the games. However, a University can not accept the liability for selling alcohol to it's students. The legal liabilities are high, but the public relations hit they could take would be enormous.
That was my two cents.

To me, it's this simple: NO OTHER Big Ten school sells beer to the general public at their on campus stadium. No one. Not one. Nobody.

Every school in every Big Ten state, public and private, rich and poor, urban and small city, agrees that selling beer in a campus stadium is a bad idea and that it should not be done. There is no reason for us to be the only school not smart enough to realize this.

If only our legislators could understand something this simple. It's amazing how dumb our representatives (and the people that elect them) can be.

Oh, Please!!!!! let the beautiful people have there beer. They can"t enjoy a Saturday afternoon in the sun, with a beautiful new stadium watching there farvorite team and mingling with there friends without it. Can"t you see this. Why can"t you see this. I"m a people person. What are you some kind of idiot. I have people skills! Why can"t you see this! Please people get over it. Go enjoy a fall afternoon and watch the MAROON and GOLD.

Yew, you are hilarious (maybe sarcasm? can't tell). I can certainly enjoy all of the above, however, I see no reason why I should pay $1000 more than you for that priviledge.

Think about it in terms of economics

So why is everyone complaining about NOT being able to go and spend $6.50 for a cup of beer? Why not just get to the stadium 40min early and go hit up any of the local bars/restaurants that are within 5min walking distance. In a sense the U is doing you a favor so you don't feel compelled to spend way too much money for way now enough alcohol. Just reinvest your extra money in the surrounding restaurants.

Since when did paying $6.50 for a cup of beer become a "privilege"?

I love beer and would love to have the ability to buy beer in my general admission seats. However, here are my 3 reasons they will never let it happen.
1. Channel 9 will have 20 year olds with hidden cameras trying to buy beers within the first 4 games. It will run during sweeps and be promoted non-stop. Plenty of self righteous speeches about public financing of sports stadiums and the evils of under age drinking. They will interview some upset mother about her tuition dollars and taxes going to providing alcohol to her freshman at the U. Chances of this are 100 percent.
2. Some 19 year old will drink too much before the game, find some way to get served at the stadium, and then go home and continue to drink. He then wraps his car around a tree or ends up in the hospital and blames the U for serving him at the game. Chances of this are slim, but the liability is too great for a University to be sued for getting it's students drunk.
3. I wouldn't have thought this was possible until last years Iowa game. Instead of a 26 year old pig farmer having sex with a 35 year old housewife from Des Moines who doesn't remember any of it...this time it is a couple of 19 year old freshman who got their hands on alcohol in the stadium. They have sex in the bathroom, she doesn't remember any of it. They blame the university. Channel 9's news directors have a simultaneous orgasm with all the stories they plan.

Once again, I would love to have beer at the stadium, and I don't think the problem is selling alcohol to 38 year old fans in general admission. The problem is students. It's o.k. for the Metrodome to provide alcohol to students. It's understood that students are drinking before and after the games. However, a University can not accept the liability for selling alcohol to it's students. The legal liabilities are high, but the public relations hit they could take would be enormous.
That was my two cents.

To reply to your reasons why beer won't be sold:
1) While I don't doubt ch #9 would pull this, there are underage kids drinking at every Twins, Wild, and Viking games so the Gophers would be no different.
2) There have been many times people have gotten DWIs and had accidents leaving the dome from sporting events. The Wild and the X have even been sued for overserving. Insurance covers this liability.
3) You argue that the problem will be student drinking but the 26 year olds from Iowa are obviously not students. The students have had access to beer at the dome and there have been no major problems with their drinking so why now in TCF?
If the U wants to be different from the Pro environment, that is their choice but don't blame the possible future student behavior as the reason beer can't be sold in GA.

1) While I don't doubt ch #9 would pull this, there are underage kids drinking at every Twins, Wild, and Viking games so the Gophers would be no different.

The Gophers no different? Really? I was unaware that the Twins, Wild, and Vikings had universities whose main purpose is to educate students, not serve them beer. Huh. I guess you learn something new every day.

2) There have been many times people have gotten DWIs and had accidents leaving the dome from sporting events. The Wild and the X have even been sued for overserving. Insurance covers this liability.

For the millionth time, TCF will be a unique situation as compared to the Metrodome, the X, Target Center, etc., etc. It is an incredibly unwise decision to have a university be put in a situation where it will almost certainly serve its own underage students beer. If I have to explain why, there is no point in arguing with you, because you are incredibly dense. It has little to do with liability and much more to do with public relations.

3) You argue that the problem will be student drinking but the 26 year olds from Iowa are obviously not students. The students have had access to beer at the dome and there have been no major problems with their drinking so why now in TCF?
If the U wants to be different from the Pro environment, that is their choice but don't blame the possible future student behavior as the reason beer can't be sold in GA.

Huh? In fact, this is the sole and entire reason beer can't be sold in GA. What else would there be? Do you think the U is worried about serving beer to 26 year old Iowegians?

The Gophers no different? Really? I was unaware that the Twins, Wild, and Vikings had universities whose main purpose is to educate students, not serve them beer. Huh. I guess you learn something new every day.

For the millionth time, TCF will be a unique situation as compared to the Metrodome, the X, Target Center, etc., etc. It is an incredibly unwise decision to have a university be put in a situation where it will almost certainly serve its own underage students beer. If I have to explain why, there is no point in arguing with you, because you are incredibly dense. It has little to do with liability and much more to do with public relations.

Huh? In fact, this is the sole and entire reason beer can't be sold in GA. What else would there be? Do you think the U is worried about serving beer to 26 year old Iowegians?

i would have to say you won this debate with a resounding, backhanded "bitch slap" to the face! ;)

The problem is people are putting the U in the wrong category. Here's how I see it...

No one would expect SCSU, MSU, Winona State, UMD, etc. to serve beer at their football games on campus. They are public, tax supported entities playing NCAA football. The U is the same thing. These blowhards can't seem to figure out that Gopher sports are not pro sports, they are college sports.

What's next...beer at high school games? Why not...they are taxpayer supported too. I mean, come on, if I pay taxes to support my local high school, pay for the stadium, and pay activity fees for my kid to play, I should be allowed to buy beer at a high school game, right?!? I mean I can buy beer at the Vikings so I should be able to at my high school too. If you tell me no you're just being unfair to us peasants.

We should just dump our football program all together! Football games bring Tailgating, which is just an excuse for college kids to drink. So in my mind if we cut football, all those underage students will be in the library working on their degrees rather then wasting their time getting wasted at a football game...

How about we develop a little personal responsibility? No one forces underaged drinking, if a 18-20 year old wants to get drunk they will, whether they are buying beer from tcf bank or their buddy down the block!

How about we develop a little personal responsibility? No one forces underaged drinking, if a 18-20 year old wants to get drunk they will, whether they are buying beer from tcf bank or their buddy down the block!

IT. IS. NOT. ABOUT. UNDERAGED. DRINKING. IT. IS. ABOUT. THE. SOURCE. OF. THE. ALCOHOL. THE. UNDERAGED. KIDS. DRINK.

IT. IS. NOT. ABOUT. UNDERAGED. DRINKING. IT. IS. ABOUT. THE. SOURCE. OF. THE. ALCOHOL. THE. UNDERAGED. KIDS. DRINK.

AGREED. WITH. A. BEER. GARDEN. AT. GOPHER. STADIUM. FOR. THE. NON-PREMIUM. SEATS. NO. UNDERAGED. KIDS. CAN. DRINK. ALCOHOL.

The U has never served alcohol in its own facilities to anything but the luxury boxes. The only reason it was served at the Metrodome was that the U did not control it. If we would have never moved to the Metrodome in the first place, this never would have been an issue.

The people who demand the right to have beer in the general seating just because they had it at the Metrodome are asking the U to have alcohol policies different than the great majority of colleges.

Top Bottom