Jeff Jordan drops basketball.

Frink

Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4284085

Good luck to him. I'm a bit surprised at this. On the one hand, having MJ's legacy looming over you can't be easy, on the other hand it's not like he was embarassing himself out there. Plus it seemed most fans had figured out he wasn't going to be a star and accepted him for the player he is. Maybe I'm wrong about that and he was hearing it from Illinois fans and opposing teams fans on the road.

No, you are correct. Jeff was a fan favorite. Very popular. Hard worker. Didn't seem jaded by his father's fame and money. His mother is quite a lady.

I think he saw three top guards joining the program and decided that he would concentrate on his degree since his future is in the business world not on the court.

I hope he reconsiders. His leadership will be missed even if he was going to play minimal minutes.

No, you are correct. Jeff was a fan favorite. Very popular. Hard worker. Didn't seem jaded by his father's fame and money. His mother is quite a lady.

I think he saw three top guards joining the program and decided that he would concentrate on his degree since his future is in the business world not on the court.

Makes sense.

Every good kid wants to make his/her own name and not operate in a parent's shadow. As long as he plays basketball, he'll be in that shadow. I can certainly understand him saying that it's time to break away and focus on the places he wants to leave his mark.

Maybe he should find a D-II program and become a star. Maybe he should have done that in the first place.

The whole idea when Jeff walked on was that he wanted to go to the UI for his education. If he wanted to continue to play basketball now, he would have stayed on the team. If he was worried about playing at a smaller school, he could have taken the scholarship from Valpo out of high school.

My guess is that his degree from Illinois is more important to him than starring at a D-II school.

I don't think Jeff Jordan is that concerned about his future. It's not as if he's going to have to pull a full time job while carrying a full course load or have to struggle in the depressed job market post-graduation while carrying a massive student loan debt. I wish I had Jeff Jordan's problem when I was a student. I had a newborn, a family to support and two jobs when I was an undergrad. I think Jeff will be just fine without basketball.

Top Bottom