Q&A: Jr Steffon Mitchell Has Big Season As Gophers Interest and Recruitment Picks Up

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Jr Steffon Mitchell Has Big Season As Gophers Interest and Recruitment Picks Up

Q&A: Shakopee Junior Steffon Mitchell Has Big Season As Gophers Interest and Recruitment Picks Up
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/489819?referrer_id=388419

Steffon Mitchell, a 6-foot-7 junior forward from Shakopee (MN) High, made the College Basketball News and Star Tribune All-Metro first teams after averaging 24.6 points and 9.3 rebounds per game. He has helped lead the Sabers to a 23-7 record and a spot in the Class AAAA semifinals after an opening 64-53 win over Roseville in the first round Wednesday.

Mitchell started out slow, missing all six shots from the field in the first half as he has just two points at the break. However, he made 7 of 11 shots in the second half as he finished with 19 points, 10 rebounds and 4 assists.

Mitchell caught up with Gopher Hole after their win to talk about the latest on his recruitment.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, a big win for you. How pleased are you with how well you have played this season?

Steffon Mitchell: I am very pleased with our defensive game, but offensively, we are a streaky team. We can play really well. We can play mediocre and one half, really good. Another half, really bad. Tonight, I thought that we did an okay job.

Gopher Hole: Like you said, you didn't start off great, you were 0 for 6 from the field, but you had to feel that you were going to pick it up. How pleased were you with your play in the second half?

Steffon Mitchell: Overall, I thought that my game was okay. I knew that I could have gotten better. Instead of fading away to my right, I knew that I should have faded away to my left, because I had an easier bank shot and everything else

Gopher Hole: I think that you have six offers right now (Furman, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, South Dakota, American and Central Michigan). What other schools are you hearing from?

Steffon Mitchell: I am hearing from a lot of Big Ten schools. Pac 12, Stuff like that.

Gopher Hole: What Big Ten schools?

Steffon Mitchell: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa and a lot of mid major schools across the country.

Gopher Hole: Have you had a chance to go to many college basketball games this season?

Steffon Mitchell: Not a lot of college games, because I play during the season and my dad is a girl's coach, so we really don't have time unless it is on the weekend or really late at night.

Gopher Hole: What games have you attended?

Steffon Mitchell: I went to Northern Iowa for their game against Wichita State, It was a good atmosphere. I went to the Minnesota game against Rutgers. I went to the Minnesota game against Furman and that is about it.

Gopher Hole: That game was kind of nice since you are being recruited by both schools. What was that experience like being at the Gopher games?

Steffon Mitchell: It was pretty fun. I was at the game during the break, so it wasn't terribly packed, but it was still a pretty fun game.

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from the Gophers?

Steffon Mitchell: They are at quite a few games. They will be at a lot of games this summer, too. I have already been down to the locker room, talked to Coach Pitino and stuff like that.

Gopher Hole: You have some good offers already. What are you going to need to show during the AAU season that you can get those bigger schools to offer you a scholarship?

Steffon Mitchell: I have a different role on my AAU team than I do here. Here, I stay around the post area, but in AAU, I am one of the point guards and bring it up and breaking people down, but with our team, we don't really have 6-8 or 6-9 guys like we do on my AAU team, so I have to work on my post game and stuff like that to help us win games.

Gopher Hole: Do you think that shows that you are a little bit more versatile player than you get to show with your high school team?

Steffon Mitchell: Yes, but any team that is interested in me will come to my AAU games and see what else I can do.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to play Division I basketball?

Steffon Mitchell: It would be pretty fun. It has always been my dream to play Division I basketball.

Gopher Hole: How much having your dad, who is a basketball coach, has helped your love of the game?

Steffon Mitchell: I think that is the main thing. He helped me at a very young age. How to get my shot right. How to play defense. Everything that I am today is a big part of what my dad did.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to maybe have the chance to play for the home state school?

Steffon Mitchell: I think that would be pretty fun. My dad and my family would love for me to come back and stay home and some of my friends, too. They would love to come and watch a game or two.

I think the Gophers should get this guy. He has a nice stroke.

I think the Gophers should get this guy. He has a nice stroke.

Agreed. Mitchell has always been very impressive to me. 6'8, pure stroke with range out to 18-20 feet, decent speed, good ball-handler, solid on the boards. Would make a great stretch 4 for the Gophers IMO.

Agreed. Mitchell has always been very impressive to me. 6'8, pure stroke with range out to 18-20 feet, decent speed, good ball-handler, solid on the boards. Would make a great stretch 4 for the Gophers IMO.

He carrier Shakopee tonight in a good game. He'll make a good 3 or 4 I would think.

Ryan James in the latest One and Done podcast that Mitchell would "blow up" in terms of offers on the Spring/Summer circuit. It seems like there are a lot of interesting 3/4 prospects in Minnesota the next few years: Mitchell, Theo John, and Mar. It's nice to see the Minnesota basketball scene rebound and start producing multiple high major guys every year. Their was a little lull during Tubby's tenure where the state just wasn't producing high major talent (or maybe more accurately guys that high majors recognized as high major talent in the case of a Nate Wolters) at the levels it had previously.

He kind of reminds me of Michael Hurt actually. Similar height and build, not overly athletic but a nice lefty stroke and knows how to score points.

I watched a bit of the Shakopee game yesterday and was very impressed with this kid

He can score, no doubt about that, not sure about being a Big Ten player, at this point he would provide a lot of the skills Joey King has with many of the same limitiations. He's not that physical, I think he would have the same trouble rebounding that King has in the Big Ten.

Mitchell projects as a 3 in college. He is not a 4 like Joey King. Mitchell rebounds very well for a 3. It appears he is playing out of position for Shakopee due to their lack of size. When I watched AAU last summer Mitchell seemed to play a lot of point forward and do a lot of ball handling. Ryan James thinks Mitchell is going to make a big splash with the high majors this summer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mitchell projects as a 3 in college. He is not a 4 like Joey King. Mitchell rebounds very well for a 3. It appears he is playing out of position for Shakopee due to their lack of size. When I watched AAU last summer Mitchell seemed to play a lot of point forward and do a lot of ball handling. Ryan James thinks Mitchell is going to make a big splash with the high majors this summer.

Those who have seen him more, do you think he has the foot speed/quickness to guard 3s in the big ten? Last night was the first time I saw him and that was the auestion I left with (without a strong lean in either direction)

Mitchell had enough quickness and length to stick with Gary Trent Jr. His length makes up for not being ultra quick. Seems to have very good footwork and defensive technique.

Mitchell had enough quickness and length to stick with Gary Trent Jr. His length makes up for not being ultra quick. Seems to have very good footwork and defensive technique.

That's the big thing, he's probably not quick enough to hang with B1G 3s but his length could make up for some other shortcomings.

Those who have seen him more, do you think he has the foot speed/quickness to guard 3s in the big ten? Last night was the first time I saw him and that was the auestion I left with (without a strong lean in either direction)

He is quick enough to match up well drawing assignments against either bigger SF or SF with less speed and quickness. On the other end, when playing a team with a smaller or less physical 4, Mitchell would definitely be able to slide to the Power Forward position too and take on that defensive assignment. I also see him grabbing 5-6 rebounds per game in college. He will end up at a high major school or a top mid-major when all is said and done.

Agreed on the playing out of position.
He said in that article he handles the ball more in AAU.

Looks like Mitchell had another solid game in their 3rd place 77-64 win 22 points 5-9 fg 12-15 ft and 8 rebs.

Here is a video that was posted on Twitter of Steffon Mitchell's junior year high school highlights.

Much work is needed before he is a bonafide Big10 player. UW is not going to move on this early. They know what they need to see and he knows what he has to work on. The state is in a down cycle and a great coach will be recruiting nationally.

#3 must really like playing with him. How many easy buckets has Mitchell set him up for?

Mitchell appears to have an eye for the open player when doubled.

Looks like a combo forward on offense. Great lefty stroke, great ball handler, great step back shooter. s he 6-6 or closer to 6-8? Looks to be about 200-210. Not very athletic but highly skilled. Would probably have to guard pf's in B1G. Nowhere quick enough to guard 3's. But If he gets to 230lbs, I would think he would be a fine rebounder at pf.
247 sports has him as a 6-5 175lb sf. He looks much bigger than that!

Looks like a combo forward on offense. Great lefty stroke, great ball handler, great step back shooter. s he 6-6 or closer to 6-8? Looks to be about 200-210. Not very athletic but highly skilled. Would probably have to guard pf's in B1G. Nowhere quick enough to guard 3's. But If he gets to 230lbs, I would think he would be a fine rebounder at pf.
247 sports has him as a 6-5 175lb sf. He looks much bigger than that!

Agree. Speedwise, would need play the 4 on defense, but has a nice stroke that can stretch a defense.

athletism high school vs B1G leve.

When i say a player isnt athletic, I am talking from the prospective of B1G basketball and specifically what Patino's gophers are trying to do. Compared to the average MN 6-7/6-8 basketball player Mitchell is athletic. Whereas previous coaches had a few athletic guys and more skilled players, it seems Patino's freshmen are more athletic and less skilled. You would love both, but those are mostly 5star guys. You can take a skilled player just dont start them with 2-3 other unathletic players if your goal is to press and get after it.

It looks like he got up enough on this dunk. He is certainly more athletic than Michael Hurt, not to take anything away from Michael.
https://twitter.com/NorthstarHoops/status/589598605540864000

People make too much of above the rim athletisism. What is much more important is the lateral quickness of a player.

Top Bottom