Impact of dry of arenas/stadium

mnboiler

Resident Purdue Expert
Reaction score
I had a little time tonight to sit down and cruch some numbers on what the new boozeless sporting events will have on the bottom line of the Gopher Athletic Departments balance sheet.

I have rough numbers from the internet on the number of seats in club/suites/lodge. I believe they are pretty accurate but if anyone has precise numbers of seats please say so.

I used $5 as a profit per drink level if any one thinks this is low or high again it is adjustable. I used 2 drinks per person per game too start with adjustable.

For the number of games I justed used the count from last year. So 7 football 21 basketball 22 hockey. If these are unuselly high or low let me know.

Anyway in what I think is a pretty good model I figured the U lost out on $390845 in potenial income.

In a very conserative model I came up with $87787.50, which is still a nice chunk of change.

In a very liberal model I came up with $802161.75.

If anyone has adjustments or certain data you want run I will simply just plug in the data.

I had a little time tonight to sit down and cruch some numbers on what the new boozeless sporting events will have on the bottom line of the Gopher Athletic Departments balance sheet.

I have rough numbers from the internet on the number of seats in club/suites/lodge. I believe they are pretty accurate but if anyone has precise numbers of seats please say so.

I used $5 as a profit per drink level if any one thinks this is low or high again it is adjustable. I used 2 drinks per person per game too start with adjustable.

For the number of games I justed used the count from last year. So 7 football 21 basketball 22 hockey. If these are unuselly high or low let me know.

Anyway in what I think is a pretty good model I figured the U lost out on $390845 in potenial income.

In a very conserative model I came up with $87787.50, which is still a nice chunk of change.

In a very liberal model I came up with $802161.75.

If anyone has adjustments or certain data you want run I will simply just plug in the data.

i heard that rep. pat garofolo (sp) is already putting a bill together for next session that would reverse this new liquor law that was put in place to punish the U of M. is going to tie it to a bill dealing with scholarship funding for returning/injured military vets, i believe.

this tells us what most of us already know - i.e. that the wheels are already turning by those in power in regards to getting this lame ass anti-U of M law thrown out as soon as realistically possible.

A couple points.

1) The U of M was never charging for beer at Williams Arena or Mariucci. The premium seating areas received it as a perk at no additional charge. There was a little fridge in each suite that was fully stocked with beer. Also, they have pre-game dinners in a lounge (I'm assuming it is for donors but I'm not sure) that served beer from kegs at no charge to seat holders. The perk may impact what you can charge for premium seating or what donors give but it can't be accounted for on a dollar for dollar with drinks.

2) I don't have exact numbers but $5 profit/beer is too high.

I like the thought process though.

I could have misunderstood ...

i heard that rep. pat garofolo (sp) is already putting a bill together for next session that would reverse this new liquor law that was put in place to punish the U of M. is going to tie it to a bill dealing with scholarship funding for returning/injured military vets, i believe.

this tells us what most of us already know - i.e. that the wheels are already turning by those in power in regards to getting this lame ass anti-U of M law thrown out as soon as realistically possible.

but I saw Garofalo last night on KARE at 10:00 and I thought he said his bill would force the U to sell throughout the stadium and the proceeds would go to a scholarship fund for vets (or some such). Hopefully, I got this wrong. Anybody else see the "interview"?

but I saw Garofalo last night on KARE at 10:00 and I thought he said his bill would force the U to sell throughout the stadium and the proceeds would go to a scholarship fund for vets (or some such). Hopefully, I got this wrong. Anybody else see the "interview"?

Wow, I truly hope that is wrong.

A couple points.

1) The U of M was never charging for beer at Williams Arena or Mariucci. The premium seating areas received it as a perk at no additional charge. There was a little fridge in each suite that was fully stocked with beer.

I don't think that's right. The one time in my life that I sat at a Barn Loft the guy hosting me told me that his company pays the U to have the fridge stocked. Some people choose not to have booze in their lofts and thus are not charged for it. I have no idea what the charge is to stock the fridge and if it is a profitable thing for the U or if they are just getting their money back on the alcohol. He also told me there are different levels of food service that they get to choose from. Sometimes it is as simple as chips and salsa, other times they will buy the service that includes chicken fingers and fries or sub sandwiches and other stuff. Now, this was 3-4 years ago, so maybe something has changed since.

I don't have exact numbers but $5 profit/beer is too high.

Agree, $5 profit per drink is too high of an estimate.

i did not see that in the interview. unfortunately, i only saw a quick snippit about it, but don't recall hearing anything about his particular version of a bill still requiring sales throughout the stadium. hopefully whatever he/they might try to propose allows to U to go back to what they had told the legislature they were going to do over 3 years ago and does not require a bunch of lame-ass concessions on the U's part. it is only fair.

then again it is not like rep. garofalo is the only one who can try to introduce strategic legislation to get this reversed, so i guess we will just have to wait and see.

I don't think that's right. The one time in my life that I sat at a Barn Loft the guy hosting me told me that his company pays the U to have the fridge stocked. Some people choose not to have booze in their lofts and thus are not charged for it. I have no idea what the charge is to stock the fridge and if it is a profitable thing for the U or if they are just getting their money back on the alcohol. He also told me there are different levels of food service that they get to choose from. Sometimes it is as simple as chips and salsa, other times they will buy the service that includes chicken fingers and fries or sub sandwiches and other stuff. Now, this was 3-4 years ago, so maybe something has changed since.

That may be the case. I wasn't the one paying in the barn lofts so it may not have been included in the loft price but more like the way a hotel charges you for beverages in your room (by counting after you leave). Others on the board have said that they give it away in Williams & Mariucci so I may have made the mistake of believing they knew what they were talking about.

i did not see that in the interview. unfortunately, i only saw a quick snippit about it, but don't recall hearing anything about his particular version of a bill still requiring sales throughout the stadium. hopefully whatever he/they might try to propose allows to U to go back to what they had told the legislature they were going to do over 3 years ago and does not require a bunch of lame-ass concessions on the U's part. it is only fair.

then again it is not like rep. garofalo is the only one who can try to introduce strategic legislation to get this reversed, so i guess we will just have to wait and see.

Sort of begs the question but here is another snippet from KARE:

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=818268&catid=2

I believe he means to force sale throughout the stadium (just what we need the wienies at the Capital micro-managing the U's athletic program).

Rep. Patrick Garofalo = F'ing tool bag

Sort of begs the question but here is another snippet from KARE:

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=818268&catid=2

I believe he means to force sale throughout the stadium (just what we need the wienies at the Capital micro-managing the U's athletic program).

yeah, apparently i only caught a really small snippet of what his plan was last night! i guess i can only say that rep. pat garofalo can lick my sack! wouldn't surprise me if he is planning on running for governor now that pawlenty is stepping down and he thinks this little stunt is a "cute" way to get his name in the press and recognition form the public. what a whore! who do some of these lame ass politicians think they are. they completely and often intentionally mis-interpret why the U of M is going about this issue the way they are.

also, the media is starting to piss me off when it comes to this subject. they often play this stupid little game whenever they report on this where they only give the viewer select pieces of information and often don't mention the fact that alcohol in premium seating only is how 90% of the rest of the big ten does it and that NO OTHER BIG TEN SCHOOL sells alcohol in their general admission seating and why should the U of M go against that policy. you would think that fact would be something that should be mentioned in every article and TV story about this topic, yet you don't even hear it mentioned in half the stuff you see put out there, which is ridiculous.

what in the F is wrong with the people trying to force this b.s. down the U of M's throats? it is pathetic, pathetic pandering and these folks seem to have no shame about it.

I saw the interview and that's exactly what he said.

also, the media is starting to piss me off when it comes to this subject. they often play this stupid little game whenever they report on this where they only give the viewer select pieces of information and often don't mention the fact that alcohol in premium seating only is how 90% of the rest of the big ten does it and that NO OTHER BIG TEN SCHOOL sells alcohol in their general admission seating and why should the U of M go against that policy. you would think that fact would be something that should be mentioned in every article and TV story about this topic, yet you don't even hear it mentioned in half the stuff you see put out there, which is ridiculous.

what in the F is wrong with the people trying to force this b.s. down the U of M's throats? it is pathetic, pathetic pandering and these folks seem to have no shame about it.

The media has been pissing me off for some time. It's not about being fair and balanced in reporting anymore, they are all about ratings and creating "buzz" for stories that they can bring up on a daily basis for their "only on channel X" stories. National media is worse, but so sad to see the local media following now. Our country is being lead by lobbyists and media......so sad.

They know that they can spin this issue at the stadium and make it a much bigger deal then it really is. All for ratings.

Just as a comment to earlier statement about Williams and Mariucci, I THINK that the suites had to pay to stock the refrigerators per game, but the club rooms were able to get alcohol for free.

Good breakout on sales of alcoholic beverages, but the real loss comes in customers not renewing suite leases, or premium seats because of amenities no longer available. That's the big chunk of change in the loss model and what they are losing sleep over at Bierman. They have a team of 5 to 6 people who sell and lease suites for Gopher Athletics. They have an uphill battle, to say the least, for 2010.

Are you saying everyone in the stadium has two drinks per game? I can't imagine that. You must mean something else. I'm confused (as usual).

Top Bottom