OT (Not Gophers) Kevin Noreen Commits To Boston College

Is he ACC material? A tiny charter school player, does he play on a bigger circuit during the summer? BC must have seen something they liked outside of his HS competition.

Yes Kevin is high major material. He was pressured into the commitment. Because someone plays for a certain high school or charter school doesn't make them less qualified to play big time ball. I'm sure tubby had his eye on him but probably just wasn't what he was looking for. I would have loved for him to play here at home. From the sounds of it schools will still be persuing him so.....

Noreen plays for Minnesota Pump N Run. He's is a very good shooter from what I've seen. I wouldn't bank to much of your opinion on him based on where he plays in HS (MN Transitions). Good for him to earn the opportunity to play in the ACC.

The reaction to this news over at Williams Arena was a big Yawn. Should be interesting to see what school he transfers to in a couple years.

Not ripping him, if I were an ACC coach I'd just be hesitant to put an offer on the table to a guy playing in Minnesota's smallest class level without being impressed with his play in the summer.

JG- what are you inferring with the transfer comment?

Not ripping him, if I were an ACC coach I'd just be hesitant to put an offer on the table to a guy playing in Minnesota's smallest class level without being impressed with his play in the summer.

JG- what are you inferring with the transfer comment?

Just a guess, but maybe he's inferring that he's a D-2 talent and will have to transfer down...but idk

One has to admit that Al Skinner has had pretty good success with players that other coaches have yawned at. There has been an impressive list of "under the top 150 list" players who have had great carreers at BC. Everyone knows the Troy Bell story, Craig Smith, Jared Dudley, Ryan Sidney and Tyrese Rice (nearly Dan Coleman) also come to mind. I've never seen Noreen play and this post isn't about his ability, only a recognition of Skinners knack of finding players who on first glance seem to be "not ACC players" and turning them into good fits on some very good teams. I wish the kid good luck, but I think we'll be just fine without him.

Kevin Noreen is good not great.

I have seen Noreen play on several occassions and he does one thing really well. He is a very good 6'8" shooter. He isnt overly athletic and he isnt the type of kid who will be a post player at the college level. He is a solid prospect but he isnt the type of guy you worry about losing to another school. Noreen would be better served at a smaller D-I program like a SDSU, NDSU, Northern Iowa type of place.

I have to agree with WolfontheProwl. I've seen him play a couple of times and he did not impress me much at all. He is a 6'8" shooter who really doesn't want to play down low. One of the games I saw him he had 6" on the guy defending him and I don't remember him even trying to post up once. He's not all that athletic and scores so much in high school because he can shoot over his competition. Not many Class A teams have guys with height.
All that said he does have some raw talent and with some good coaching he may very well turn out to be a good player in the right system. From what I saw in his high school games is that they play and iso offense. Never really saw them play as a team and I personally don't think John Sherman (his HS coach) is a very good coach even though he is passionate about basketball.
On a side note I was extremely disappointed with the behavior of his high school teammates each time I saw them but Kevin was not in that boat. He was pretty quiet and did not showboat much at all. This is the main reason I don't like Sherman since he feels the need to run up the score against teams that are just out manned. Noreen should not be playing and trying to score in the second half when they are up by 40+ which I saw in one game but that's on the coach. The other two games were close.

I wish him the best of luck and hope he turns out to be a solid player for BC.

One has to admit that Al Skinner has had pretty good success with players that other coaches have yawned at. There has been an impressive list of "under the top 150 list" players who have had great carreers at BC. Everyone knows the Troy Bell story, Craig Smith, Jared Dudley, Ryan Sidney and Tyrese Rice (nearly Dan Coleman) also come to mind. I've never seen Noreen play and this post isn't about his ability, only a recognition of Skinners knack of finding players who on first glance seem to be "not ACC players" and turning them into good fits on some very good teams. I wish the kid good luck, but I think we'll be just fine without him.

Agree 100% that BC has a good track record of signing sleepers and waking them up.

I think he's a Div 1 kid but not at the ACC level. Maybe he will be another Skinner suprise, I just know that I have never seen him to much more than shoot over smaller, slower players and he plays much smaller than 6'8 and I just can't see him matching up with some of the athletic forwards he will see in the ACC.

By the way, Sibley East PF Marshall Bjorkland, who really wanted to play at MINN, has committedd to NDSU.

Troy Bell

Clem Haskins told Troy Bell he was D2 material and we all know how that turned out. Skinner made the right call there....

Top Bottom