1 week from Selection Sunday, 27 teams battling for 16 bids

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Factoring in the 32 automatic bids, 1 week from Selection Sunday I have 27 teams battling for 16 remaining at-large bids. Keep in mind, some of these are almost virtual locks to make the field of 68, while others are healthy long shots. I will lock in both Cincinnati and Ohio State if they win today.

In RPI order, here are the 27 with still some work to do:

26. Colorado State
30. Buffalo
31. Temple
33. Ohio State
34. Dayton
35. Saint John's
36. Old Dominion
38. Xavier
39. Cincinnati
40. Georgia
42. BYU
43. Texas
45. Oklahoma State
46. NC State
47. Tulsa
48. LSU
51. Ole Miss
52. UCLA
54. Texas A&M
55. Richmond
56. Purdue
57. Indiana
58. Stanford
61. Illinois
62. Miami
67. Murray State
72. Rhode Island

I'm sorry but Purdue is and should be a lock. 12-6 in conference with 20 wins overall. They are 6-2 against teams listed above battling for those 16 spots.

LOL - Buffalo has an RPI of 30. They are 21-9 with ZERO top 50 wins. Their best win is #85 Kent State. They have 5 top 100 wins - Kent State twice, Bowling Green twice, and South Dakota State. ZERO wins over power 5 teams - but hey....they played Kentucky and Wisconsin and a bunch of other road games because nobody will play them in Buffalo.

I'm sorry but Purdue is and should be a lock. 12-6 in conference with 20 wins overall. They are 6-2 against teams listed above battling for those 16 spots.

LOL - Buffalo has an RPI of 30. They are 21-9 with ZERO top 50 wins. Their best win is #85 Kent State. They have 5 top 100 wins - Kent State twice, Bowling Green twice, and South Dakota State. ZERO wins over power 5 teams - but hey....they played Kentucky and Wisconsin and a bunch of other road games because nobody will play them in Buffalo.

Buffalo's not getting in, don't worry. I'm listing them only because of the RPI. I'm being inclusive at this point, not exclusive.

I like the Boilers' resume better than Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio State. To be safe I'd like to see them win 1 more to lock them in. Might be in anyways, but I can't quite call 'em a lock yet.

Buffalo's not getting in, don't worry. I'm listing them only because of the RPI. I'm being inclusive at this point, not exclusive.

I like the Boilers' resume better than Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio State. To be safe I'd like to see them win 1 more to lock them in. Might be in anyways, but I can't quite call 'em a lock yet.

Oh - I know. Just pointing out the huge flaw in the RPI.

Factoring in the 32 automatic bids, 1 week from Selection Sunday I have 27 teams battling for 16 remaining at-large bids. Keep in mind, some of these are almost virtual locks to make the field of 68, while others are healthy long shots. I will lock in both Cincinnati and Ohio State if they win today.

In RPI order, here are the 27 with still some work to do:

26. Colorado State
30. Buffalo
31. Temple
33. Ohio State
34. Dayton
35. Saint John's
36. Old Dominion
38. Xavier
39. Cincinnati
40. Georgia
42. BYU
43. Texas
45. Oklahoma State
46. NC State
47. Tulsa
48. LSU
51. Ole Miss
52. UCLA
54. Texas A&M
55. Richmond
56. Purdue
57. Indiana
58. Stanford
61. Illinois
62. Miami
67. Murray State - OUT
72. Rhode Island

The underlined ones I think can go in.
They won't drop much in RPI and play in big conferences.

And Murray State is toast.

Oh - I know. Just pointing out the huge flaw in the RPI.

There isn't a flaw in the RPI. The RPI is always 100% accurate in producing the same numbers the formula intendeds to provide. It's a formula that produces a number.
That's like saying there is a flaw with 2+2=4. It's math and unless Buffalo was erroneously given a 31 ranking when they should be 77 and the formula messed up somehow, you can't say there is a flaw in the RPI itself.

The flaw would be if you say "RPI is all tha matters for all teams to determine who gets in. (Or who should get in)."

The preferred analysis would be to say "RPI ranking is key for the major conference teams. If they are 50 or higher and not named Missouri or Minnesota in 2014, you get in".

There are flaws in how people intrepret the RPI, but the formula itself always does was the formula is calculated to do.

Top Bottom