My 2008 Prediction

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
Every August I type up my prediction for the upcoming year. I'm not quite ready to make 2009's prediction yet, but I did come across my prediction for last year.

Keep in mind that we were coming off a 1-11 season, so I wasn't really optimistic. Here it is:

Likely Outcome:
Solid Wins: NIU & Montana State
50/50 chance (we win 1 of 2) against: BGSU & FAU
1 of 3 against: IU, NW & Iowa
Solid Losses: OSU, Ill, Purdue, Michigan & Wisconsin
Final Record: 4-8

Best Case:
Wins: NIU, Montana State & FAU
50-50 Chance against: BGSU, NW, Iowa & IU
1 “shocker”
Final record: 6-6 & a trip to the Motor City Bowl

Worst Case:
50-50 against: NIU & Montana State
1 0f 3 against: BGSU, FAU & NW
Final record: 2-10

Maybe its the Minnesotan in me, but I'd rather have my expectations exceeded than my hopes dashed. It is quite clear that the 2008 Gophers exceeded my expectations.

Let's hope they can do it again in 2009!

Maybe its the Minnesotan in me, but I'd rather have my expectations exceeded than my hopes dashed. It is quite clear that the 2008 Gophers exceeded my expectations.

Let's hope they can do it again in 2009!

And that's what got lost amidst all the bitching about the five-game skid to end the season. The Gophers were about a year ahead of schedule - most thought we'd get back into a bowl game in 2009 and build toward a big season in 2010.

Maybe it's the losing streak or the tougher schedule, or both, but I think most of us expect about the same record this year. If the Gophers outperform expectations again, the bar will be set very high indeed for 2010.

And that's what got lost amidst all the bitching about the five-game skid to end the season. The Gophers were about a year ahead of schedule - most thought we'd get back into a bowl game in 2009 and build toward a big season in 2010.

Maybe it's the losing streak or the tougher schedule, or both, but I think most of us expect about the same record this year. If the Gophers outperform expectations again, the bar will be set very high indeed for 2010.

Precisely my thoughts

Top Bottom