August 22 Scrimmage & Open House

Bayfieldgopher

Reaction score
Here is the good news season ticket holders!!

In advance of the opener, the Athletics Department will host a Gopher Game Day Preview on Saturday, August 22, for all season ticket holders. The Gopher Game Day Preview will provide season ticket holders with the opportunity to familiarize themselves with their parking and new seats in TCF Bank Stadium as well as plot out the best means of entrance and egress from the facility, locate concession stands and restroom facilities. Season ticket holders will also have the opportunity to get a sneak peak at the 2009 Gophers during a team scrimmage that will that will be part the event.

Athletics Department officials hope to release the starting time of the Gopher Game Day Preview in the next couple of weeks. Tickets for the Gopher Game Day Preview will be included in all 2009 season ticket packages, which are expected to be mailed in early August.

Looking forward to this. A great idea and a fun way to spend a summer afternoon...

Bayfieldgopher,

Your my hero!!! Thanks for the great news!!!!

I love summer....but I have NEVER looked forward to fall this much in my life.

Thanks Bayfield for passing on the news. I can't wait for August 22nd! It will be nice to take in the stadium when there is not an actual game going. Hopefully, I can make my way over to your side and say hello! I am planning on 78degrees, sunny with a breeze.

Hey,

Does anyone know when they are going to do that open house thing for kids at the Nagurski complex? I took my daughter last year and she had a blast.

Butch.
Be fun to do the tour together. Stay in touch.

Anyone know if the St.Paul campus buses will be running that day? I would expect that would be the case as that will be a signficant part of the normal gameday activity.

I'd like to make a suggestion. I think GH'ers should find an appointed time to kick off the Ski-U-Mah cheer and let it roll around the stadium for a minute or two so that the rest of the stadium sees how cool it is. Either at the 8/22 scrimmage or at the AF game, we pick a time on the stadium clock to kick it off and let it rip. Thoughts?

I agree that cheer would be really cool. unfortunately I don't know if there are enough students in the know about it, and since the entire bowl is the student section (the "U" part of the cheer) it might not make sense. Has anyone heard word back from Maturi/etc on if this is something they want to do at games?

I would imagine this Aug 22 scrimmage would be a great time to introduce the general seating fans to the new/old traditions. Let everyone know what cheers the U is planning, when to do them, etc. Similar to the even during new student week where student ticket holders will be able to go in to the stadium (I don't know how in depth this even is - I proposed have the band, team, admin, etc there to teach/learn and try to get people super pumped for the football season... we'll see...).

Let's hope this is a little more than just a run through for them for actual game-day stuff like lights, screen, PA, etc. Should be the whole shebang.

I agree that cheer would be really cool. unfortunately I don't know if there are enough students in the know about it, and since the entire bowl is the student section (the "U" part of the cheer) it might not make sense.

I'm confident the section 231 GH lunatics can handle it on their behalf...

I'm confident the section 231 GH lunatics can handle it on their behalf...

As our former Wild Coach would say, "There's NO DOUBT" that the crazies in Section 231 will cover if the students are not there.

We really need to get this three part Ski - U - Mah cheer going for real.

Who can be contacted at the U to get this a coordinated effort between the cheerleaders (holding signs) and video board/sound system telling and showing fans what to say when. It will need to be taught to the fans at first and will require the coordination and support of the "game day management" type people.

Does anyone have connections to these people? Do they read these boards? Can we email them? Let's get this READY!

If any season ticket holders are not planning on going I will buy a pair of tickets for a reasonable price!

I don't doubt that they will, I am just interested to see how the Ski-U-Mah chant will get started and if it will catch on.

Also, will the band be there in some capacity? I believe the leadership retreat is going on that weekend, so it would be possible to have them come over as a break from drills to play from the band section to give fans a feel for what it will be like (and the directors/leadership a chance to settle themselves in before an actual gameday). Maybe MinnMarch or umnhcky can comment. I'd like to see you guys there!

Also, will the band be there in some capacity? I believe the leadership retreat is going on that weekend, so it would be possible to have them come over as a break from drills to play from the band section to give fans a feel for what it will be like (and the directors/leadership a chance to settle themselves in before an actual gameday). Maybe MinnMarch or umnhcky can comment. I'd like to see you guys there!

The band really added to the vibe at the Spring Game. Count me in as someone who would love to see them there and playing a couple of songs during the scrimmage.

The band really added to the vibe at the Spring Game. Count me in as someone who would love to see them there and playing a couple of songs during the scrimmage.

Hell ya... I wonder how they'll sound coming out of that special band pit that has been constructed for them?

That is one thing I have always admired about how Michigan sets up their band, and microphones... "Hail" is always so distinctively audible when you watch Michigan games on TV. I have always thought that the rouser gets lost among the echo-y roof and speakers blaring at the same time. When you watch a Gopher game on TV and the rouser is played, you can barely hear it. I hope they take note of Michigan and others that have set-ups made to get their audible "branding" clearly heard over the TV coverage.

I have always blamed it on the dome so it will be interesting to see if that band pit and proper microphone placment corrects that in TCF.

But, not to change the subject too much... yes, I do hope the band has a dry run at the scrimmage too. It would really add to the atmosphere.

I think part of the Michigan thing is they pipe it in instead of purposely or unintentionally washing it out. This is because everyone loves to talk about how GREAT Hail is, blah blah blah just the same as media pundits love talking about Notre Dame. There are enough fans of the blue-blood college programs around the country that they love pandering to those people.

If you watch UMN hockey games on FSN, you get a feel for how awesome the Rouse truly is, especially with the MN spellout at the end. Gives me chills. If they even tried to show how cool that is at football games on tv I would be pleased. Lucky for me I won't know since I'll be at every game.

Hearing the spellout at the 2003 Michigan game gave me chills, when you have enough Gopher fans it sounds awesome.

Band Aug 22

The band has a gig in Rochester that morning/early afternoon - but I've been told they will come straight to the game following. Expecting a 3PM "kickoff" so they hope to roll in before the start.

That 2003 Michigan game at the dome was nuts. I couldn't hear myself think during the expansion of the M then Rouser. One of the best moments on the field for me... followed by one of the (if not all time..) worst moments for a Gopher fan.

That 2003 Michigan game at the dome was nuts. I couldn't hear myself think during the expansion of the M then Rouser. One of the best moments on the field for me... followed by one of the (if not all time..) worst moments for a Gopher fan.

I've tried not to think about this game too much since it happened, but in reality, the first 3 quarters were filled with the most energy I ever felt at the Dome.

Here's hoping we blow by that at TCF as soon as possible. =)

Top Bottom