Norwood Teague on the Dan Barreiro Show 3/4

EG#9

Reaction score
I listened to this interview a few days ago and thought a recap would be of interest to most, especially now that the regular season is over. It's important to note we've had two disappointing home performances post this interview.

Norwood is in Florida and Dan teases him about spending the whole Winter down there fundraising. Norwood cops to being in Florida for about a week and a half. He was headed to Chicago early in the morning for the women's tournament opener.

Some women's talk about Amanda Zahui B, Norwood says she has 3 things you can't teach: hands, feet and touch. Banham is "didn't go over the water mark" and is fine to come back and she's committed to doing that.

Talk about Kentucky and who Norwood thinks can beat them. Norwood states that it's not a specific team that can beat them, but a hot team. Dan and Norwood reference 'Nova shooting 78% against Georgetown and Norwood thinks it will take a team that gets really hot to beat them.

Talk about the Gophers having 2 games left and what's possible for the team. Norwood says they'd have to catch fire, win the next 2 games then win some in the tournament. He was looking this morning at how many games they would need to win in the tournament to get in (obviously it's now ALL of them). "Richard behind the scenes the way he's running the program the way they're recruiting, we're in great shape, now Richard more than anyone else wishes we had a better year, there's nobody who's more competitive than him, but we've had our moments, we won in East Lansing that hasn't been done since '97".

Barriero: I've heard Richard say, in a moment of candor, ok well even next year we might have to take a step back to ultimately go forward. You look at the roster, you're going to have to have some people come in immediately to be a factor would you not agree?

Teague: Yeah I would. One thing I told Richard is I feel like the reset button begins and the rebuilding process beings now. I know fans don't want to hear this, because the way our roster was ummm was built when he got it the rebuild really starts next year and um that's just the way it is. The change when it occurred we had a lot of kids still on the roster and he was trying to fill some hole and now he can really start that process we'll be very young he's got some kids coming in that have pretty darned good reputations. And, um, we'll see how it plays out, the two kids down low are getting better, so will keep chopping and there's still some room left in recruiting this year and he's constantly out doing it. And you know Richard, even I've said some things about "hey what about this.." and he says listen let's don't take shortcuts lets build this thing the right way and I love hearing that from him.

That ends the Gopher talk, they talk Freshman eligibility then Dan ask who will be a better pro between Towns and Okafor and Teague answer Okafor because of his hands. Teague had what was hinted by Barreiro as a big donor meeting to go as the conversation ended.

My own thoughts: Teague certainly sounded impressed with Richard and it would surprise me if the last two games changed that. To me, the line that "rebuilding" (it's building, you can't rebuild from teams that haven't been over .500 in conference any time recently) begins now is really lame and looks even worse today than it did prior to the last two home games. Obviously it would have been better to just go young as soon as possible rather than go 14-22 in conference play over the past two seasons, but that's hindsight. It's really, really tough to do much worse than 6-12 in conference play. Nebraska has 5 wins this year for example and in 2013-14 (a much, much better year especially at the top) only Purdue finished worse than 6-12.

Thanks so much for the recap. Sounds like the Jerry Kill motto - not building a foundation in sand. I thought we could be worse next year, it will all depend on how the recruits end up panning out...but it sounds like he's preparing fans for that. If we do, it will be tough to keep our non die-hard fanbase engaged.

Thanks for the recap EG#9. I appreciate it.

The "reset button" mantra is probably reality, but its hard to take, especially for the casual fan and recruit. Every year we don't make the Tournament, its another year where we have to recruit with an already unproven staff, now one that would be going on three years with no Tourney appearance (that assumes next year is a "reset" year, and not a growth year).

Reset year or not, going 4-5 at home in the Big Ten, and getting swept by Penn State and Northwestern (including 0-2 at home) should never happen, let alone in a non-reset year such as this one.

Go Gophers!!

I'd say that the "building" or the rebuilding, or whatever it is, began with the recruitment of Nate Mason...and now that I've seen his improvement curve, Bakary Konate.

Next year's team will be young but talented - and still a chance to recruit more talent in that class. But the bottom line is this: if he and his staff can't teach defense, rebounding and ball security, it won't matter how much talent you bring in.

Thanks for the recap EG#9. I appreciate it.

The "reset button" mantra is probably reality, but its hard to take, especially for the casual fan and recruit. Every year we don't make the Tournament, its another year where we have to recruit with an already unproven staff, now one that would be going on three years with no Tourney appearance (that assumes next year is a "reset" year, and not a growth year).

Reset year or not, going 4-5 at home in the Big Ten, and getting swept by Penn State and Northwestern (including 0-2 at home) should never happen, let alone in a non-reset year such as this one.

Go Gophers!!

Perfectly stated, Bleed. 4-5 with the conference home schedule we had this season (no Indiana, Maryland, or Michigan State) is unacceptable. Not to mention, yesterday was Penn State's first Big Ten road win.

The future may or may not be bright, still time for that to be determined, but the bottom line is the coaching staff did not maximize the roster they had at their disposal during the Big Ten season. The lone bright spot team-wise, barring a BTT title run, is they beat 2 NCAA qualifiers (Iowa, Michigan State) on their home courts. A NIT (or CBI) championship would do nothing to change the fact this was a disappointing season. Next season I'd like to see us surprise the other way.

If next season is going to be a "reset" as assumed we need to see improvement such as Northwestern this year during the conference season on where this exactly might be headed. At times this year I thought we saw on the defensive end with the pressure defense (at Iowa) what this might look like.

Next year's team will be young but talented - and still a chance to recruit more talent in that class. But the bottom line is this: if he and his staff can't teach defense, rebounding and ball security, it won't matter how much talent you bring in.

Well said. I don't care what kind of "system" he has if it doesn't stress certain critical dimensions. I thought the ball security improved over the season but the other two remained nagging problems throughout.

As I stated elsewhere, I see our program in something similar to reset. I see us in rehab. Expectations much be exchanged for a process mentality, and calling losses "inexcusable" is meaningless.
In rehab, there is an acceptance & recognition of the situation. All focus goes toward rational assessment of what is possible now, not what should be now. I see people fail in rehab due to an inability to accept where they are and their discouragement defeats them. We see some of that in this years team, and Pitino needs to be stronger in doing exactly what he has said that people object to - protecting the team from irrational expectations.
I see others excell because they have the guts to incorporate each forward step and not let the ultimate goal crush them and dissuade them.

It's a tough mindset which, yes, I am sure much of our fan base is not up for but there it is.

As I stated elsewhere, I see our program in something similar to reset. I see us in rehab. Expectations much be exchanged for a process mentality, and calling losses "inexcusable" is meaningless.
In rehab, there is an acceptance & recognition of the situation. All focus goes toward rational assessment of what is possible now, not what should be now. I see people fail in rehab due to an inability to accept where they are and their discouragement defeats them. We see some of that in this years team, and Pitino needs to be stronger in doing exactly what he has said that people object to - protecting the team from irrational expectations.
I see others excell because they have the guts to incorporate each forward step and not let the ultimate goal crush them and dissuade them.

It's a tough mindset which, yes, I am sure much of our fan base is not up for but there it is.

I'm still in the Denial Stage. :eek:

It's really, really tough to do much worse than 6-12 in conference play. Nebraska has 5 wins this year for example and in 2013-14 (a much, much better year especially at the top) only Purdue finished worse than 6-12.

Well, three teams had fewer than 6 conference wins this year. Looking at the final distribution of wins and losses, I'd say this year's distribution is fairly typical of the conference.

I still don't buy the Gopher Hole group think of the conference being much worse this year. The conference had three top teams last year (Wisconsin and the two Michigan schools); its has two this year. Rutgers is likely a worse team than any conference team last year. Other than that I don't see much difference. Some teams just switched places. Sagarin has the conference at #3 and the difference between its rating number and the #2 Big East is virtually meaningless. Both the Big 12 (#1) and Big East are smaller conferences that include less variation of quality whereas the Big Ten and ACC have more variation, but conferences' weak teams aren't involved at tournament time.

I'd say that the "building" or the rebuilding, or whatever it is, began with the recruitment of Nate Mason...and now that I've seen his improvement curve, Bakary Konate.

Well said.

I want to see how Pitino's recruits respond to those three areas. This years seniors are an enigma as to their potential vs their production. I need to see better rotations in half-court defense, much greater positioning and desire to grab the rock off a rebound, and quickness under control. This year we have been far too "helter-skelter" both defensively and offensively. Quickness...under control...is important to see over the next couple years.

Thanks so much for the recap. Sounds like the Jerry Kill motto - not building a foundation in sand. I thought we could be worse next year, it will all depend on how the recruits end up panning out...but it sounds like he's preparing fans for that. If we do, it will be tough to keep our non die-hard fanbase engaged.

I'm not so sure about next year being doom and gloom. Having more athletic guards and better defensive guards counts for a lot, in my opinion. I've read countless times that Dorsey is an elite defender. McBrayer and Johnson are very athletic and have a chance to be very good defenders. Simply put, Hollins is a liability on defense. So are Morris, King and Walker. I'm hopeful the to young big guys improve on defense. They certainly have the size and athleticism.

In my opinion, it's not un-realistic to think we will be a much better defensive team next year. And after all, that's half the game.

Let me know when the first meeting is scheduled.

Would advise not giving Gopher basketball another thought until practice starts in October, but of course I won't be able to follow my own advice. We're all gluttons for punishment. We'll have the greatest recruiting class in Gopher history & have 'em in the 2016 Final Four by the time the season opener rolls around.

I find it interesting that many of you think 4 freshmen will equate to a better season?

I'm not so sure about next year being doom and gloom. Having more athletic guards and better defensive guards counts for a lot, in my opinion. I've read countless times that Dorsey is an elite defender. McBrayer and Johnson are very athletic and have a chance to be very good defenders. Simply put, Hollins is a liability on defense. So are Morris, King and Walker. I'm hopeful the to young big guys improve on defense. They certainly have the size and athleticism.

In my opinion, it's not un-realistic to think we will be a much better defensive team next year. And after all, that's half the game.

I really hope you are correct, Balds. I'd love to be sitting here at this time next year and say - that Balds was right, we had a great season! I just know every recruit is advertised as the greatest thing since sliced bread...and have been disappointed way too many times. Hopefully these kids fit Pitino's system better, but I am preparing myself in case.

The one thing that we can't really predict is chemistry too. Look at the Hagen/Lawson/ARob team, aside from Grier, not very talented, but they were scrappy and they "clicked". Hopefully that's the case with the new group too!

Shall we meet at Surly's? In tough cases like this medication can be helpful during some phases.

A taproom sounds right! I say we forbid coffee and cigarettes and forgo the sappy introductions: "my name is Spanky and I'm a Gopherholic". :p

Have to go back quite a ways to find a worse defense.
2014-15 PA/G:67.3 (197th of 351)
2013-14 PA/G:67.7 (112th of 351)
2012-13 PA/G:62.6 (62nd of 347)
2011-12 PA/G:64.8 (102nd of 344)
2010-11 PA/G:67.0 (143rd of 345)
2009-10 PA/G:64.1 (59th of 334)
2008-09 PA/G:61.6 (36th of 330)
2007-08 PA/G:63.2 (51st of 328)
2006-07 PA/G:66.2 (112th of 325)
2005-06 PA/G:64.6 (76th of 326)
2004-05 PA/G:62.9 (38th of 326)
2003-04 PA/G:71.7 (239th of 326)

Have to go back quite a ways to find a worse defense. 2014-15 PA/G:67.3 (197th of 351) 2013-14 PA/G:67.7 (112th of 351) 2012-13 PA/G:62.6 (62nd of 347) 2011-12 PA/G:64.8 (102nd of 344) 2010-11 PA/G:67.0 (143rd of 345) 2009-10 PA/G:64.1 (59th of 334) 2008-09 PA/G:61.6 (36th of 330) 2007-08 PA/G:63.2 (51st of 328) 2006-07 PA/G:66.2 (112th of 325) 2005-06 PA/G:64.6 (76th of 326) 2004-05 PA/G:62.9 (38th of 326) 2003-04 PA/G:71.7 (239th of 326)

FWIW, points per game may not be the best measure. Points per possession would probably be much more accurate/telling.

I really hope you are correct, Balds. I'd love to be sitting here at this time next year and say - that Balds was right, we had a great season! I just know every recruit is advertised as the greatest thing since sliced bread...and have been disappointed way too many times. Hopefully these kids fit Pitino's system better, but I am preparing myself in case.

The one thing that we can't really predict is chemistry too. Look at the Hagen/Lawson/ARob team, aside from Grier, not very talented, but they were scrappy and they "clicked". Hopefully that's the case with the new group too!

I don't know about a great season, but I think 9-9 in the B1G is a reasonable goal. I agree on Freshman being unpredictable, but I look it at this way: Could they be worse than Hollins and Mathieu were this year? Sure they could, but those two were fairly awful for large stretches of the season. Almost certainly they will be a vast improvement on defense, which could have translated into several more wins this year. Recruiting is far from over. I'm not ruling out bringing in an impact PF via Juco/Grad Transfer.

I don't know about a great season, but I think 9-9 in the B1G is a reasonable goal. I agree on Freshman being unpredictable, but I look it at this way: Could they be worse than Hollins and Mathieu were this year? Sure they could, but those two were fairly awful for large stretches of the season. Almost certainly they will be a vast improvement on defense, which could have translated into several more wins this year. Recruiting is far from over. I'm not ruling out bringing in an impact PF via Juco/Grad Transfer.

Gophers also have a VERY favorable schedule next year.

I think what Andre did outside of shooting is greatly undervalued and Mo will be missed as a scoring threat when the offense isn't clicking. That said, a freshman over achieving and/or an impact transfer could make things very interesting.

I'm not really going to worry about results until year 4-5 with Pitino, he's a younger coach presumably with a high ceiling that is in his first major job.

I imagine the team he wants to coach looks drastically different than the teams that have taken the floor the last two years. I'm going to let him at least get his guys in before I make judgements about his ability.

Year 3 could either be a great year of development for the young guys to really step up and contribute, or it could be pretty ugly if they need more seasoning. Too early to say without seeing a lot of the recruits play.

I would expect them to be above .500 in conference by year 4, and challenging for top three in year 5.

FWIW, points per game may not be the best measure. Points per possession would probably be much more accurate/telling.

Maybe GW will see this and throw some numbers out.

Here are a couple items, Scher. Opp effective FG % against the Gophers 50.7% #243
Opp 3 Point % against the Gophers 37.2% #304

I don't know about Dorsey being an elite defender next year, he has the quickness to be very good but his freshman year, I doubt it. If he is as good his first year as Hollins was this year I will be very surprised.

Top Bottom