This sucks in every way, shape and form

Stan

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Actually 22 years (1992-93) if you use official Big Ten stats.

Miserable. Between this and our losing streak to them in football, our athletic department needs to get its crap together. Totally unacceptable to be so thoroughly dominated by your rival in the two highest revenue sports.

Miserable. Between this and our losing streak to them in football, our athletic department needs to get its crap together. Totally unacceptable to be so thoroughly dominated by your rival in the two highest revenue sports.

If we wanted to spin this positively, this puts pressure on Minnesota to do just that - get our crap together. Our usual defeatist attitude would be that we can't compete with the best in the Big Ten, sitting out here away from the recruiting hotbeds. If Wisconsin wasn't doing it, our people would say it can't be done.

If we wanted to spin this positively, this puts pressure on Minnesota to do just that - get our crap together. Our usual defeatist attitude would be that we can't compete with the best in the Big Ten, sitting out here away from the recruiting hotbeds. If Wisconsin wasn't doing it, our people would say it can't be done.

Well said. A lot of people like to talk about the disadvantages we face, but Wisconsin is just as much stuck up in the frozen tundra as we are. There is no magical line between our schools that makes them better, they have just done a better job of making decisions than we have.

Except it doesn't put any pressure on Minnesota. Five straight years of finishing below Wisconsin in basketball should have been totally unacceptable and cause for a total overhaul of the basketball program. The same thing could be said for football. Instead, the status quo is allowed as Minnesotans either blame themselves- "bad fans" is my favorite we haven't had a winning B1G season in a DECADE, the Barn should be empty- or come up with crazy conspiracy theories as to why Minnesota continues to suck- "cold weather" even though Syracuse, UConn, and Wisconsin have been 3 of the best programs in the country since we last had a successful season or "pro sports" as if this somehow hurts despite the fact that Minnesota is the only D-1 program in the state and doesn't have to compete with any other teams for college sports dollars.

I keep waiting for my fellow Minnesota fans to demand more from the two major sports, but they never do. Instead expectations for both sports have dramatically cratered since I became a fan in the 80's. So many programs have come out of nowhere in both sports to become powers in the past few decades where all I read is excuses as to why Minnesota consistently is a non-factor.

Maybe we need 80 year old Jim Dutcher back on the bench. ( 1983 Big Ten Title ) Add Jimmy Williams as ass't coach. You know, the Jimmy Williams Tubby wanted to hire only to be lawnboyed by Maturi.

Maybe we need 80 year old Jim Dutcher back on the bench. ( 1983 Big Ten Title ) Add Jimmy Williams as ass't coach. You know, the Jimmy Williams Tubby wanted to hire only to be lawnboyed by Maturi.

Ruppert, I know you're getting older and it happened a looooong time ago, but it was 1982. He was an overall 98-89 in conference play.

Ruppert, I know you're getting older and it happened a looooong time ago, but it was 1982. He was an overall 98-89 in conference play.

Making a "point " ; it was a Big Ten Title. So I was off a year. Btw, you might want to look up his record against Wisconsin. One of the all time great choke artist in the history of Wisconsin basketball. LARRY HISLE JR. Sh-t the bed twice on the free throw line against the Gophers with the game on the line during the Dutcher years.

Except it doesn't put any pressure on Minnesota. Five straight years of finishing below Wisconsin in basketball should have been totally unacceptable and cause for a total overhaul of the basketball program. The same thing could be said for football. Instead, the status quo is allowed as Minnesotans either blame themselves- "bad fans" is my favorite we haven't had a winning B1G season in a DECADE, the Barn should be empty- or come up with crazy conspiracy theories as to why Minnesota continues to suck- "cold weather" even though Syracuse, UConn, and Wisconsin have been 3 of the best programs in the country since we last had a successful season or "pro sports" as if this somehow hurts despite the fact that Minnesota is the only D-1 program in the state and doesn't have to compete with any other teams for college sports dollars.

I keep waiting for my fellow Minnesota fans to demand more from the two major sports, but they never do. Instead expectations for both sports have dramatically cratered since I became a fan in the 80's. So many programs have come out of nowhere in both sports to become powers in the past few decades where all I read is excuses as to why Minnesota consistently is a non-factor.

In what way do we "demand" more? Other than money, I don't see what we (average fans) can do. Everyone getting pissed off does nothing. Not going to games doesn't help. What can I do to "demand" more? I'm not trying to be snotty or anything, I'm seriously wondering. I've heard others say something similar and have never heard a good response to my questions.

It's not like Wisconsin turned their football and basketball programs around just because people "demanded" it. As much as Wisky fans like to act like they are such better fans that other fan bases, the truth is they had issues with attendance when they weren't very good. It took two good coaches who brought consistency to the programs.

In what way do we "demand" more? Other than money, I don't see what we (average fans) can do. Everyone getting pissed off does nothing. Not going to games doesn't help. What can I do to "demand" more? I'm not trying to be snotty or anything, I'm seriously wondering. I've heard others say something similar and have never heard a good response to my questions.

It's not like Wisconsin turned their football and basketball programs around just because people "demanded" it. As much as Wisky fans like to act like they are such better fans that other fan bases, the truth is they had issues with attendance when they weren't very good. It took two good coaches who brought consistency to the programs.

You are right, there is nothing the average fan can do. It is all about hiring the right coaches. Wisconsin sucked before Barry Alvarez and Dick Bennett/Bo Ryan, Iowa sucked before Hayden Fry, and we all know where our football program was before Jerry Kill.

Top Bottom