PiPress article on Rodney: Future Gopher soars in fast crowd

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Future Gopher soars in fast crowd
Williams excels in Pulley opener
By Marcus R. Fuller

Rodney Williams watches the game from the bench at the Salvation Army in St. Paul, Minn., Tuesday, June 23, 2009. (Pioneer Press: Brandi Jade Thomas)Among the awestruck watching opening night of the Howard Pulley Pro-City League on Monday was a stocky man in his late 30s, camcorder in hand, eagerly watching a particular 17-year-old make everyone else on the court seem overly grounded by gravity.

Rodney Williams Sr. sat courtside, beaming with pride, watching spectacular dunks and blocks by his 6-foot-6, 190-pound son — except for the one that was the highlight of the night, when the kid propelled himself into the cool gym air to finish an alley-oop over 6-8 former University of Minnesota big man Randy Carter.

"Aw, man, I think I missed that one," said the father of Gophers freshman-to-be Rodney Williams Jr., who recently finished a standout career at Cooper High School. "The referee got in the way."

Although his team lost by double digits and he scored only 13 points (on five highlight-reel dunks), Williams Jr. bounced around the court like a kid with a fresh pair of flashy kicks.

Dunking on opponents is fun, always has been, but the blocks are enjoyable, too, and more along the lines of what the Gophers want from him. Coach Tubby Smith wants him to focus on his defense and rebounding. Williams says he understands and is willing to work on those.

It's certainly easier to relax and focus on his basketball now that the academic issues that plagued his high school career are gone.

"There's a lot less stress now," Williams said. "The school year is over; there's been a lot less to worry about."

There was a time when Williams lost sleep nightly; because his grades were so poor, they threatened his college basketball eligibility. He was having to dispel rumors that he was leaving Cooper for prep school. Eventually, he earned a qualifying test score and boosted his grade-point average enough to get into the U.

"I was after school a lot more," said Williams, who received an 18 on his ACT. "My counselors were working a lot harder."

The elder Williams said he couldn't

"His mother was on him endlessly," he said. "He had a dream, and we had to help him reach it. Even after the test score came back, we were waiting to see what his final GPA was going to be. He ended up being fine once he finished with A's and B's, instead of the other way around.

"It's such a relief because he can just relax. And I think the hard work he put in to get (eligible) he can keep doing to be able to play his freshman year."

After his first week of summer classes at Minnesota, Williams said, he's slowly adjusting. He continues to receive Smith's support.

"We're excited; we always trusted and believed that they were going to do their thing (academically)," Smith said about Williams and Mr. Basketball Royce White of Hopkins, another 2009 recruit. "It's unfortunate that there has been such public scrutiny about it. But people feel like it's important, because they are coming to a university, they are representing a school and are receiving an athletic scholarship. I can appreciate that, but I always try to be as positive as I can."

Smith told Williams he would have to know his role with the Gophers, that "I have to be there to help the team, don't be selfish. He wants me to hit the glass, play defense and everything like that."

With his above-the-rim athleticism, Williams could become one of the Gophers' top threats at crashing the boards on offense. In pickup games, his teammates have learned quickly that losing sight of him on the court can almost guarantee embarrassment.

"He can really fly," said Williams' summer-league teammate Dominique Dawson, who is expected to be a Gophers walk-on next season. "You know he can do it, but it just amazes you every time."

Monday night, Gophers point guard Al Nolen turned to rebound a missed shot when Williams, playing on the opposing team, almost leaped over his head to cram the ball through the basket.

His jumper and strength need work. Williams shot a few air balls and got pushed off-balance on a few drives. But even though he's long been an exciting dunker, his developing defense (seven blocks Monday) could spell immediate playing time.

"I'm doing that a little more now than when I was in high school," Williams said about blocking shots. "I don't want to get exposed out there."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_12676180

Go Gophers!!

REally looking forward to the incoming freshmen. It should be another fun year next year.

This is what I expect of Williams this year. He'll play D and crash the boards. Hopefully by his junior year he'll be a legit offensive threat but until then he can make a big difference with his athleticism

Top Bottom