Changes we should expect in 2015-2016

jimmyvalvanoguy

Beleive
Reaction score
This season is a huge disappointment (sorry to speak the obvious ala John Madden). I would expect some changes for next year....

1) Possible change in the coaching staff. I can see either Ben Johnson, Dan McHale or Kimani Young leaving the program and Richard bringing in a seasoned veteran to replace him. Look for ex NBA'r and former Card and Wolf assistant ,Reggie Theus to join the staff. They could use some veteran NBA experienced coaching and would beef up recruiting. I would think Dan McHale is ready for a move to a HC position. That is my guess....

2) We will see a tweak to the off season conditioning routine. They have been focused on strength and weight training. Besides individual assessments and programs,
I can see Shaun Brown adding a focus on advanced physical and "mental" training similar to Navy Seal, Special Forces, Krav Maga, or advanced martial arts training similar to the sessions some of Twolves went through last summer. This team needs to develop some mental toughness and advanced physical conditioning to compete.

3) Richard needs to expand his use of advanced analytics. He needs to leverage more tools and capabilities that are available using IBM Watson or SAS.
It is clear that Richard is young and progressive and these tools can not only help him in recruiting decisions, but aid in pregame and post game analysis. These analytical models can take structured and unstructured (video, etc) data to help in real time decision making, game planning, and even player evaluations.
There is no margin for error when trying to win at Minnesota. He needs all the help he can get since he will have to win with 3 star type players.

4) Richard will be a better coach based on his many mistakes made this year. He is the type of coach who will self reflect and take some advice from Mike Ellis and his Father on what HE needs to do to improve.

Considering that the Wolves, with a mix of some notable veterans, two #1 picks, and some other lottery picks have a worse record than the Philadelphia 76ers, a team loaded with second rounders and D Leaguers, I'd say that the particular training you describe in #2 has not been a smashing success.

As for analytics, what makes you think that Pitino doesn't consult those now?

[QUOTE=.

it is clear he uses some advanced analytic tools. However, based on listening to his programs, and seeing some of his match ups, he needs to more fully leverage all the analytics capabilities that are readily available. He needs to take the next step in the process.

This team needs to become more mentally tough. Seal type trainig can help enable that...

Speaking of needs, I NEED a beer! I think Richard could use one too!!

Let's keep this simple. Richard needs better players.

When are they arriving? Next year? 2017? I would like someone to let me know how long we have to wait for these better players to come along and save us so I can start having hope again.

Johnson and Dorsey are good players. Better as freshman than Hollins and a senior. Probably north but combined with Mason this will be a great group of guards. I don't know much about mcbrayer but he can't be any worse than any 3 we are playing now. My guess is the team will win about as many games next years s they will this year. Then perhaps some brighter days are ahead. Who knows though, Hollins as a soph was just as good as Hollins as a senior Due of he better players around him

I think Pitino needs to add some age and experience to his coaching staff. He also needs to do a much better job recruiting. I think Northwestern is on the upswing and I cannot see that for Minnesota, yet.

Johnson and Dorsey are good players. Better as freshman than Hollins and a senior. Probably north but combined with Mason this will be a great group of guards. I don't know much about mcbrayer but he can't be any worse than any 3 we are playing now. My guess is the team will win about as many games next years s they will this year. Then perhaps some brighter days are ahead. Who knows though, Hollins as a soph was just as good as Hollins as a senior Due of he better players around him

McBreyer is known to be quick and a shooter. If he grows to 6'7" and can shoot the ball, we'll be looking at a nice class.

People keep saying how bad next year will be. However, I'm not sure how much worse it can get.

It may be better next year if only by default.

5-13 is still a real possibility this year.

No way they're better than Hollins as a senior. But I think they should contribute quite a bit.

People keep saying how bad next year will be. However, I'm not sure how much worse it can get.

It may be better next year if only by default.

5-13 is still a real possibility this year.

Next year we are bigger and more athletic but really green and lacking proven shooters. It will be lot for Pitino to put together but I have a feeling that next year - thought the results may be similar, will be a whole lot less frustrating. Next year we are building toward something with a young team. This year was supposed to be a destination and the guys couldn't get over the hump, didn't win the close ones and didn't have enough talent.

Look at what other teams have returning and what the Gophers have returning, what other teams lose and what the Gophers lose, and what other teams have coming in and what the Gophers have coming in, and it's pretty easy to see why the Gophers could finish 12th or 13th next season. Hope it doesn't get that bad, but it wouldn't be a shocker.

I was going to say all of our problems would be fixed with a practice facility but I guess after watching the women play this afternoon maybe we should just get the gym they are using. they seem to be able to hit shots after shots.

Look at what other teams have returning and what the Gophers have returning, what other teams lose and what the Gophers lose, and what other teams have coming in and what the Gophers have coming in, and it's pretty easy to see why the Gophers could finish 12th or 13th next season. Hope it doesn't get that bad, but it wouldn't be a shocker.

If we finish 12th or 13th next year, at least Pitino's seat will keep him warm through the long MN winter. That would be a catastrophe.

I agree. A lot of posters on here seem to be eager to see Mo, EE and others to move along so we can put in "Pitino's recruits", thinking we are going to be improved. I wonder what they are seeing? Konate tearing it up on the inside? Diedhiou? A bunch of unproven freshmen? What have we seen this year to give us any hope that we will be improved next year? I would be shocked if we are 10th or above next year in the B1G standings.

Let's keep this simple. Richard needs better players.

Stole my answer. Our only player who can do extraordinary things out there is lil Dre, and he's been maddeningly erratic. More talent is necessary. You can't keep a good man down.

This season is a huge disappointment (sorry to speak the obvious ala John Madden). I would expect some changes for next year....

1) Possible change in the coaching staff. I can see either Ben Johnson, Dan McHale or Kimani Young leaving the program and Richard bringing in a seasoned veteran to replace him. Look for ex NBA'r and former Card and Wolf assistant ,Reggie Theus to join the staff. They could use some veteran NBA experienced coaching and would beef up recruiting. I would think Dan McHale is ready for a move to a HC position. That is my guess....

2) We will see a tweak to the off season conditioning routine. They have been focused on strength and weight training. Besides individual assessments and programs,
I can see Shaun Brown adding a focus on advanced physical and "mental" training similar to Navy Seal, Special Forces, Krav Maga, or advanced martial arts training similar to the sessions some of Twolves went through last summer. This team needs to develop some mental toughness and advanced physical conditioning to compete.

3) Richard needs to expand his use of advanced analytics. He needs to leverage more tools and capabilities that are available using IBM Watson or SAS.
It is clear that Richard is young and progressive and these tools can not only help him in recruiting decisions, but aid in pregame and post game analysis. These analytical models can take structured and unstructured (video, etc) data to help in real time decision making, game planning, and even player evaluations.
There is no margin for error when trying to win at Minnesota. He needs all the help he can get since he will have to win with 3 star type players.

4) Richard will be a better coach based on his many mistakes made this year. He is the type of coach who will self reflect and take some advice from Mike Ellis and his Father on what HE needs to do to improve.

Reggie Theus will NOT be joining the staff. However, I would expect Pitino to add a veteran coach to the mix. Dan McHale will probably be in the hunt for a head coach job.
Young Richie will learn much from this years debacle. This team clearly underachieved and next year will be one where coaching, game planning, and player development will be very
critical and evident. Next years team could finish with the same B1G record and we will call it a success. He is already making changes to his off season training regimen.

Reggie Theus will NOT be joining the staff. However, I would expect Pitino to add a veteran coach to the mix. Dan McHale will probably be in the hunt for a head coach job.
Young Richie will learn much from this years debacle. This team clearly underachieved and next year will be one where coaching, game planning, and player development will be very
critical and evident. Next years team could finish with the same B1G record and we will call it a success. He is already making changes to his off season training regimen.

Interesting comments, is this just speculation about staff changes or something a little more concrete? I've heard good things about McHale (he had the game scout for MSU for example and was calling out where MSU was going with a set before it happened) and he's also been important on the recruiting trail. Hopefully, if McHale does move on it's for a head job someplace else (assuming low major out East?).

Considering that the Wolves, with a mix of some notable veterans, two #1 picks, and some other lottery picks have a worse record than the Philadelphia 76ers, a team loaded with second rounders and D Leaguers, I'd say that the particular training you describe in #2 has not been a smashing success.

As for analytics, what makes you think that Pitino doesn't consult those now?

I googled nitpicking and this post popped up.

I know you look at this 100x closer than I do but watching the Gophers our senior losses are definitely not irreplaceable. I don't feel like...albeit from afar...we get any leadership from our seniors. For instance, yesterday it was Mason's team. Joey King and Carlos were the other pieces. Mathieu had a nice game...how many others did he have this year?
Yes, Mo and Andre score points and when they both do we look pretty good. How consistent was that?
Of our 5 or whatever incoming recruits I do believe we'll get three people to equal the output of Mathieu and Hollins. Bakary and Gas will equal the output of Mo and EE.
But the biggest difference will be we are getting better versus having four seniors play wildly inconsistent and frustrating everyone. It'll be a different outlook or attitude about the future.

You all do realize we are #11 now? I mean, I don't think anyone is expecting us to be top 8 next season?

Top Bottom