Syracuse NCAA Infractions

Translation: Syracuse knew what they were doing when they slapped a postseason ban on this year's squad, which appeared headed toward a NIT. NCAA doesn't have the nuts to give them another year of a postseason ban.

Unless there's a postseason ban on these types of things, ho hum. Syracuse will survive, and so will Boeheim.

They also got a reduction of 12 schollies over four years, that is about as close to the death penalty as it gets.

They also got a reduction of 12 schollies over four years, that is about as close to the death penalty as it gets.

They were already over signed and had a really really good class. Be interesting to see what happens there now that they have less room.

It's ridiculous how blatantly different they treat the blue bloods. Boeheim gets off with a slap on the wrist. Ol 'Roy gets off with nothing so far. Bruce Pearl and Clem get run out of town.

It's ridiculous how blatantly different they treat the blue bloods. Boeheim gets off with a slap on the wrist. Ol 'Roy gets off with nothing so far. Bruce Pearl and Clem get run out of town.

The NCAA has to disqualify Secretariat, some way, so lesser fledglings have a chance. :horse:

Clem getting run out of town was basically the response of the U administration and not the NCAA, if Boeheim was at the U he would already be gone.

UNC issues go back well before Roy Williams. We are talking Dean Smith and everyone in between. That case is going back almost 30 years.

UNC issues go back well before Roy Williams. We are talking Dean Smith and everyone in between. That case is going back almost 30 years.

Yep and because of this and the fact that it wasn't just the athletic department I still can't believe the school hasn't lost it's accreditation yet. I guess it's still under review as of November but it should be a no brainer to me that the school lose accreditation and have to reapply for it.

You're right I think this a positive step, and North Carolina will get similar. It takes a long time between when accusations surface and a punishment is enforced. I have a question, does anyone think that Dukes program is corrupt? I know there considered a strong academic school but that's largely due to their law school, and i don't see many fb or bball players going that road. I could see sports less financially responsible could recruit in this area to skew numbers.

Bilas' comments were telling. Very little information about what actually happened. he doesn't think the penalties will hamper the Orange very much. They will still get very good players. They'll just run bench players off. Boheim will appeal vacated wins and probably get them back.

The devastating thing in penalties is post season ban and they dodge that. A self ban in a season they were not going any where is not a penalty. They should have gotten at least one year beyond this one to really impose something harsh if that was their intention.

Agree. Everyone can talk until they're blue in the face that these penalties will hurt (and they will to some extent), but as long as the NCAA tourney carrot is there that's all the recruits will care about. "Severe" penalties without at least a year postseason ban (one not self-imposed by the school) are essentially worthless. Boeheim is a lot like Coach K anyways, he usually has a pretty short bench, so having 8-9 scholarship players instead of 12 or whatever it is isn't going to kill 'em. Next season and the years that follow, Boeheim will be around, Roy Williams will be around, and we'll continue to see both programs regularly in the NCAA Tournament.

Oh my gosh, no, they're going to tell Syracuse fans (and maybe later North Carolina's) that some of their wins don't count. That'll teach 'em.

Agree. Everyone can talk until they're blue in the face that these penalties will hurt (and they will to some extent), but as long as the NCAA tourney carrot is there that's all the recruits will care about. "Severe" penalties without at least a year postseason ban (one not self-imposed by the school) are essentially worthless. Boeheim is a lot like Coach K anyways, he usually has a pretty short bench, so having 8-9 scholarship players instead of 12 or whatever it is isn't going to kill 'em. Next season and the years that follow, Boeheim will be around, Roy Williams will be around, and we'll continue to see both programs regularly in the NCAA Tournament.

Oh my gosh, no, they're going to tell Syracuse fans (and maybe later North Carolina's) that some of their wins don't count. That'll teach 'em.

Same thing with Ohio State BB a few years ago. The penalties never really slowed them down. Those same penalties would have crippled a lesser program.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom