Pitino Post game: Everyone had doubted us, everyone got off the bandwagon...

GopherLady

Reaction score
....and we heard that and kept staying together.

Here are the notes from Pitino's interview on 1500. GREAT win. Who else is too excited to sleep tonight!?!?

Pitino Post game vs. MSU
• We were here last year, and we laid an egg in overtime, this is where we're going to grow. That was a character win.
• They never quit, we had unbelievable practices, we've never gotten down, really proud of these guys, they deserve to win. They fought off all the noise, they deserve to win.
• Biggest win since he's arrived? First time in 15 years - We play here every year, so it's amazing to see this. This was so awesome. They made mistakes, didn't hang their heads and made big plays. It doesn't matter what our record was. Let's come in her like we did the Louisville game
• We made winning plays, Morris made an unbelievable play, and misses his FT just to make us work. Really really proud of our guys. Everyone had doubted us, everyone got off the bandwagon, and we heard that and kept staying together.
• Really efficient. One thing we talked about was win the free throw battle. The great things is, we turned them over 13 times, we only had 7. We were really poised, patient and efficient.
• To do it on the road, against a good team, and that team was playing very well.
• Really proud of DeAndre, he played to win the game, that's all that mattered to him. The nonsense he has to hear about being benched, he's not, he's coming off the bench. It was a great win, we haven't done this in a while, it's great to build off of.
• Mason set the tone. He made some big time plays.

Thanks for the recap. We listened too! Loved how Pitino wanted to get off the air so he could go back to celebrate with the team!
We had 5 turnovers at halftime, so only 2 in the whole second half and OT.

Oh and yes - too excited to sleep for a good long while. Here's hoping we'll be too excited next Thursday too! I'd love to see Bo walk in front of Richard

Thanks for the recap. We listened too! Loved how Pitino wanted to get off the air so he could go back to celebrate with the team!
We had 5 turnovers at halftime, so only 2 in the whole second half and OT.

Crazy good! In case you didn't see this...what a smile :)
Pitino Big win.JPG

Interesting comment about Mason. It was his turnover at the 2 minute mark of the 2nd half that sent Sparty on a 5-0 run that had me thinking we were going to size 1 another game, but kudo's to the rest of the guys to keep working hard and then tie it to force OT. (I love Pitino's snark about Morris missing just to make the kids work.) I was frustrated to see the size one neck rise up once again on that free throw, but thankfully the kids really buckled down in OT.

Thanks.

Konate and Diedhiou are going to be alright. They are coming along.

Thanks.

It was a team effort but Carlos stepped up and won that game for us (despite the missed FT)- which I love to see for next year. He played really efficiently tonight. Konate and Diedhou are coming a bit and they at least give us some size on defense.

About the cliche that everybody doubted them, that's a little overplayed. We're all disappointed in the session because we know how much better they should be. I don't think most of us doubted they were capable of something like this - as evidenced in the 'Tom Izzo / scary' thread.

Thanks.

I agree. I don't get the hate for those guys. They're raw, but I think they have potential. It's way too early to dismiss them like a few have.

Oh, and to answer the question, I'm WAY too excited to sleep for a while. This was thrilling.

Thank god my one year old sleeps like a log... Mommy was mad at daddy for karate kicking the air on Carlos's three and stomping my feet on his ft.

C'mon - we do need to give credit to King as well - 8-8 from the line and a very important rebound to ice the game.

I agree. I don't get the hate for those guys. They're raw, but I think they have potential. It's way too early to dismiss them like a few have.

Good grief, there's been no hate for those guys. GH is full of "they have potential but they're really raw." That's accurate, not hateful. I figured in two years they're going to be tough, but that learning curve is starting to climb.

Oh and yes - too excited to sleep for a good long while. Here's hoping we'll be too excited next Thursday too! I'd love to see Bo walk in front of Richard

Me too. Fortunately there are a couple hockey games on that should help me wind down.

C'mon - we do need to give credit to King as well - 8-8 from the line and a very important rebound to ice the game.

Kings best game of the year. He was clutch.

He was head shakingly good tonight in the second half.

Good grief, there's been no hate for those guys. GH is full of "they have potential but they're really raw." That's accurate, not hateful. I figured in two years they're going to be tough, but that learning curve is starting to climb.

You read this board much? There is definitely some of what you said, but also definitely some hate.

No, there have been a few that have written them off already. There's one in particular that has said multiple times that Pitino has no sense of roster management and "the Africans" will never amount to much.

Edit: Here are just a few I quickly found.

Mason will be a nice player, but everyone else he's brought in so far is crap.

He takes a couple risks on the pair of Africans, which might pan out in 3 years (sarcasm)

The roster has been so mismanaged and he's only brought in 1 (mason) player capable of competing in the big ten so far.

I was impressed with that touch pass Konate made to King, in the 1st half, when King had sealed his defender. It was perfectly executed lob over the defender for King to get an easy layup. That was a tough pass to make for anyone, let alone a rookie.

Oh, and to answer the question, I'm WAY too excited to sleep for a while. This was thrilling.

Seriously...I'm wide awake. You know a die hard when you're so excited about a game that means virtually nothing as far as The Dance goes.

Thank god my one year old sleeps like a log... Mommy was mad at daddy for karate kicking the air on Carlos's three and stomping my feet on his ft.

I was screaming so loud, my dog was actually terrified.

SO huge.

There's been a ton of hate for these guys...why do you think he had them off social media too? Lots of our GH'ers had that perspective, but the haters speak the loudest.

nice to see the Gophers on Sportscenter too. but even with only one Hollins on the team they screw it up and call Andre Lionel's son.

Stop telling GH about my being terrified when you are screaming loud!!! :cool02:

Oh, Dr. Don...if you weren't such a friendly stalker, I'd be creeped out :).

nice to see the Gophers on Sportscenter too. but even with only one Hollins on the team they screw it up and call Andre Lionel's son.

Is Sid working for SportsCenter now???

Top Bottom