Gopher Women Land Recruit From Ames IA

No idea whether this will have any impact on Harrison Barnes or not.

But she (the recruit) mentioned that the Twin Cities being close to home was a factor for her.

EDIT link http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_12660443?nclick_check=1 to the article.

Hard to say. Harrison plays things pretty close to the vest and I have no idea what kind of relationship he has with Kellogg. Other than the fact that they go to the same school and almost certainly know each other pretty well, that's a hard one to gauge. Every recruit tends to look at things differently. I think it's pretty safe to say it certainly doesn't hurt however. ;)

I don't think that's what FOT meant.

I'm guessing he wasn't talking about any connection between Barnes and Kellogg, but rather whether Barnes thought process would be similar in terms of liking Mpls over a smaller town.

Anyhooo... Kellogg sounds like a solid player and the women have also received a verbal from a quality guard from Illinois, Janelle Cannon.

I'm guessing he wasn't talking about any connection between Barnes and Kellogg, but rather whether Barnes thought process would be similar in terms of liking Mpls over a smaller town.

Anyhooo... Kellogg sounds like a solid player and the women have also received a verbal from a quality guard from Illinois, Janelle Cannon.

You could very well be correct. If anything, it may cause Barnes to decide which factors are more important than others in making his decision. In continuing with that line of thought, having somebody in close proximity like Kellogg decide what was most important to her may simply result in Barnes thinking over what is most important to him.

To clarify, I don't think that Kellogg's decision denotes a so-called "package deal" with Barnes considering I have no idea what their relationship is like and how their personalities are similar or different. Rather, I agree that if anything, it will cause Barnes to perhaps decide which factors are most important to him throughout the process.

I heard they are really good friends and decided they would not go to college together so they could branch out and meet new people.

I heard they are really good friends and decided they would not go to college together so they could branch out and meet new people.

Yeah, and Minnesota was replaced in Harrison's potential school list by Wisconsin because of her commitment. Actually I better be careful, Shooter might decide to report this in his column tomorrow.

Unless Barnes and this gal are "dating" each other, I don't see how there's any connection whatsoever. One has nothing to do with the other.

Correct.

Could be some nice pickups for the Gophers. I'm glad they are both from out-of-state. Even though not that far...

Kellogg is ranked #30 in the guard rankings for Hoopgurlz in the Class of 2010 joining Shakila Boler who is ranked as the #15 PG and #48 overall.

I think Harrison Barnes' girlfriend is actually going to play basketball at Iowa. Barnes has eliminated the Hawkeyes from consideration, so if he wants to remain close to his gal, he will attend ISU, MN, or KS.

That is assuming he is still dating the young lady. I have no idea if he is or isn't. I just remember last summer when she verbally committed to Iowa (over Creighton and Drake) that people talked about whether it would impact Barnes' decision.

Actually it is Janelle Cannon who is ranked #31 guard at Hoop Gurlz. Kionna Kellogg, at 6'1", is a Forward and is not ranked by Hoop Gurlz. Just an FYI.

Actually it is Janelle Cannon who is ranked #31 guard at Hoop Gurlz. Kionna Kellogg, at 6'1", is a Forward and is not ranked by Hoop Gurlz. Just an FYI.

ha, i was just coming to correct that. thank you!

You are a complete d-bag and I wish you would leave. Have you still not gotten over the sweep?

Meanie. Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me.

My source might be really good. You have no idea.

I think Barnes has crossed Wisconsin off his list because he would rather not get swept by the Gophers.
Ah who am I kidding he never had the Vagers on any list.
________
EXTREME VAPORIZER

Kellogg long You tube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkk6y5b0xM0

Ames center Kellogg thinks Minnesota is a good fit
By Ben Gouldsmith
Published: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 11:02 PM CDT

Kionna Kellogg’s trip to Minnesota’s elite basketball camp last week was an audition of sorts for the Ames High senior-to-be, who was offered a scholarship by Golden Gophers coach Pam Borton after the three-day camp.

Kellogg moved to Ames from Marshall, Minn., in elementary school and still has family in Iowa’s neighboring state to the north. She quickly gave the Gophers a verbal commitment, turning down a scholarship offer from Iowa State.

“Now I can just play all summer and not have to worry about my decision,” Kellogg said.

The 6-foot-1 post player averaged 13.4 points, 9.7 rebounds and 3.1 blocks a game as a junior in helping the Little Cyclones to a 23-3 record and a runner-up finish at the Class 4A state tournament. She is playing AAU ball this summer for the IBCA Iowa Select Red team. Though she plays center for Ames during the high school season, she said Minnesota is likely recruiting her as a small forward.

At last week’s camp, Kellogg said, she mostly worked with guards.

Ames coach Joel Sullivan said Kellogg looks the part of a Division I athlete.

“She’s long, she’s lean, she’s athletic and she can run really well, and I think that’s something that really attracted a lot of schools to her,” Sullivan said. “She really does a nice job of being able to finish around the rim, she’s a tremendous competitor, and I think that’s something that really serves her well.”

Besides the offer from Iowa State, Kellogg said Drake and Northern Iowa were among other Division I schools that showed interest.

But when Borton offered Kellogg a scholarship last week, the allure of the Twin Cities was too much to turn down.

Kellogg said she had taken a couple unofficial visits to Minnesota before last week, and she left impressed with the campus. When she saw how the Gophers’ coaching staff worked together at the camp and met a couple of the players, she envisioned herself wearing the maroon and gold.

“I always thought it would be cool to go there,” Kellogg said, “so when they offered, I just really knew that was a place I wanted to be.”

Minnesota advanced to the second round of the 2009 NCAA tournament. The Gophers finished 20-12 overall and 11-7 in the Big Ten Conference.

Kellogg, the fourth player to commit to Minnesota’s 2010 recruiting class, will cross paths with former Ames teammate Trisha Nesbitt a couple of times a year in the Big Ten. Nesbitt, a guard on the Little Cyclones’ 2009 state runner-up squad, is a freshman walk-on at Iowa.

In Kellogg’s final high school season, Sullivan said he’d like to see her work on improving her shooting range and ball-handling. Along with adding some bulk to Kellogg’s wiry frame, those skills should help her navigate the rigors of Division I basketball.

“She’s a phenomenal athlete with tremendous upside,” Sullivan said, “and I think that’s really what drew a lot of colleges to her in the first place.”

Top Bottom