Omaha World Herald: Tough to figure, is NU free fall a fluke 
or just a ripple?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Omaha World Herald:

Four decades spent closely observing Nebraska basketball has afforded me some ability to discern substandard play.

Thus, honesty obliges me to report that the product witnessed the past five weeks by those still watching Husker hoops is as gruesome as any similar period back through the 1970s.

Too harsh?

Track some numbers from the eight setbacks Nebraska (13-15, 5-11 Big Ten) has accumulated in its past nine games.

It shows these Huskers not only losing, but essentially being noncompetitive from beginning to end — all while facing opponents from a conference that by acclimation is having a down year.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/barfkn...cle_4bea08b6-3090-5682-966f-7b11a18970d8.html

Go Gophers!!

Thought it was a very fair column. I hate to lump any team into this category, but this year's Nebraska squad reminds me a lot of Dick Bennett's grinding, average, score-in-the-50s Wisconsin teams, pre-2000 Final 4. The common thread between the two is they were/are positively unwatchable. One big difference, however, is I don't think Bennett's teams ever dogged him by not playing hard. These Huskers ("led" by Petteway) look like they've mailed it in on their coach. How teams like the the Gophers and MSU lost to N is something I just can't figure out.

Hoping and praying Nebraska is 1-and-done at the Big Ten Tournament because I don't want to be forced to watch them play more than once.

tough situation for any coach when the best player (petteway) doesn't want to be there. It seems like his leading the Big Ten in scoring had him thinking pro ball and i assume he looked into it enough last year to be told not to enter the draft and he is still pouting about it.

I realize its like a sacred cow on this board to mention a bad word about Miles or Molinari, but it sure looks like Molinari has his finger prints on this offense. I realize everyone here thinks both of those guys are great guys and they are personable, but the reality is they haven't gotten the job done this year.

Last year Nebraska was incredibly lucky.

They were 11-5 in games decided by 10 pts or less - most of those in big ten play - and had a favorable schedule where they only had to play Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Iowa once - all of whom made the tournament.

Everyone should have seen this year coming.

tough situation for any coach when the best player (petteway) doesn't want to be there. It seems like his leading the Big Ten in scoring had him thinking pro ball and i assume he looked into it enough last year to be told not to enter the draft and he is still pouting about it.

He is set to graduate, I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't playing for Nebraska next year despite having one more year left.

Last year Nebraska was incredibly lucky.

They were 11-5 in games decided by 10 pts or less - most of those in big ten play - and had a favorable schedule where they only had to play Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Iowa once - all of whom made the tournament.

Everyone should have seen this year coming.

You are the best hind-sight commenter on GopherHole.

I realize its like a sacred cow on this board to mention a bad word about Miles or Molinari, but it sure looks like Molinari has his finger prints on this offense. I realize everyone here thinks both of those guys are great guys and they are personable, but the reality is they haven't gotten the job done this year.

Doesn't Molinari specialize in defense?

Top Bottom