Wouldn't Gophers vs. Texas Tech in Puerto Rico be a juicy quarterfinal?

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
I must say, hoping like h#ll whoever makes the pairings for the Puerto Rico Tip-Off decides to pair the Gophers vs. Texas Tech in one of the quarterfinals. This board might get, shall we say, "a little testy" leading up to and after the game. There could be no better gauge of where those two programs are in Year 3 than watching them play head to head on a neutral court.

For the record, the other 6 teams are Butler (likely NCAA qualifier), Miami-Florida (possible NCAA qualifier), Mississippi State, Missouri State, Temple (likely NCAA qualifier), and Utah (NCAA lock).

this-place-is-kinda-juicy-o.gif

I'd be terrified of losing that game. Personally, I don't want anything to do with that match up.

What the hell would Dpo do? Or should I say, which team would he cheer for?

I don't have much concern about the Gophers losing to Texas Tech, but Tubby's Gopher teams did have some of their best performances in these early season tournaments.

I do. As it stands right now, the Gophers might be the worst team in the B1G next year.

Quite the optimist aren't you? We have had a tough year. I'm going to say it'll get better next year. Dorsey/Johnson will play as good or better than Matheiu has this year, Mason will step his game up to Hollin's levels, King and morris will grow and We'll be slightly worse at center. Overall just about the same with hopefully different intangibles. 7-11 or 8-10 in conference next year(seriously will we lose so many by 5 pts or less next year? probably not) I'm all for being better though if they chose to be.

Quite the optimist aren't you? We have had a tough year. I'm going to say it'll get better next year. Dorsey/Johnson will play as good or better than Matheiu has this year, Mason will step his game up to Hollin's levels, King and morris will grow and We'll be slightly worse at center. Overall just about the same with hopefully different intangibles. 7-11 or 8-10 in conference next year(seriously will we lose so many by 5 pts or less next year? probably not) I'm all for being better though if they chose to be.

I'm an optimist and I think some of your assumptions are funny.

If this team will be better next year it will be more about player fit than someone playing to the level of our 2 senior guards. Nate Mason will not be Andre Hollins next year and our centers will not play similar style or ability in the low post as mo.

Will their defensive upside and ability to run our defense/offensive schemes make for a better team? Possibly, but individually we most certainly will be a lesser team.

As down on the Gophers as I am for next year...I don't see them losing to Texas Tech.

I watched Tech play Baylor the other night and it wouldn't surprise me at all if we lost to them early next season. Tubby's team is pretty young with three or four of their top players being freshmen. He also has a freshman center who I would say is well ahead of Bakary at this point.

I do. As it stands right now, the Gophers might be the worst team in the B1G next year.

Not an unreasonable view, but I think that can be avoided if Pitino gets two more scholarship players who can help. If he does, we would at least have better depth than this year.

Don't expect it to happen, but it's not really that much of a stretch Gophers could finish #14 in the Big Ten next season. Where are we going to finish this year (likely 10-13), and ahead of who, and what do those teams (Michigan, Nebraska, Northwestern, Penn Stae, Rutgers) lose, have returning, and coming in? The only teams I feel pretty comfortable saying the Gophers will finish ahead of next season are Rutgers and maybe Penn State?

I'm an optimist and I think some of your assumptions are funny.

If this team will be better next year it will be more about player fit than someone playing to the level of our 2 senior guards. Nate Mason will not be Andre Hollins next year and our centers will not play similar style or ability in the low post as mo.

Will their defensive upside and ability to run our defense/offensive schemes make for a better team? Possibly, but individually we most certainly will be a lesser team.

If we get worse again next year, that is going to be a pretty major disappointment.

Don't expect it to happen, but it's not really that much of a stretch Gophers could finish #14 in the Big Ten next season. Where are we going to finish this year (likely 10-13), and ahead of who, and what do those teams (Michigan, Nebraska, Northwestern, Penn Stae, Rutgers) lose, have returning, and coming in? The only teams I feel pretty comfortable saying the Gophers will finish ahead of next season are Rutgers and maybe Penn State?

Penn State loses Newbill (a huge loss) and Travis but does have a good recruiting class coming in (it is rated higher by ESPN than the Gophers' class).

Top Bottom