STrib: Andre Hollins has been held scoreless for 66 consecutive minutes

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Amelia:

Andre Hollins is off again. The senior has now been held scoreless for 66 consecutive minutes, dating back to the first half of the Penn State game last Sunday. The most discouraging thing about that is he's seemed to disappear in that time, failing to get involved offensively today and not trying other things to get his game going -- like getting to the foul line, Pitino pointed out after the game. Minnesota will need both his shooting touch and a better defensive presence vs. Ohio State tomorrow, to roll past the Buckeyes.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/296011351.html

Go Gophers!!

Spot on here.
Super disappointing to see that little. I think this is what drives Pitino crazy and is indicative of our seniors...it just looks like there is no sense of urgency or deep desire every second they're on the floor. At times when engaged it can be lights out for him and for Walker, and at others they just disappear and don't care. Something doesn't smell right

Spot on here.
Super disappointing to see that little. I think this is what drives Pitino crazy and is indicative of our seniors...it just looks like there is no sense of urgency or deep desire every second they're on the floor. At times when engaged it can be lights out for him and for Walker, and at others they just disappear and don't care. Something doesn't smell right

I've had the same feeling.

I'm looking forward to next year. It's going to have a different feel.

Precisely why we went on our run in the second half with NO seniors on the floor. The underclassmen played with more urgency and like "it mattered". I appreciate all Andre has done for the Gophers over the years, but it appears, he has checked out. Hope he proves me wrong today.

Andre, EE, and Mo are pretty much reflections of the coach who recruited them. Thankfully, we can finally say that era will officially be over when these three graduate.

Andre has always been streaky, it shouldn't be a surprise to fans anymore. To those saying he has "checked out", I completely disagree. I think he still cares and is always a good teammate. He's relying too much on his outside shot right now. When it goes in like in the first half against Penn State, it's great. When he's off he is ineffective. Pitino is right that he has to be more aggressive and get to the line. He could score 30 tonight or he could score 5.

I think as a fan, I had unreasonable expectations for Andre and that's why it's so frustrating to watch him now. My instinct is to criticize, but in reality I think he's a good kid who just isn't as good a player as we thought he was going to be nor is he a great fit for Pitino's system.

Being a PG in Tubby's system was a good fit for him. He could get comfortable having the ball in his hands all the time, but not having the obligation to create. Just pass it to the high post, receive kick-outs for open jumpers, and (most of all) get fouled a lot just by virtue of handling the ball.

During his cold spell earlier in the season I said we should move him to a sixth man role. Then he got hot and that looked ridiculous. But he is the kind of streaky scorer that, on a good team, would be a sixth man type player.

Pitino did the right thing last night not having Andre in the game at the end. He did not play well at all, but he has not checked out. Won't be surprised at all if he gets at least 20 tonight.

The good news is returning players scored 78 percent of our points last night, the bad news was that 4 seniors got the rest. We will need (and I expect) "good Andre" tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andre has always been streaky, it shouldn't be a surprise to fans anymore. To those saying he has "checked out", I completely disagree. I think he still cares and is always a good teammate. He's relying too much on his outside shot right now. When it goes in like in the first half against Penn State, it's great. When he's off he is ineffective. Pitino is right that he has to be more aggressive and get to the line. He could score 30 tonight or he could score 5.

I remember Voshon Lenard being the same way.

I love Andre - and I think his girlfriend Rachel is cute (why does she look familiar?) - but we have to be honest about his performance and abilities. He doesn't have much beyond his jump shot right now. He has trouble creating space, trouble beating people to a spot on the floor or the goal; he seems to play smaller or shorter than he is. He has an inch on Mason, and Nate doesn't have a quick first step, but Nate has been able to get to the basket. Andre has not.

The good news is returning players scored 78 percent of our points last night, the bad news was that 4 seniors got the rest. We will need (and I expect) "good Andre" tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the returning players scored 78% of our points last night, who besides the 4 seniors would have scored the rest? :confused:

Andre, EE, and Mo are pretty much reflections of the coach who recruited them. Thankfully, we can finally say that era will officially be over when these three graduate.

I don't think any of them will be going to the College Basketball Hall of Fame.

Is there a reason that everyone assumes next year Pitino's guys are gonna be more try-hard types?

Yah! It's called optimism, something of which there is very little of on GopherHole.

I don't think its fair to say there is very little optimism. Most of us predicted 4-5 more B1G wins than the team got this year, so I would say we were very optimistic relative to the reality of the situation.

I don't think its fair to say there is very little optimism. Most of us predicted 4-5 more B1G wins than the team got this year, so I would say we were very optimistic relative to the reality of the situation.

The answer I gave was to littlerichards comment about next year.

Is there a reason that everyone assumes next year Pitino's guys are gonna be more try-hard types?

It's not "try hard". The guys we have are try hard types- all 4 seniors. They are all limited for different reasons- Andre by size and speed, Mathieu by size and jump shot quality, Mo by his vertical and EE by his lack of athleticism. All of these guys seem like good, try hard guys to me. Losing takes its toll on the psyche and I think Andre has lost the swagger he found late in year one and early in year 2. He used to have a nice change of pace that got him by guys and also the fade away jumper that was tough to stop but now we don't see much of that because those seem to come when he is confident.

The optimism about the new guys is that they are advertised as guys who are a step up in athleticism and thus have a higher ceiling. Can we be sure? Nope. Can we be optimistic? Sure.

Nothing better than the per game re-writing of opinions on our current players and staff.

Love ya GH!!!!

Arriel McDonald was just on 1500 talking Gophers. His take is a common one here: the team doesn't have mental toughness. He said that Clem Haskins was a SOB everyday, and that hard nosed-ness rubbed off on the team.

Nothing better than the per game re-writing of opinions on our current players and staff. Love ya GH!!!!

+1! It's ridiculous!

Andre has been the model student athlete for this program putting up career numbers up there with the all time gopher greats. All of the sudden he's had bad body language for two years and is a reflection of our former coach.

Two words. Josh Martin.

That's why every year I choose to see what recruits can actually do on a basketball court in a college game before I gleefully pee my pants at the time of their NLI signature. Martin was the Second Coming last year at this time & everybody loved him largely because he stroked our egos by tweeting nice things about becoming a Gopher, now look where he is. We have no idea whether the guys coming in will be the next Andre Hollins, Nate Mason, Zach Lofton, (hopefully not) Josh Martin, or Daquein McNeil.

Top Bottom