Non emotional coach will not work at the Barn Little Richard.

Reaction score
One of the best games the Gophers played was when you showed some moxie in the Nebraska game. The CEO approach will see you hopping a plane back East in 3 years. You let the officials tonight bitch slap you. I didn't like you attitude on the bench last year and I don't like it this year.
We had enough of it with Tubby.

One of the best games the Gophers played was when you showed some moxie in the Nebraska game. The CEO approach will see you hoping a plane back East in 3 years. You let the officials tonight bitch slap you. I didn't like you attitude on the bench last year and I don't like it this year.
We had enough of it with Tubby.

/sarcasm

I really hope this was a joke. It's a bad one but it makes a lot more sense than if he was being serious.

Obviously a joke. He said "hoping a plane".

You have no idea what you are talking about.

dont take Rupert seriously . He says these goofy things when he forgets to take his Meds.

Boys,boys,boys. Think about it and quit throwing out the baby with the bath water.
A. Did they not play one of their better games of the year when Pitino was being engaged on the sideline?
B. Maybe, just maybe this team would've responded better if Richard had shown more emotion on the sidelines. You had 4 seniors that basically crapped the bed this year. Why?
C. Just me, but I don't gravitate to a CEO type of coach. Played under two coaches in my youth.
One was a coat and tie guy that said during the game: " Sit or your in for..." The other wore the school colors and lost 5 pounds a game working the sidelines and had no voice left after the game.
D. You coach to get the most out of your players both on and off the court. Give me a Clem, a Musselman, and yes even a Dutcher.
Summary: Mark my words, time will tell on Pitino and I don't have to be on or off meds for that statement.

I think the criticisms of your post lie in the fact that your observations do not seem to have any bearing in reality. I was at the game, there was nothing unemotional, disengaged, detached, aloof, disinterested, equivocal, or any other synonym I could think of which would match your description of Pitino's coaching style. He was extremely engaged with his players and the refs the entire night. Fact is his players didn't come out ready to go and ready for a dog fight- and they lost the game in the first 10 minutes- I was happy to see them fight for the next 30.

As somebody in another post indicated...

Kaminsky vs. Walker
Hayes vs King
Dekker vs Morris

No disrespect to our guys intended. It didn't matter how Pitino coached (very engaged) or how ready our players were to start the game (I didn't see a letdown). The Badgers have superior talent and played like a Final Four team during the first ten minutes. They will be a very tough out for anybody if they shoot and play as well as they did for the first ten minutes of last night's game.

Kaminsky vs. Walker
Hayes vs King
Dekker vs Morris

Yes, that's pretty much all you need to realize about a game between Minnesota and Wisconsin to know the outcome.

Kaminsky vs. Walker
Hayes vs King
Dekker vs Morris

No disrespect to our guys intended. It didn't matter how Pitino coached (very engaged) or how ready our players were to start the game (I didn't see a letdown). The Badgers have superior talent and played like a Final Four team during the first ten minutes. They will be a very tough out for anybody if they shoot and play as well as they did for the first ten minutes of last night's game.

But....but...but...what if Pitino threw his jacket?

Pitino was very engaged. It just gets to the point where you are so overmatched and with a couple of your players not focused on defense, it just doesn't pay to keep screaming. It will be a few years before he gets a full compliments of recruits that can play the way he wants. Just like Kill had to deal with in football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screaming at players is a fine line. Some players take it is like water off a ducks back. This team didn't take screaming at well. If had a dollar every I saw Pitino get in someone's face and said player went back to the bench with his shoulders slumped I could have dinner at Murray's. The only kids that seemed oblivious to it was Mason and King.

A. Did they not play one of their better games of the year when Pitino was being engaged on the sideline?

Has anyone else noticed that whenever the ground outside is wet, it tends to rain?

Methinks you have your causation a bit backward. It's very likely that Pitino was highly engaged because the team was playing one of their better games.

Summary: Mark my words, time will tell on Pitino and I don't have to be on or off meds for that statement.
WOW! Risky statement, flywheel! "Time will tell." I'm saving this post so I can come back 5 years from now and shove it in your face. How can you make such a bold prediction?!?

I think the criticisms of your post lie in the fact that your observations do not seem to have any bearing in reality. I was at the game, there was nothing unemotional, disengaged, detached, aloof, disinterested, equivocal, or any other synonym I could think of which would match your description of Pitino's coaching style. He was extremely engaged with his players and the refs the entire night. Fact is his players didn't come out ready to go and ready for a dog fight- and they lost the game in the first 10 minutes- I was happy to see them fight for the next 30.

+1

Ruppert you're searching for answers in the wrong places; they lie elsewhere.

Screaming at players is a fine line. Some players take it is like water off a ducks back. This team didn't taken screaming at well. If had a dollar every I saw Pitino get in someone's face and said player went back to the bench with his shoulders slumped I could have dinner at Murray's. The only kids that seemed oblivious to it was Mason and King.

This description doesn't sound "non-emotional". You appear to be contradicting your own OP.

WOW! Risky statement, flywheel! "Time will tell." I'm saving this post so I can come back 5 years from now and shove it in your face. How can you make such a bold prediction?!?

If I'm wrong you won't have to shove it my face. I'll admit it.

Pitino took off his jacket and his tie? How the heck are we losing?

You have to have an even keel with the players. Pitino doesn't.

No you don't. Coaches with a wide variety of communication styles succeed. What you have to have is a culture where all the players are bought into what works. Guys sit under Bo Ryan for two years and get yelled at in practice but all the players believe in Ryan because there is a history of success. So they sit and take it and they learn and then they play. My guess is that you had a mix of guys who bought in and some who didn't who were carry overs from Tubby. That doesn't make Tubby's system wrong and Pitino's right or vice versa. We need stability and then success. Once we have that the culture will be built and the players will become the ally of the coach. As new guys come in they will get quickly taught about what to expect and that they will be successful. If we had that culture established I'd be willing to bet that the Martin situation doesn't happen. Seniors would have taken him aside and talked him off the wall.

Pitino has to get his own guys in here and get them bought in to what he is doing and how he communicates. We fans will have to hang in there for a while. My main interest is that he is recruiting with great energy and I believe he will do that. the rest will come.

No you don't. Coaches with a wide variety of communication styles succeed. What you have to have is a culture where all the players are bought into what works. Guys sit under Bo Ryan for two years and get yelled at in practice but all the players believe in Ryan because there is a history of success. So they sit and take it and they learn and then they play. My guess is that you had a mix of guys who bought in and some who didn't who were carry overs from Tubby. That doesn't make Tubby's system wrong and Pitino's right or vice versa. We need stability and then success. Once we have that the culture will be built and the players will become the ally of the coach. As new guys come in they will get quickly taught about what to expect and that they will be successful. If we had that culture established I'd be willing to bet that the Martin situation doesn't happen. Seniors would have taken him aside and talked him off the wall. Pitino has to get his own guys in here and get them bought in to what he is doing and how he communicates. We fans will have to hang in there for a while. My main interest is that he is recruiting with great energy and I believe he will do that. the rest will come.

Well said. I've never understood the "you can't yell at players and win!!!!" Stuff. Cal yells at his guys constantly and just went 31-0. Moral of the story, if you have the talent and the buy in you can coach any darn way you please (provided no one is getting choked of course)

Well said. I've never understood the "you can't yell at players and win!!!!" Stuff. Cal yells at his guys constantly and just went 31-0. Moral of the story, if you have the talent and the buy in you can coach any darn way you please (provided no one is getting choked of course)

I don't watch as much basketball as some, but I can't remember the last time I saw a game that the coach didn't yell at the players. I think Belien might be the nicest guy in college basketball and he even yells at his players during games.

Show moxie or be even keeled? Which is it?

Is he CEO Richard with his hand posed under his chin, or the immature Richard who spews in the players face after a mistake? Most of the time he is the CEO Richard who leaves them waffling. He reminds me somewhat of Dan Monson on the sideline. With Clem , Dutcher, and Musselman the sideline demeanor was consistent. Tubby had a habit of throwing the players under the bus in a bad performance. I've had season tickets under all the coaches I've mentioned except Pitino, but I have attended a few random games and watched how he operates in the box. Regarding the previous coaches I've mentioned I never once saw any of them get in the face of an ass't coach like Pitino did. As I said, If I'm wrong I'll admit it.Just cut me 3 years of slack boys before you throw me under the bus.

Top Bottom