MN Daily: Taking his mind off basketball; Mathieu’s infant son has been his rock

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

The Gophers point guard has endured a turbulent senior season. He’s missed two potential game-tying shots. His shooting numbers are down across the board. He’s been in and out of the starting lineup.

But when a rough day comes to an end, Mathieu usually walks through that door, picks up Elijah, feeds him dinner and then gives him a bath.

Moments like that take his mind off of basketball.

After being the focal point of Minnesota’s NIT championship last year, Mathieu’s senior season hasn’t gone according to plan. But through it all, Elijah has been his father’s rock.

“Having my son here really gives me that comfort level,” Mathieu said. “I know when I go home every night that he’s going to be there.”

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/mens-basketball/2015/02/23/taking-his-mind-basketball

Go Gophers!!

I certainly don't want to criticize Dre for being a father, and obviously I'm glad he cares about his kid and the relationship he is building with him. However, when it is basketball time, we need his mind back on basketball.

I certainly don't want to criticize Dre for being a father, and obviously I'm glad he cares about his kind and the relationship he is building with him. However, when it is basketball time, when need his mind back on basketball.

Dre has Joe Mauer syndrome.

It is all excuses.

Almost every year there are Gopher players who have kids. Williams had one, Mbakwe had one, I am sure others do too. It is not that rare an occurrence. Matthieu is having a lousy year, that is all, no need to create an excuse.

When you are a college kid - trying to play D1 b-ball - keep your pig in a blanket. Not that difficult.

It is all excuses.

Almost every year there are Gopher players who have kids. Williams had one, Mbakwe had one, I am sure others do too. It is not that rare an occurrence. Matthieu is having a lousy year, that is all, no need to create an excuse.

Um, please point out where DeAndre is making excuses. He has been as critical of himself as anyone on the team. The kid puts things in perspective for him. You might not like that, but he happens to be more important than making us feel better because the Gophers won.

Um, please point out where DeAndre is making excuses. He has been as critical of himself as anyone on the team. The kid puts things in perspective for him. You might not like that, but he happens to be more important than making us feel better because the Gophers won.

My first post was perhaps poorly written. My point is the media keeps going back to DeAndre and talking about the child. It is an easy angle that this has affected his play and is being brought up far too often this year.

With a possible NCAA berth and a potential pro career opportunity at stake, he needed to keep his mind on basketball, not something to take his mind off basketball.

Awesome but he needed to keep his eye on the prize.

Dre will have plenty of time to be a father because no one in their right mind would pay him to play basketball. Let's hope he's 10x better at fatherhood than he is at hoops.

Dre will have plenty of time to be a father because no one in their right mind would pay him to play basketball. Let's hope he's 10x better at fatherhood than he is at hoops.

Not necessary.

FWIW, as a D1 player, he must be in the top 1% of males in the US for basketball skills. 10X that will make him a heck of a father.

Top Bottom