Pitino: "expectations should only matter within your program."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib Q&A:

Q This is just your third year as a college basketball head coach. What are the biggest things you’ve learned so far, and in what areas are you still figuring things out?

A I think coaching in the Big Ten as opposed to at [Florida International] is completely different. Every game that we play is on national TV of some sort. That part of it was an adjustment for me, kind of being that focal point where any time you show emotion the camera is on you. Anytime you say or do something it’s going to be scrutinized. … The coaches in this league certainly make you better. The biggest thing that the Big Ten does for you is it challenges you and brings the most out of you.

Q There’s a honeymoon period in a coach’s first season, and you earned it with a 25-win season. How have you handled criticism in what many consider a disappointing second year?

A I think this year more than anything has taught me that expectations should only matter within your program. That doesn’t mean I don’t respect the media or respect people’s opinion or our program. I certainly do. But at the end of the day, none of it can matter. We’ve had our fair share of criticism, but what if we hit a three at the buzzer and we win a few of those games? Are we all good coaches again? … Everybody is not going to be able to understand what we’re doing or what we’re going through, but as long as everybody in our program does, that’s all we can really worry about. And that’s the nature of sports everywhere.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/295511881.html

Go Gophers!!

Excellent response at the end.

I have said from the get-go that is the TEAM that sets to meet expectations.

If the purpose of the team is to meet fans' and media's expectations, every fan group except the National Champions will be disappointed.

"I think this year more than anything has taught me that expectations should only matter within your program."

Someone help a dummy like me out, what does that mean?

"I think this year more than anything has taught me that expectations should only matter within your program."

So the fans that pay your salary should not have any expectations of Wins and Losses.....I bet season ticket holders love to hear this....Enjoy a couple more years here Richard.

So the fans that pay your salary should not have any expectations of Wins and Losses.....I bet season ticket holders love to hear this....Enjoy a couple more years here Richard.

Total b.s. imho.

Fans can have hopes and wishes and daily bowel movements. Coach works with what he has. The only thing he can do is improve his roster. That is his job now.

"I think this year more than anything has taught me that expectations should only matter within your program." So the fans that pay your salary should not have any expectations of Wins and Losses.....I bet season ticket holders love to hear this....Enjoy a couple more years here Richard.

The only expectations that matter as far as Richard's job are those of his boss, the AD.

Total b.s. imho.

Fans can have hopes and wishes and daily bowel movements. Coach works with what he has. The only thing he can do is improve his roster. That is his job now.

In MAJOR college sports a coaches job is to recruit the finest players he can and the win the most games possible with that talent....If a coach does not elevate the program to meet the fan base's expectations, the pressure builds and eventually he/she will be fired or resign ...thats the way it is.

In MAJOR college sports a coaches job is to recruit the finest players he can and the win the most games possible with that talent....If a coach does not elevate the program to meet the fan base's expectations, the pressure builds and eventually he/she will be fired or resign ...thats the way it is.

So, you are saying fire Coach now and move on. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Duke almost did that many years ago.

So, you are saying fire Coach now and move on. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Duke almost did that many years ago.

I didnt say anything about firing the coach now....In a couple of years if he has not elevated the program to a contender in the B10 he will not be here.

Ask Tubby what Norwood's expectations are.

Ask Tubby what Kirby Hocutt's expectations are because if Tubby doesn't turn it around soon he'll be fired from Texas Tech. That team is worse(record wise) this year than last too...

Ask Tubby what Kirby Hocutt's expectations are because if Tubby doesn't turn it around soon he'll be fired from Texas Tech. That team is worse(record wise) this year than last too...

How is this relevant to gopher basketball expectations?

How is this relevant to gopher basketball expectations?

It's definitely not. But you seam to be stuck in the past and it's good to acknowledge that maybe those expectations depend on the person and that pitino has sown promise as a coach while Tubby is and has been clearly on the decline.

Tubby had 6 years. If Pitino has 6 years and still hasn't had an above 0.500 big ten season I'm sure he'll be fired too.

Pitino: "expectations should only matter within your program."

It's definitely not. But you seam to be stuck in the past and it's good to acknowledge that maybe those expectations depend on the person and that pitino has sown promise as a coach while Tubby is and has been clearly on the decline.

Tubby had 6 years. If Pitino has 6 years and still hasn't had an above 0.500 big ten season I'm sure he'll be fired too.

Not stuck in the past. I wanted him gone. All I did was point out that our AD's expectations are.

I have said from the get-go that is the TEAM that sets to meet expectations.

If the purpose of the team is to meet fans' and media's expectations, every fan group except the National Champions will be disappointed.

So you think the fans, let alone the media, expected Clemson, Loyola, Colorado, TCU, DePaul, Northwestern, etc etc to win the national championship?

Which of those fans are you referring to? Not all fans have the same 'expectations'. Some expect to be undefeated every year. Can't satisfy them all.

News flash------you're not as important as you think you are.

People like you should never be in charge of anything.

Why shouldn't fans have expectations? This team is exactly the same team minus Austin Hollins. This team was expected to take the next step after winning 25 games and a NIT Championship. They have enough upperclassman that this should have been expected. But these seniors for the most part, all regressed. Pitino has lost me with this answer. Your expectations should always be to make the NCAA Tournament. Are you telling me the program has a different expectation than that? You should start and stop with that expectation. What else is there? I just don't get his answer.

Which of those fans are you referring to? Not all fans have the same 'expectations'. Some expect to be undefeated every year. Can't satisfy them all.

News flash------you're not as important as you think you are.

People like you should never be in charge of anything.

My expectations are not unreasonable.... .500 or better record in the B10 on a consistent basis and a trip to the dance every couple years or so. Look at all the fan base's that have programs that are consistently in contention every year... All I am asking for is an above average team and Richard and the boys fell woefully short.

I don't think Pitino should have said that. However, I get what he is saying. Internally, the staff and the AD know what they have better than we do and what they expect. My guess is that there is a lot more interest in what Pitino has this team looking like in year four than what he accomplishes with this patchwork quilt squad. We may be sitting here thinking that they should have been expected to do a whole lot better with this talent and certainly, if they had won the close games- they would have. This is a process that has to start with solid recruiting classes. We have to get bigger and better players and I think the first steps in that foundation have been laid. Pitino also has to get better at coaching them and prove he can be a coach that pulls the right levers to win his share of the close games.

Anyone that really watched that game today saw Penn State shoot and rebound and score at will right over the top of our guys, often. Countless times Newbill stepped up and hit shots with a defender right in front of him - just shot it right over us as he did again at the end of the game. Andre- and I love the guy- can't do that and few of our players can. Three straight times early in the game our guys drove right into the lane and got stuffed. This is not a mentally or physically strong team. Today they showed up as they have in several games just thinking it would be handed to them because they were better and the other team played harder and took it from them.

My expectations are not unreasonable.... .500 or better record in the B10 on a consistent basis and a trip to the dance every couple years or so. Look at all the fan base's that have programs that are consistently in contention every year... All I am asking for is an above average team and Richard and the boys fell woefully short.

AH, so it's all about YOUR expectations.

I will say "mentally strong" is a myth with any team.

Unless a player is urinating uncontrollably on the floor, I don't know how you say he's not "mentally strong".

A 6'1" player gets stuffed driving to the rim? That makes him mentally weak for some reason?
A guy misses a three pointer instead of nails it like Newbill did? That makes them mentally week?

Some players just have more talent, and this team is short on talent.
Since Bobby Jackson, I'm not sure if we've had a player who has been a lead your team, type of talent.

Unless a player is urinating uncontrollably on the floor, I don't know how you say he's not "mentally strong".

A 6'1" player gets stuffed driving to the rim? That makes him mentally weak for some reason?
A guy misses a three pointer instead of nails it like Newbill did? That makes them mentally week?

Since Bobby Jackson, I'm not sure if we've had a player who has been a lead your team, type of talent.

I would take Vincent Grier/Lawrence Westbrook or Damien Johnson over anyone we have had the last few years

You are mentally weak when you don't show up to play hard against teams that you can beat at home. Finishing 4-5 at home is a sign of being mentally weak. They have marginal talent- I will totally agree with that. That's why showing up today and looking like they didn't think they have to play hard is so maddening. As far as their physical weakness- they lack size and strength, really there are just no physical players on this squad save for perhaps Andre Hollins and Nate Mason who are 6 footers.

You are mentally weak when you don't show up to play hard against teams that you can beat at home. Finishing 4-5 at home is a sign of being mentally weak. They have marginal talent- I will totally agree with that. That's why showing up today and looking like they didn't think they have to play hard is so maddening. As far as their physical weakness- they lack size and strength, really there are just no physical players on this squad save for perhaps Andre Hollins and Nate Mason who are 6 footers.

Agreed, kind of. I would suggest that EE is most definitely "physical", and, perhaps, Konate and Diedhiou are physical players as well. That none of these three guys really doesn't detract from your hypothesis, however.

If Twitter is in any way involved in the conversation of your performance, you're mentally weak.

My simple translation of what Pitino said:

"We expected to get to the NCAA Tournament, but we're not going to say that publically because then we're admitting we failed."

Top Bottom