PiPress: Gophers need Nate Mason to take next step next season

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

The last time Nate Mason played Rutgers, the University of Minnesota's first-round foe in the Big Ten tournament Wednesday night, he was making just the second start of his college basketball career. That was in January.

The freshman guard has gained a lot of confidence in that role since then, enough that the Gophers are hoping he can help lead the team next season.

"As much as we are excited about some of the younger guys we're bringing in, they are going to go through their lumps," second-year Minnesota coach Richard Pitino said. "Nate Mason, in my opinion, has had a very good freshman season. He hasn't really hit a wall at all. Most freshmen do that, so we have to expect that next year, for sure."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_27693561/gophers-need-freshman-guard-nate-mason-take-next

Go Gophers!!

Mason has a chance to finish with the best scoring average for a Minnesota freshman since Kris Humphries led the Big Ten with 21.7 points in 2003-04.

This surprised me.........from the article.

Impressive Season for Mason in Recent Gopher Freshman History

Freshman scoring, like the last 10 or so years.
Mason right now 9.8 ppg
Andre 8.7
Hoffarber 8.4
Sampson III 6.3
Joe Coleman 5.8
Colton Iverson 5.4
Devoe Joseph 5.0
Abdul Shamala 5.0
Austin Hollins 4.5
Chip Armelin 4.4
Al Nolen 4.3
Rodney Williams 4.2
Mo Walker 3.7
Russell Westbrook 3.5
Bakary 2.3
Cobbs 2.1
Ahamnsisi 2.1
Wally Ellenson 2.0
some other guys red shirted

So, Mason certainly brings hope for the future. If several of the highly rated guys coming next year perform comparably we'd be on our way. Bakary at 2.3 with more minutes and experience, I think can take a jump
as well.

Freshman scoring, like the last 10 or so years. Mason right now 9.8 ppg Andre 8.7 Hoffarber 8.4 Sampson III 6.3 Joe Coleman 5.8 Colton Iverson 5.4 Devoe Joseph 5.0 Abdul Shamala 5.0 Austin Hollins 4.5 Chip Armelin 4.4 Al Nolen 4.3 Rodney Williams 4.2 Mo Walker 3.7 Russell Westbrook 3.5 Bakary 2.3 Cobbs 2.1 Ahamnsisi 2.1 Wally Ellenson 2.0 some other guys red shirted So, Mason certainly brings hope for the future. If several of the highly rated guys coming next year perform comparably we'd be on our way. Bakary at 2.3 with more minutes and experience, I think can take a jump as well.

I'm trying to figure out why these are all Gopher players and then Russell Westbrook :)

Freshman scoring, like the last 10 or so years.
Mason right now 9.8 ppg
Andre 8.7
Hoffarber 8.4
Sampson III 6.3
Joe Coleman 5.8
Colton Iverson 5.4
Devoe Joseph 5.0
Abdul Shamala 5.0
Austin Hollins 4.5
Chip Armelin 4.4
Al Nolen 4.3
Rodney Williams 4.2
Mo Walker 3.7
Russell Westbrook 3.5
Bakary 2.3
Cobbs 2.1
Ahamnsisi 2.1
Wally Ellenson 2.0
some other guys red shirted

So, Mason certainly brings hope for the future. If several of the highly rated guys coming next year perform comparably we'd be on our way. Bakary at 2.3 with more minutes and experience, I think can take a jump
as well.

Wholly s!#$ We had Russell Westbrook?

Nate is just about 3 times better than Russell Westbrook. Next year is going to be fun. you gotta love the inferences you can make from statistics

Top Bottom