Zone D

Gopherbbdude

Reaction score
why did we not play a zone against NW. Isn't a zone better for defending the 3 in most cases? discuss

why did we not play a zone against NW. Isn't a zone better for defending the 3 in most cases? discuss

No

a Zone is widely considered inferior against outside shooting thus the phrase "shoot them out of the zone".

That said, I do believe we played zone last night.

A zone CAN help in defending the three by running a 3-2 zone. Still needs to be executed but just because a team can shoot does not rule out the effectiveness of a zone D (2-3 produces the least effectiveness) all together.

I was saying throughout the entire game that a zone could have countered what Northwestern was doing on offense - all the down screens and such. Time after time after time our guy chasing the shooter got gummed up somewhere, and the outcome was an open look. They should have at least tried it as a changeup. My observation of this team is that, for whatever reasons, they're more active and aggressive defending shooters out of the zone set.

It's troubling that people are suggesting we need to go to a zone defense to neutralize Northwestern

They opened up in a 2-3 zone and switched when we were getting torched.

Unfortunately the torching didn't stop.

Top Bottom