Vote for Minnesota on ESPN

grunkiejr

Mentor to 007
Reaction score
As a part of a 50 state tour, College Football Live will have an episode featuring Minnesota on July 7. There are 3 questions posed for voters: 1) Best team in state history 2) Best player in state history 3) Best coach in state history. Judging from the early results it looks like St. Johns has stuffed the ballot. Bierman, the man I thought was the obvious choice for best coach given his 5 National Champions, only has 7% of the vote for best coach.

Here is the website for voting.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/polls?pCat=46&sCat=525

Please help your Gophers.

As a part of a 50 state tour, College Football Live will have an episode featuring Minnesota on July 7. There are 3 questions posed for voters: 1) Best team in state history 2) Best player in state history 3) Best coach in state history. Judging from the early results it looks like St. Johns has stuffed the ballot. Bierman, the man I thought was the obvious choice for best coach given his 5 National Champions, only has 7% of the vote for best coach.

Here is the website for voting.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/polls?pCat=46&sCat=525

Please help your Gophers.

Yeah, some definte ballot box stuffing going on there. I also wouldn't be surprised if there are some d-bag iowa and/or sconnie fans voting for St. John's and John Gagliardi just to spite the U of M. Have seen it before on these types of things.

Make sure to get out there and vote for Minnesota (threw my vote to the 1941 U of M team as best ever).

And obviously Bernie Bierman (5 division 1 national championships and numerous Big Ten championships) is the best coach ever in Minnesota football history. Shouldn't even be a question about it.

Quote: Yeah, some definte ballot box stuffing going on there. I also wouldn't be surprised if there are some d-bag iowa and/or sconnie fans voting for St. John's and John Gagliardi just to spite the U of M. Have seen it before on these types of things.:D:D:D

Get real. The suggestion that there is ballot box stuffing is absurd. My guess is that 99% of the people who voted in this poll have never heard of Bernie Bierman. Is there any football fan in Minnesota that does not know that John Gagliardi has won more college football games than any coach in history? This ranks at the absolute bottom of any list of issues that should concern Gopher football fans. By any measure Gagliardi is a worthy coach and person to represent Minnesota in this poll.

Don't shortchange Dr Williams.

He coached one of the most famous games in history UM vs UM in 1903. The 6-6 tie heard around the world.

He also started a great coaching tree.

Gil Dobie
Clark Shaughnessy
Bernie Bierman

He also was one of the first advocates of the forward pass, created the Minnesota shift, and created the 4 man defensive backfield.

Quote: Yeah, some definte ballot box stuffing going on there. I also wouldn't be surprised if there are some d-bag iowa and/or sconnie fans voting for St. John's and John Gagliardi just to spite the U of M. Have seen it before on these types of things.:D:D:D

Get real. The suggestion that there is ballot box stuffing is absurd. My guess is that 99% of the people who voted in this poll have never heard of Bernie Bierman. Is there any football fan in Minnesota that does not know that John Gagliardi has won more college football games than any coach in history? This ranks at the absolute bottom of any list of issues that should concern Gopher football fans. By any measure Gagliardi is a worthy coach and person to represent Minnesota in this poll.

no, actually you need to get real pops!! as someone who actually graduated from SJU and was good friends with many starters on the SJU football team please don't tell me what i should or shouldn't know about johnnie football and coach gags.

don't get me wrong. while i enjoyed watching them play top-notch D3 football for 4 years and even win a D3 national championship a couple years after i graduated, i know for a fact that john gagliardi IS NOT a better coach than bernie bierman was.

gags may have more total wins than any other coach considering he has coached for over 50 years, but he is not a better coach and has not accomplished anywhere near what bernie bierman did during a far shorter period that was even interrupted by his service in WWII.

You know ballot stuffing is going on when 2003 St. John's is listed as the best team ever. They wouldn't have stayed within 50 of the 2003 Gophers. There is a huge difference between D1 and D3 football.

As a SJU graduate...and a member of that SJU '03 National Championship team.... My vote is for the Johnnies.

I know why SJU ends up on these polls

So if SJU and the Gophers had met up in 2003 you would have beaten them?

An alumn I know works for ESPN and sticks them on these lists all the time. If anybody was clearheaded on this, UMD's team from this year should have been on this before SJU's any team, and none of them should be in concideration over any of the 5 NC gopher teams or even some of the uncrowned teams, like 1927 or 1935, Hell I would take the 1977 or 1967 team over any lower division teams.

As a SJU alum attending during that time....yes SJU was good at the D3 level. The Gophers in 03 would have beat them to sh*t. So you can say the best for their level or the best overall.

As a SJU alum attending during that time....yes SJU was good at the D3 level. The Gophers in 03 would have beat them to sh*t. So you can say the best for their level or the best overall.

as a fellow SJU alum (noted above) i agree that the 2003 SJU team was really good. but, since the poll is asking who was the "best team ever" one can not (even as an SJU alum) rightfully vote for D3 SJU over any of those undefeated national championship D1 Minnesota teams......or even the 2003 gopher team for that matter. 2003 U of M would have mopped up the 2003 SJU team.

I love DIII sports. There are some incredible athletes that come out of that level from time to time... as in pro tennis players, guys with good NBA or NFL careers, etc. DIII is taken more seriously around here and there are some very good results... St. Thomas national champions in baseball, Augsburg regular national champs in wrestling, St. Johns impressive football championships, Gustavus national runners up in hockey and basketball in recent years, etc. etc.

But, that being said I would put the '07 1-11 Gophers up against the '03 St. John's football team... any day. St. John's shouldn't be on that list.

I dont think any Johhny out there is delusional enough to actually think that the 03 team would beat any D1 team...

I dont think the poll asks, which team would beat the other...it just simply asked which is the best team. IMO, that '03 SJU team was the best team in their division that year.

"was the best team in their division" But since the question asks the best team...you can't take division into consideration.

Here were my votes

Team - 1940 - probably the best of the champions

Player - Bronko - All-American on O & D.

Coach - Williams - He was Bierman's coach. He was an innovator too.

This is kind of silly. Look at the Wisconsin poll and notice which team is on top at 47%. Not a Badger team.

Why do we have to share a half hour show with goddamn Kansas? I notice that Pennsylvania and Ohio got two days, every other Big Ten state at least a whole day. Man, I can understand Indiana with three currently crappy D1 teams and Michigan with a plethora of directionals and two major programs. Illinois had some great history at one time with the Maroons as well as the Illini, but seriously Iowa and Wisconsin garnish a whole day, especially Wisconsin? I watched the Iowa day and if they could stretch that into a ten minute segment, they could easily stretch us into thirteen. A bunch of bygone glory, recent success at DII and DIII levels and a new stadium/program.

"was the best team in their division" But since the question asks the best team...you can't take division into consideration.

Just to play devil's advocate, one could also argue that if you can't take division into consideration, you can't take era into consideration either. Does anybody really think that a 1941 team full of 200 lb. linemen would stand a chance against the 2003 team?

And for the record, I voted for the 1941 team.

if you look at the maps and the breakdowns, it's obvious that St John's and Gagliardi are leading because of out of state voters are just looking at the records, not the history behind the teams/coaches. Williams gets the second most votes in about 90% of the other states.

BUMPITY BUMP, BUMP - Make sure to get over to ESPN and vote for the U of M

1941 and Bernie Bierman all the way! ;)

Anybody read the blurb on the side?

College Football Live's 50 States Tour stops in Minnesota. On this leg of the tour we will explore the best college teams, coaches, and players from the North Star State. Is Darrell Thompson the best player in Alabama state history? Which coach is the state's all-time best? Vote now!

fail.jpg

Another reason to hate ESPN. Every year around this time, they get bored with just covering baseball and come up with some stupid gimmick like "Who's Now?" or "Best Sports Town" or "Mount Rushmore"....ugh. I refuse to participate or care.

Anybody read the blurb on the side?

fail.jpg

something tells me that "blurb" was actually a "cut & paste" job sentence that they likely used on a good number of the different state's lead-in pages rather than writing out new, unique copy for each and every single state over and over again fifty times.

wonder how many times the intern who got stuck with this sweet job pasted the alabama version of this sentence on different state's pages until he realized it and didn't want to go back and fix all of them! ;)

BUMP - I assume you have all done your Gopher civic duty and voted UM/Bierman?!

i will go grass roots with this sh!t if i have too! just kidding.........well, kind of. ;)

As I predicted Iowa Hogeye d-bags are stuffing the ballot box for SJU and Gagliardi

click on the states and you can see how they are voting. all of the sudden iowa has jumped up to something like 100 votes (from what had been around 15) and 90% of them are for SJU over the 1941 National Champ Minnesota team. They are doing the same thing with Coach Gagliardi over Coach Bernie Bierman, which is insane. You know their voting pattern is almost entirely out of spite against the U of M. It shouldn't even be a contest people. Some of the same ballot-stuffing against the U of M (though not to as great of an extent) in favor of SJU and Coach Gagliardi can also be noted when you click on how Wisconsin is voting. There are likely some iowa hogeye and becky ex-patriots now living in MN who are doing the same thing when you examine how the state of Minnesota is voting.

Again, I will say do your part as a Gopher fan and click on the ESPN link at the top of this thread and vote for the U of M if you have not done so already.

For posterity sake here is how I decided to vote: 1941 Minnesota national champion team, Bronko Nagurski, Coach Bernie Bierman.

It takes a whole 15 seconds to vote. Don't let our Gophers down!!

And here is the proof that this whole little ioweeee hogeye ballot stuffing campaign for SJU and Gagliardi is being led by none other than the giant d-bag known to most as Pantherhawk. Link to his Iowa Rivals message board post regarding this little ruse: http://iowa.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?highlight=gophers&sid=940&fid=804&tid=123850778&mid=123875356

Top Bottom