What's the deal with getting student tickets post-graduation?

ChemEGopher

Section 133 Row 28!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Rumor has it I can still get bball student tickets for two years after I graduate. Is this true? Thanks.

Rumor has it I can still get bball student tickets for two years after I graduate. Is this true? Thanks.

It was true, but I wonder if this changed with the football rules. And with a sell out last year for bball and a sell out this year for football.

Just call the ticket office.

Heck I know a guy who has gotten for 30 plus years. He graduated back in the 70's. He either has a nephew or a niece or frind of a nephew or a niece student get them for him or he signs up for a class, gets his tickets and then drops the class. If you're creative you can go for a long time.
Unless they strart doing the student id photo check but signing up for a class usually will get past that.

It was true, but I wonder if this changed with the football rules. And with a sell out last year for bball and a sell out this year for football.

Just call the ticket office.

Anti is right, it was kinda true. When we did the Barnyard, we fought for it to be 5 years...and then realized it wasn't rule set in stone. I think it was just the fact they never really checked, so we marketed it for 2 years, but anyone with an ID could get them. As for this year, I bet they crack down, they used to not have the technology to see if you were registered, but now they do. Like he said, I'd call - but I highly doubt they'd know by now.

Personally, I think there should be a grace period, or a sliding scale. Forking over $500 for tickets when you just graduate isn't possible for 90+% of grads, and you lose great fans that give a home court advantage for quite a few years, if they ever come back.

Anti is right, it was kinda true. When we did the Barnyard, we fought for it to be 5 years...and then realized it wasn't rule set in stone. I think it was just the fact they never really checked, so we marketed it for 2 years, but anyone with an ID could get them. As for this year, I bet they crack down, they used to not have the technology to see if you were registered, but now they do. Like he said, I'd call - but I highly doubt they'd know by now.

Personally, I think there should be a grace period, or a sliding scale. Forking over $500 for tickets when you just graduate isn't possible for 90+% of grads, and you lose great fans that give a home court advantage for quite a few years, if they ever come back.

At the same time, how would you feel if you were a freshman and wanted to get tickets and someone who isn't a student anymore got one? I understand wanting to get tickets, but now that we have an up-and-coming program, demand is going to be a lot higher for the tickets, and kids who are still taking classes should get them, imo. Still worth a shot I guess...

At the same time, how would you feel if you were a freshman and wanted to get tickets and someone who isn't a student anymore got one? I understand wanting to get tickets, but now that we have an up-and-coming program, demand is going to be a lot higher for the tickets, and kids who are still taking classes should get them, imo. Still worth a shot I guess...

Totally agree with that...they should have ticket apps like they used to. Have a deadline, distribute tickets, and what's left, would be given to recent grads. That would ensure a full section the entire season, not just in the BT season.

Nope it's mine again.

well congrats, but it was kinda bullshit when people get there half an hour before some people, but those people know someone working and they walk in early, or the guard lets them in before everyone else

Heck I know a guy who has gotten for 30 plus years. He graduated back in the 70's. He either has a nephew or a niece or frind of a nephew or a niece student get them for him or he signs up for a class, gets his tickets and then drops the class. If you're creative you can go for a long time.
Unless they strart doing the student id photo check but signing up for a class usually will get past that.

man, what a cheap bastard! and he makes his relatives do it for him too?!?! :rolleyes:

sounds like they now have the technology to be able to see if you are an actively enrolled student at the time you pick up your season tickets, so assuming they use that for b-ball as well (don't know why they wouldn't) it appears that guy might have to actually pay adult prices like the rest of us. too bad, so sad! ;)

and it would be nice to get a shot a the front row for once

There will be three open seats that I know of... Also, there are also plenty of non-conf games where you can snag a spot in the front row if you get there just a half hour early.

man, what a cheap bastard! and he makes his relatives do it for him too?!?!

sounds like they now have the technology to be able to see if you are an actively enrolled student at the time you pick up your season tickets, so assuming they use that for b-ball as well (don't know why they wouldn't) it appears that guy might have to actually pay adult prices like the rest of us. too bad, so sad!

And he use to gloat that I was paying $600.00 PLUS a season per seat while he was getting in for $65.00 or what ever it was for the year. That was hard to stomach.

And during the Monson years he could usually sit by me because the corporate seats were often EMPTY.

But not anymore :D..... maybe.

And he use to gloat that I was paying $600.00 PLUS a season per seat while he was getting in for $65.00 or what ever it was for the year. That was hard to stomach.

And during the Monson years he could usually sit by me because the corporate seats were often EMPTY.

But not anymore :D..... maybe.

i would call/write the ticket office to make sure they are planning on using this new student ticket verification technology for gopher b-ball and i guess hockey as well. it is only right that they do. student tickets and their prices should be for real U of M students only......not cheap-ass 45 year old S.O.B.'s

i would call/write the ticket office to make sure they are planning on using this new student ticket verification technology for gopher b-ball and i guess hockey as well. it is only right that they do. student tickets and their prices should be for real U of M students only......not cheap-ass 45 year old S.O.B.'s

Hey watch it, now you are going to offend our good friend From The Barn. He still sits in the student section.

There's no reason they shouldn't have a small section with the general season tickets for recent grads at a signficantly reduced rate. Many, if not most, other schools have this for the very reasons GopherLady indicated. It is mind-boggling that the U has not done this years ago. Yesterday's grad's are tomorrow's big donors but if you lose them in the abyss in the middle they may never come back. Recent grad's should never have been reduced to using thier ID's to score student tickets and now it sounds like they will not even have that option.

There's no reason they shouldn't have a small section with the general season tickets for recent grads at a signficantly reduced rate. Many, if not most, other schools have this for the very reasons GopherLady indicated. It is mind-boggling that the U has not done this years ago. Yesterday's grad's are tomorrow's big donors but if you lose them in the abyss in the middle they may never come back. Recent grad's should never have been reduced to using thier ID's to score student tickets and now it sounds like they will not even have that option.

I agree. If I don't get discounted tickets this year the U can kiss my future billions goodbye.

ChemE has earned his tickets, due to his previous pizza heroism vs. Becky trolls trying to sneak into the student section. But what if some other recent grad who attended 1 game won the lottery over someone with your proven credentials? Doesn't Michigan State track its student attendance and if you miss too many games, you don't get to move up?

ChemE has earned his tickets, due to his previous pizza heroism vs. Becky trolls trying to sneak into the student section. But what if some other recent grad who attended 1 game won the lottery over someone with your proven credentials? Doesn't Michigan State track its student attendance and if you miss too many games, you don't get to move up?

there are so many policies that would make our section better, but the chances of them being implemented are very slim.

How do you decide which recent grads get priority? How long? 5 years? 1000 recent grades wanting tickets each year. 5,000 total? I think that is a good size section.

14,000 tickets is not that many for a successful team. The other thing is your not likely to graduate into season tickets if the team is winning as well.

I think you have to look at the reality of the situation and you got to ride your student tickets for 4-6 years at a super reduced rate. The U doesn't need to keep discounting tickets.

How do you decide which recent grads get priority? How long? 5 years? 1000 recent grades wanting tickets each year. 5,000 total? I think that is a good size section.

14,000 tickets is not that many for a successful team. The other thing is your not likely to graduate into season tickets if the team is winning as well.

I think you have to look at the reality of the situation and you got to ride your student tickets for 4-6 years at a super reduced rate. The U doesn't need to keep discounting tickets.

That is true right now, because we're winning. However, we know how fairweather the fanbase is - and just 4 years ago there were only 300 out of the 2200 student season tickets sold. It's good to have a process in place to expand your fanbase...and if the tickets are all out by the time the 1st game rolls around, so be it. Current students should obviously get priority. However, if they aren't - there's no reason why the U can't extend a reduced rate to recent grads.

Top Bottom