Nonconference schedule update (6/24/09)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
For now I'll assume reports coming out of the Gophers' men's basketball golf fundraiser at Ham Lake are accurate, meaning we'll add Morgan State and Utah Valley State to the nonconference schedule (Utah State would be a nice get for the home fans, Utah Valley State. ... not so much). Hoping to get confirmation from both Morgan State and Utah Valley State. In addition, a ESPN programming representative for the Anaheim Classic indicated pairings will be announced soon, likely no later than mid-July.

The Gophers will play 12 nonconference games, 8 at home, 1 on the road, and 3 at a neutral site (Anaheim Classic). There are 3 nonconference home games yet to be scheduled.

Final RPI for 2008-09 listed in parentheses.

Home (8)
1. Saturday, Dec. 12 -- Saint Joseph's (105)
2. Wednesday, Dec. 23 -- South Dakota State (283)
3. Date TBD -- Stephen F. Austin (74, NCAA)
4. Date TBD -- Morgan State (130, NCAA)
5. Date TBD -- Utah Valley State (238)

Road (1)
1. Wednesday, Dec. 2 -- Miami of Florida (65)

Neutral/Anaheim Classic (3)
3 of these 7 (Thursday, Nov. 26-27, 29):
West Virginia (21, NCAA)
Butler (24, NCAA)
Clemson (28, NCAA)
UCLA (33, NCAA)
Texas A&M (36, NCAA)
Portland (120)
Long Beach State (156)

Average RPI of Known (6) Nonconference Opponents: 149.166

Portland lost in the first round of the CIT to Pacific, if you want to include that noteworthy resume detail...

Thanks. Because there are so many postseason tournaments now (also NIT, CBI, CIT), I'm only identifying the NCAA qualifiers.

Siena vs. Minnesota?

Hey guys Siena fan here. I have a lot of respect for Tubby Smith and the Minnesota basketball program. Siena is also looking for three more OOC games (one home, and two away) to complete their 2009-2010 non-league schedule. Because of the success Siena has had as a top mid-major not many teams (especially from BCS leagues) want to play Siena.

Siena has gone 50-19 the last two seasons with two NCAA trips and two NCAA wins over Vanderbilt and Ohio State. Siena nearly upset #1 Louisville in round 2.

Siena will start three seniors next year (Edwin Ubiles, Ronald Moore and Alex Franklin) and two juniors (Ryan Rossiter and Clarence Jackson).

Minnesota should be a very good team next year (in many people's top 25) and Siena will be in many top 25 lists as well.

Do you think coach Smith would agree to play Siena next year even if it's just a $$$ at Minnesota with no return?

I think it would be a great series (or even just one game) to start. A loss to Siena isn't a bad thing at all and a win would really boost Minnesota's NCAA resume.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

FWIW, Siena's RPI was 19 last year. It looks like Minnesota could use a solid mid-major name on their schedule especially at home.

A loss to Siena isn't a bad thing at all and a win would really boost Minnesota's NCAA resume.

I'd have to disagree with you there.

A loss to Siena at home would not be good. Sure it would better than losing to Utah Valley State or whatever, but c'mon. The only people it "isn't a bad thing" to lose at home are maybe Michigan state and Purdue.

I would like to see more OC games against quality opponents, but I can see why we don't schedule teams like you. A win doesn't really do much (unless maybe if we are on the bubble-which would be a disappointing season), and a loss would be damaging, and your team does have a solid potential for upset.

Always like to see Coach McCaffery

His wife, Margaret, is from St. Paul.

She was an All-State basketball player at Cretin-Derham Hall.

I still say a loss to Siena is not a bad thing. Losing to Northwestern would be much worse (of course they're in your league so you have to play them).

I think Siena has proven that they're a legit top 30 program over the last couple of years and should continue in that direction. Siena signed coach Fran McCaffery to an 8-year extension as he will enter his 5th season at Siena next year. Siena is hoping to become a Xavier or Gonzaga which is possible but much work still needs to be done.

I believe the last time Siena and Minnesota met was in the 2nd round of the 1989 NCAA tournament.

Hey guys Siena fan here. I have a lot of respect for Tubby Smith and the Minnesota basketball program. Siena is also looking for three more OOC games (one home, and two away) to complete their 2009-2010 non-league schedule. Because of the success Siena has had as a top mid-major not many teams (especially from BCS leagues) want to play Siena.

Siena has gone 50-19 the last two seasons with two NCAA trips and two NCAA wins over Vanderbilt and Ohio State. Siena nearly upset #1 Louisville in round 2.

Siena will start three seniors next year (Edwin Ubiles, Ronald Moore and Alex Franklin) and two juniors (Ryan Rossiter and Clarence Jackson).

Minnesota should be a very good team next year (in many people's top 25) and Siena will be in many top 25 lists as well.

Do you think coach Smith would agree to play Siena next year even if it's just a $$$ at Minnesota with no return?

I think it would be a great series (or even just one game) to start. A loss to Siena isn't a bad thing at all and a win would really boost Minnesota's NCAA resume.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Send an e-mail to DOB Joe Espositio - he helps put together the Gophers' OOC schedule.

I'd think you would find his e-mail address on the Gophers' athletic website,

I don't think we're looking for games yet this year. As I mentioned in a previous post, Tubby apparently went through the entire non-conference schedule at a recent golf outing and said the schedule is set.

As to possibly adding Sienna sometime down the road, I would doubt that the Gophers would agree on anything that would require MN to play a road game at Sienna, even if it was a 2-for-1. If we'd ever go down that route (a 2-for-1), I think it is much more likely that we'd schedule a closer (more regional) mid-major opponent like Northern Iowa, Drake, UW-Milwaukee, etc.

A "buy" game where Sienna plays at Williams Arena with no return trip might be more likely.

Siena

As a season ticket holder, I would take Siena on the home schedule in a heart beat. A quality opponent is a quality opponent no matter what league they play in.

I agree with Holy Man. Even though (as TJ pointed out) it's not going to happen this season, getting teams like Siena on the home schedule is exactly what some of us season-ticket holders are asking for. If we're not going to schedule home-and-homes with BCS programs (Tubby has yet to do that in 3 years, apparently), the next best thing is to get a few quality high majors (i.e. from the A-10, C-USA, Mountain West)/mid-majors (i.e. Butler, Creighton, Gonzaga, Siena, Utah State, Western Kentucky) on the home schedule. Whether it's a "buy" game or a 2-for-1, something better than what we're doing now.

I just went back and looked at an old thread.

Back in January, FOT said he talked to JoeEspo and promised that the home n-c schedule would improve. He said it would be much more to the likings of the fans. I said at that point that I remained skeptical.

All indications are that the home n-c schedule will not be upgraded. What's the deal oh knowledgeable FOT?

Top Bottom