Amanda Zahui B

Sparlimb

Reaction score
Deserves her own thread tonight. 39 points and a Big Ten Record 29 rebounds versus the #13 team in the nation as Minnesota beats Iowa 93-80. Congrats to the ladies and especially to Amanda on her outstanding performance.

Just insane to watch! If you can't appreciate that performance, you don't really appreciate basketball.

Thank you - you beat me to it. What a dominating performance tonight.
Mods don't you dare move this!!

I'm thinking it's a safe bet we'll see her in the rafters down the line. Hell, I may stop by the American Swedish Institute and demand they create an Amanda Zahui B wing in the mansion.

I don't intend to pile on, or be mean spirited, but I hope Joey King (who I like a lot) and Mo think about 29 Fucxing rebounds, I SAID 29. 39 and 29...wow. One is a long way from 29. My god...

Zahui vs. Iowa - 29 rebounds
Gopher men (the whole team) vs. Indiana - 16 rebounds

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Amanda was Bucci's Star of the Night on Sportscenter.

Banham's absence has brought out the best in Zahui B. She has to be the leader now - the #1 player. Before, it was Banham.

An interesting dynamic for next year to be sure will be how the two can co-exist from a productivity standpoint. Plus, you have Wagner - who is also a stud. A nice problem to have.

It's amazing they're doing what they're doing with basically 6 players. They have to play a zone, not because they want to, but so nobody gets in foul trouble. They literally let the other team shoot 15 foot jumpers at will, not because they want to, but so nobody gets in foul trouble. They have numerous sets offensively designed to get the ball to their best player. And they work - time after time. They play with no fear.

The coaching is night and day from the previous regime.

I was curious as to the "B.", so I did a little research on her. What an interesting young lady. For those like me who didn't know, the B. is just a shortening of her last name (Bazoukou) to make it easier to pronounce and fit on her jersey. Came to the United States from Sweden, where her mother is half French/half Spanish. Her father is from the Ivory Coast. Now, she's in Minnesota, where she majors in African American studies. Can you say "worldly"?

I was curious as to the "B.", so I did a little research on her. What an interesting young lady. For those like me who didn't know, the B. is just a shortening of her last name (Bazoukou) to make it easier to pronounce and fit on her jersey. Came to the United States from Sweden, where her mother is half French/half Spanish. Her father is from the Ivory Coast. Now, she's in Minnesota, where she majors in African American studies. Can you say "worldly"?
Did she grow up in multiple countries? Rather than calling here a french/spanish/ivory coaster, shouldn't she just be referred to as swedish?

Did she grow up in multiple countries? Rather than calling here a french/spanish/ivory coaster, shouldn't she just be referred to as swedish?
From what I read, she grew up in Sweden, it just mentioned her parents' ancestry.

What year is she?

I've watched a couple womens games, she is a beast. Don't "follow" them by any stretch of the imagination but when they are on and the TV is still tuned to BTN or something I'll watch for a while.

Last nights game puts her in the rarefied air of Janel McCarville & Lindsey Whalen status. Congratulations to Ms Zahui B and the entire Gopher Ladies basketball team on a job well done beating the hogeyes.

Apples and Oranges.......I take it you didnt watch the game last night. Dont get me wrong, Zahui had a great game but 3/4 of the time Iowa showed absolutely no interest in even trying to grab a board. Laughable at times.

Zahui vs. Iowa - 29 rebounds
Gopher men (the whole team) vs. Indiana - 16 rebounds

Apples and Oranges.......I take it you didnt watch the game last night. Dont get me wrong, Zahui had a great game but 3/4 of the time Iowa showed absolutely no interest in even trying to grab a board. Laughable at times.
Sour grapes. She clearing /boxing players out

That may be the case, but she's still got to grab all of those rebounds.

To put this in context, the Swedish Shaq's 29 rebounds would tie for 4th on the men's list, and would be the most in a game since 1969.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/big10/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2014-15/misc_non_event/B1GMG.pdf , page 35

She does a great job of locating the ball off the rim and establishing her position. She is not at this point a great jumper, ( Kelly jumps center ) but that will improve.

Sour grapes. She clearing /boxing players out

He's not wrong. Still doesn't take away from the numbers she put up. But, yes, most of the time the only players she was fighting for the rebound was her teammates. There wasn't much defense being played last night. Iowa shot just 38%, yet scored 80. They attempted 84 field goals! When the men's team scored 108 earlier this year they only attempted 67 shots.

Again, not trying to take anything away from her. No matter how we spin it, that's still an incredible performance.

He's not wrong. Still doesn't take away from the numbers she put up. But, yes, most of the time the only players she was fighting for the rebound was her teammates. There wasn't much defense being played last night. Iowa shot just 38%, yet scored 80. They attempted 84 field goals! When the men's team scored 108 earlier this year they only attempted 67 shots.

Again, not trying to take anything away from her. No matter how we spin it, that's still an incredible performance.
You don't have to "spin" it. It isn't baseball where you can only get a certain number of strikeouts per game. Efficiency always needs to be a part of basketball stats discussions.

Don't

Don't start with the qualifiers, asterisks and disclaimers. 39 and 29 is 39 and 29!
Celebrate it!

It was against the number 13 team in the country. It was against a rival. Iowa fought to narrow the deficit margin from around 10 points to one point on several occasions. All of that is not indicative of no interest in winning by Iowa.
Celebrate it!

I remember when she was first recruited. A little bit of a mystery woman, but I do recall her having a reputation as a talent. I knew she had potential and played really well as a freshman, but this season she's having is off the charts. If she can continue to add to her game...yikes!

Dig this too, 39 minutes, 1 personal foul while grabbing those 29 boards. Throw in 4 blocks also.

What year is she?

I've watched a couple womens games, she is a beast. Don't "follow" them by any stretch of the imagination but when they are on and the TV is still tuned to BTN or something I'll watch for a while.

She's a redshirt Sophomore. There were some credit transfer issues, or something like that her first year and couldn't play right away. Redshirted her first year.

Two more years.

She could probably lead the men's team in rebounding. Plays tougher.

Zahui B. just interviewed on BTN and asked about how she manages her hair during the season. Oh please.

She's rather shy with a mic in her face. Sounds like a really nice kid though.

She's rather shy with a mic in her face. Sounds like a really nice kid though.
Yes, I thought she was excellent. Just tired of the fact that women always get asked these dumb questions they rarely ask men.
BTW - free black out T shirts on Saturday!

Yes, I thought she was excellent. Just tired of the fact that women always get asked these dumb questions they rarely ask men.
BTW - free black out T shirts on Saturday!

Well there was the one Super Bowl year when a reporter asked Doug Williams how long he had been a black quarterback. Pretty hard to top that.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom