Notre Dame coach Mike Brey takes shot at Big Ten

Sour1729

231!
Reaction score
"Notre Dame Mike Brey joked Tuesday that he knows of a surefire way to make certain the Fighting Irish don't have another midseason swoon like last season.

"If we could play in the Big Ten, maybe that would help us a little bit," he said."

Considering the Irish went 1-2 against the Big Ten last year, I'm not sure he should be spouting off like this. He could have easily named the SEC or Pac 10 if he really wanted to use a BCS conference as an example.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BKC_NOTRE_DAME_HARANGODY_MSOL-?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

"If we could play in the Big Ten, maybe that would help us a little bit," he said.

I'm sure he didn't intend it this way, but I can only think of two sensible explanations for this:

(1) He thinks the Big East is so far ahead of other conferences, with the Big 10 being #2, that even a step from #1 to #2 would greatly improve the W-L record for the Irish.
(2) He checks Gopher message boards and sees the recurring thread of Big 10 expansion popping up every 6-8 weeks. Since it's talked about so much, it's all he can think about.

In reality, I'm sure it was meant to be a dig at the Big 10. Maybe he's trying to rile up the Hoosier and Boiler fans around him in Indiana. Maybe he's just an idiot. Maybe he's just arrogant. Maybe he's just an arrogant idiot.

If he thinks Notre Dame wasn't a middle of the pack Big 10 team last year (5th or 6th place), he's kidding himself.

Brey is forgetting that he would go 0-2 every year to the Gophers. His better players would sign with Minnesota for a chance to play on a rasied floor and he could never overcome our home court advantage. Our raised floor is an indispensible secret weapon.

Perhaps if Brey demanded that his team play a little defense once in a blue moon, he wouldn't need to take a shot at the Big 10. Notre Dame basketball = soft as a baby's bottom, until proven otherwise (when the Irish decide at long last to pay attention to the defensive end).

Let's see, which conference was it that had two wins over the tournament's #1 overall seed (Louisville), including one by a team (Minnesota) that was the #8 seed for the Big Ten Tournament? And which team from which conference was it (Michigan State, Big 10) that completely outclassed/out-toughed two of the Big East's heavyweights (Louisville & UConn) in the NCAA Tournament?

Overall I like Brey, but what a bush-league statement. Especially considering, most seasons Notre Dame plays among the softest nonconference schedules among the major programs.

Brey is forgetting that he would go 0-2 every year to the Gophers. His better players would sign with Minnesota for a chance to play on a rasied floor and he could never overcome our home court advantage. Our raised floor is an indispensible secret weapon.

And as GopherLady so accurately predicted, the proverbial "beating of a dead horse" begins....:cool:

SS already alluded to it, but I would love to see how the defensively challenged Fighting Irish would compete in the Big 10. Not only a bush league statement, but a misguided one and also one that I wouldn't expect a head coach to make; no matter the intent of his comment, it comes off as a whiny excuse. Another fine Coach K prodigy ;)

Obviously he's not paying attention.

The Big Ten has been down somewhat for a few years, but looking at who's coming back next year (and who's coming in as freshmen) it will probably be the best conference in the nation.

Brey Is An Idiot

He lost to 2 Big 10 teams (Ohio St and Penn St) last year and defeated only 1 (lowly Indiana).

MrJ,

Maybe we could bury all the dead horses under the raised floor. At least it would then have a purpose.

There was little question that the Big East was way stronger last season.

Consider: Next week, there could be six Big East guys picked in the first round of the draft. There will likely be one Big Ten player taken at all.

MrJ,

Maybe we could bury all the dead horses under the raised floor. At least it would then have a purpose.

PicardNotAgain_anonib.jpg

There was little question that the Big East was way stronger last season.

Consider: Next week, there could be six Big East guys picked in the first round of the draft. There will likely be one Big Ten player taken at all.

But, the whole 1st team All-Big Ten team were sophomores and they are all returning.

Top Bottom